Where Eagles Dare (1969)

There are 32 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 41,270 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I'm going against the tide of popularity on this one. Eagles is an excellent movie and I saw it three times upon its initial release, however, I have to defend "The Guns of Navarone" as a better war movie.
    Both are authored by the same person, yet there's really no suspense in Eagles about the survival of the heroes. Granted, both films are similar in that a group of infiltrators/experts go behind enemy lines on hopeless tasks, but somehow you just know that Burton and Eastwood will triumph.
    Navarone also leads you to believe that the mission will be a success, but you don't know who is going to survive. The characters all seem vulnerable.
    Eagles has over the top action - jumping from frozen cable cars, Clint firing two machine guns at once, fat old Burton climbing up a rope. Navarone has Quinn sniping at Alpine Corps and scrambling, Baker bungling a knife stabbing and Darren losing focus resulting in his death. Much more realistic.
    The prelude to Navarone is also more probable. Kheros and newly designed radar controlled guns blocking a sea rescue are much more believable than the Cartwright Jones/invasion plans premise.
    Thanks for indulging my screed.

We deal in lead, friend.

• I agree here and love em both. Guns has the edge on this one for being more believable and at least their uniforms were made to look more accurate than the ones in W.E.D. As a collector-that detail means a lot to me-though I always did and will love the movie ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I agree here and love em both. Guns has the edge on this one for being more believable and at least their uniforms were made to look more accurate than the ones in W.E.D. As a collector-that detail means a lot to me-though I always did and will love the movie ;-))

Ditto here, Navarone for me :)

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Navarone is a favorite of mine too. Thanks to a VERY generous person by the name of Bill--I got many great images from that movie now into my collection. ;-))

All this talk makes me want to watch it again now.
    A bit soon as I only watched it a couple of months ago when it came out on Blu ray, plus we're on a Duke forum and there are still lots of the Duke's films I have yet to see!

• All this talk makes me want to watch it again now.
    A bit soon as I only watched it a couple of months ago when it came out on Blu ray, plus we're on a Duke forum and there are still lots of the Duke's films I have yet to see!

Go for it, nothing wrong with rewatching a great movie so soon. heck, since I bought it onl a couple months ago-ive rewatched The Tanks Are Coming and Northwest Passage-at least 5-6 times already. Each time I notice somehting new.

• Go for it, nothing wrong with rewatching a great movie so soon. heck, since I bought it onl a couple months ago-ive rewatched The Tanks Are Coming and Northwest Passage-at least 5-6 times already. Each time I notice somehting new.

Impressive!
    I've never seen the tanks are coming.
    I take it it's a good one! :wink_smile:

• Impressive!
    I've never seen the tanks are coming.
    I take it it's a good one! :wink_smile:

Even thought it has to do with the American 3rd Armored Division in WWII--I think you will greatly enjoy seeing Sarge "Sullivan" who was actually (S.Sgt Lafayette G. Pool) in action. I highly recommend this movie.

• Fairly recently, I got a great Chicago tribune press photo for the original release of this movie-showing Burton and the "babe". As well, about a year or so ago-got a great shot of Eastwood in the castle having a firefight with the German soldiers in the corridor by the stairs. Ill try getting those here some time too.