Pinned Michael Wayne

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 27 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by ethanedwards.

• Re: Big Jake (1971)

Hey gang! With regard to the "missing" or deleted scenes in Big Jake, Michael Wayne was in charge of Batjac. He was NOT very well liked by most all accounts. He was loyal to his father's interests, sometimes at odds even with Duke.

He refused to release movies (a couple include High & the Mighty & Island in the Sky), for years despite HUGE public demand, as he was mecurial in nature, and was given to unreasonable and highly unrealistic demands at times. Not ALWAYS, mind you, but usually at the worst possible times for the company with regards to the fan base.

He was an incredibly shrewd & gifted business man, but had no problem whatsoever alienating anyone he perceived as an enemy - including family members. I know this looks like an hatchet job on Michael, but anyone who has read anything I've posted here or on IMDb knows of my devotion to JW, and my defense of his image and my disdain for anyone who attacks him. I've said all that to to say this: It would not surprise me at all to find out that Michael had refused to reissue any special editions unless some incredibly insane demands were met. I also would not be surprised if all the extra footage (if it does exist) was destroyed for whatever reason by Michael.

Also...Gretchen Wayne, his widow, took over for him as head of the family business, and from what I know of the situation, she is nearly as unyielding and unreasonable as he was. Ethan and Patrick, on the other hand, are both VERY fine people, and fair-minded regarding their father, his image and enterprise.

Wow..."them's more words I spoke since I knowed ya..."
    • Re: Sons Of The Saddle- Michael Wayne

chester7777 wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, Gretchen Wayne (Michael's wife) took over at Batjac upon Michael's death.

Meanwhile, Duke's son Ethan holds the reins at Wayne Enterprises.

Jim you are correct and from what I know they do not get along.I,am told
      Gretchen is very controling and on the outs with other family members.
      And also i,am almost positive Batjac does not make movies anymore.
      ''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''
    • Re: Big Jake (1971)

The Tennesseean wrote:

Hey gang! With regard to the "missing" or deleted scenes in Big Jake, Michael Wayne was in charge of Batjac. He was NOT very well liked by most all accounts. He was loyal to his father's interests, sometimes at odds even with Duke.

He refused to release movies (a couple include High & the Mighty & Island in the Sky), for years despite HUGE public demand, as he was mecurial in nature, and was given to unreasonable and highly unrealistic demands at times. Not ALWAYS, mind you, but usually at the worst possible times for the company with regards to the fan base.

He was an incredibly shrewd & gifted business man, but had no problem whatsoever alienating anyone he perceived as an enemy - including family members. I know this looks like an hatchet job on Michael, but anyone who has read anything I've posted here or on IMDb knows of my devotion to JW, and my defense of his image and my disdain for anyone who attacks him. I've said all that to to say this: It would not surprise me at all to find out that Michael had refused to reissue any special editions unless some incredibly insane demands were met. I also would not be surprised if all the extra footage (if it does exist) was destroyed for whatever reason by Michael.

Also...Gretchen Wayne, his widow, took over for him as head of the family business, and from what I know of the situation, she is nearly as unyielding and unreasonable as he was. Ethan and Patrick, on the other hand, are both VERY fine people, and fair-minded regarding their father, his image and enterprise.

Wow..."them's more words I spoke since I knowed ya..."

Thought I'd copy this one over here, from the Big Jake review.
      Thanks The Tennesseean, it's a great post.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

Mr Tennesseean,
      I think it is great, the devotin that you have for JW but to use your words, the hatchet job you did on Michael is so far from the truth. Michael was a good friend of mine and he was a very well respected business man, if you made a deal with him all you needed was a hand shack. He was so well liked that there were over 1600 people at his funeral mass and most were from the movie business.
      Michael didn't release High And The Mighty and Island In The Sky because they needed major restoration and and at the time the technology wasn't available to do it right, and when it was available he wasn't in very good health so he couldn't put the time into it. When it comes to Big Jake, Batjac doesn't own the rights to the film and if the people that do don't ask for the deleted scenes, if there are any how can you blame Michael.
      I have never met Patrick but he seems like a great guy but Ethan if he is so fair-minded regarding his fathers image then why dose he have that guy that bans everybody running his website.
      Like I said before Michael was a good friend of mine and I respect your devotion to his father, but I will always be devoted to Michael and I was a lucky man to have known him.
      Chris

Thanks Chris!

