General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,147,837 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I thought Patrick McGoohan's portrayel of the prison warden in "Escape from Alcatraz" was perfect. He made Clint Eastwood's escape motivation much more interesting.

Kevin

• Wow, lost two more good ones from the old days, James Whitmore and Phil Carey. My favorite Whitmore roles were as Sgt Kinnie in Battleground and the Marine M/Sgt, Mac, in Battle Cry. Carey was fantastic on One Life To Live. Even though it was set in modern times, you could see Carey playing Asa Buchanan like he was Ben Cartwright, head of the clan. Sometimes he'd even pull out a six shooter on an enemy. I always liked Laredo too but, for some reason, I never got to see much of it.

• Here's a couple of more to add to the celebrity list of passing. Clint Ritchie, who played Phil Careys son, Clint Buchanan for many years on One Life To Live, also passed away about a week or so before Carey. Ritchie left the show a few years back when his health became a concern. He was a longtime character actor in movies, with notable appearances in Bandolero as one of Dean Martins gang members and in Patton as the near death tank commander who Patton comforts on the battlefield as he relates the events of the battle before he dies. He also did a good job in The St. Valentines Day Massacre as Machine Gun Jack McGurn who Al Capone puts in charge of wiping out Bugs Moran gang. Ritchie was about 70.

Also passing was singer-actress from the 50's and 60's, Molly Bee. She was a regular on the old Pinky Lee Show in 1954 and made numerous guest appearances on Tennessee Ernie Ford and Jimmy Deans Shows, plus a few teen movies from the early 60's. She died from complications from a stroke. She was 69.

And on the oldies music scene, Estelle Bennett, one of the original Ronettes from the 60's and Phil Spectors "Wall of Sound", was found dead in her home in NJ. She was 67. Bennett and her more famous sister, Ronnie Bennett Spector, along with cousin Nedra Talley had such hits as Be MY Baby, Baby, I Love You, You Baby, Walking In The Rain and, Do I Love You.

• WaynamoJim,

You are a wealth of information. Thanks for the list. I am not familiar with the ones you mention, but it is sad to see the classic people from a classic age go, even if they are not the major actors of the motion pictures era. They filled in the roles that made the major actors portrayed. May they rest in peace.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Well, I'll tell you Hondo, in a few short months, I'm going to be 62. And now I find that you notice people passing on more than you did when younger. I read the obits in the paper to see if people I've known over the years have died and when I hear that some celeb from my younger days passes on, I jump on it. It's like my era is fading away and I'm very aware of it.

• I just learned of Mr. Harvey's death . . . it hardly seems possible, it sometimes seemed that he had been around forever, and would continue to be. His wife died less than a year ago, so it is not very surprising.

Sad, nonetheless. We really enjoyed listening to his daily "News and Commentary."

RIP, Paul Harvey!

Cheter :newyear:

• The news will never be the same without him.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• When I was working, I would be driving around on business and he would be on during that period and I would listen extensively. Loved his delivery and subject matter. R.I.P. Paul Harvey.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• The old saying, "Life is short" came to mind when I heard she passed. It's a shame when anyone passes, but at a young age seems sadder. My thoughts and prayers go out to Liam and her family.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• R.I.P. Natasha Richardson. This was a terrible shame. I suspect they will find a weak blood vessel in the brain was the cause - it could have blown at any time and though the accident seemed trivial enough, it was sufficient to trigger the event.
    My thoughts and prayers go out to Liam Neeson and the rest of the family.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• It's such a shame that Nataha Richardson passed away, may she Rest In Peace.

I hadn't heard that Phillip Carey and James Whitmore Sr. both had passed away-may they also Rest in Peace.

I too liked James Witmore best as Sgt. Kinnie. Now Battleground has no major stars still living unless were lucky that Don Taylor is still alive?

Update and correction: the last major star who was in Battleground who is still alive is none other than James Arness Aka Garvey.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().