I have never had the pleasure of meeting Michael but I know people who knew him such as Luster Bayless and they have nothing but kind words for him. I,am sure no one here meant any disrespect.
      ''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

Chris - It was never my intention to insult anyone, and I wasn't the person who pasted this here. My original post had to do with Big Jake. Since you knew Michael Wayne, you'll need to read my post again. He was a good businessman, and I made sure to point out that he wasn't ALWAYS difficult to work with, but he could be, and with some regularity. This comes from people who dealt with him more than a few times (some good, some not), and with all due respect to you and your "hand shake deals" with Michael, you are the ONLY one that I've heard of that had the honor of this, it seems.

I know you expect that to be a "man's word is his bond" kind of doing business, but that is NOT the way business is done at ALL in Hollywood and you know it. You would be eaten ALIVE in your first deal, and MW knew that better than anyone, so don't try acting that way with the adults on this board.

Due to the number of people that have spoken of having "less than positive" dealings with him (including many that I know personally and trust), I stand by my post. As I said before, he's done so much for his dad's image and name through the years, but there HAVE been down sides.

As to the release of the movies you and I mentioned, there WERE issues regarding restoration to VHS yes (the DVDs came out years after his death), but it has been pointed out MANY times by more than a few people that MW WAS holding out for reasons known to himself, BUT...it is true he was seriously ill for quite some time with Lupus before he passed away from heart failure.

No matter what ANYONE thought about MW's tactics at times (you and I won't agree, and that's ok-because we're all grownups), he WAS JW's son, and THAT in large part was why there were 1600 people at his mass.

Chris - I worked in LA for many years and knew a wide variety of folks in nearly every aspect of entertainment, and you learn right away to tell shoe polish from shinola. I don't spread rumors, as it's an insult to the person's memory, and I'm curious as to the comment you made about Ethan. What did you mean, exactly? I'm not trying to be combative, I'm just trying to be clear.

As to Big Jake, did you read my next post? I realize Batjac might not still own the rights to it, but the missing reels might be sitting in a vault unnoticed, and Paramount Home Video (who released the DVD) might've chosen to use the scenes had they known about them, OR...as it goes a lot of times, they might just have wanted to get it out quick. Again - cherish what you had with MW, but don't shoot the messenger simply because you don't agree with the message. It was not spoken out of malice.

The post was edited 1 time, last by The Tennesseean ().

I never said that Michael wasn't a tuff business man, your right that you would be eaten alive in that business, but I got to know him after he was done making films and all of my business was done on a hand shake. I am one adult that new him and he may be tuff but he was very fair when it came to the business I had with him. You are putting a man down that you never met I am assuming and are going on hearsay from people you say you trust, but what is the purpose of putting a man down when he never did you wrong.
      When it comes to his funeral mass would you have gone to the mass because he was JW's son if you didn't like him. I will agree that some of the people that were at the mass were people looking to see stars, but those stars and movie people were there out of respect for Michael.
      As for what I said about Ethan if he is looking out for his fathers image why would he put Dakota Surfer in charge of the website for his fathers fans and all he dose is ban everyone from the site for not agreeing with him. I know some people that have called about what is happing on the website and nothing has been done as far as I know but I can't get on.
      You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that, but Michael was a friend and I will defend him so people will not form there opinion on the negative hearsay like you have.

Chris - I'm glad you had a good relationship with Michael, and I mean that sincerely. As to the issue with Ethan...I don't know how to help you there.

As for everything else, I'll just borrow a line from Forrest Gump and reply..."That's all I have to say about that..."

The post was edited 1 time, last by The Tennesseean ().