Open Range (2003)

There are 29 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 22,629 times. The latest Post () was by Gorch.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• OPEN RANGE

DIRECTED AND PRODUCED BY KEVIN COSTNER
    TIG/ TOUCHSTONE PICTURES

Photo with the courtesy of Gorch

Information From IMDb

Plot Summary
    Boss Spearman, Charley Waite, Mose Harrison and Button freegraze their cattle across the vast prairies of the West, sharing a friendship forged by a steadfast code of honor and living a life unencumbered by civilization. When their wayward herd forces them near the small town of Harmonville, the cowboys encounter a corrupt sheriff and kingpin rancher who govern the territory through fear, tyranny and violence. Boss and Charley find themselves inextricably drawn towards an inevitable showdown, as they are forced to defend the freedom and values of a lifestyle that is all too quickly vanishing. Amidst the turmoil, life suddenly takes an unexpected turn for the loner Charley when he meets the beautiful and warm spirited Sue Barlow, a woman who embraces both his heart and his soul.
    Written by Sujit R. Varma

Cast
    Robert Duvall ... Boss Spearman
    Kevin Costner ... Charley Waite
    Annette Bening ... Sue Barlow
    Michael Gambon ... Denton Baxter
    Michael Jeter ... Percy
    Diego Luna ... Button
    James Russo ... Sheriff Poole
    Abraham Benrubi ... Mose
    Dean McDermott ... Doc Barlow
    Kim Coates ... Butler
    Herb Kohler ... Cafe Man
    Peter MacNeill ... Mack
    Cliff Saunders ... Ralph
    Patricia Stutz ... Ralph's Wife (as Pat Stutz)
    Julian Richings ... Wylie
    Ian Tracey ... Tom
    Rod Wilson ... Gus
    Diego Diablo Del Mar ... Ballester (as Diego Del Mar)
    Patricia Benedict ... Cafe Woman
    Tim Koetting ... Bartender Bill
    Tom Carey ... Ray
    Kurtis Sanheim ... Cory
    Billy Morton ... Junior
    Alex Zahara ... Chet
    Chad Camilleri ... Ace
    Greg Schlosser ... Pete
    Guy Bews ... Roy
    Lorette Clow ... Mack's Wife
    Alexis Cerkiewicz ... Mack's Daughter

Writing credits
    (WGA)
    Lauran Paine (novel "The Open Range Men")
    Craig Storper (screenplay)

ALSO Produced by
    Armyan Bernstein .... executive producer
    Jake Eberts .... producer
    Craig Storper .... executive producer
    David Valdes .... producer

Original Music
    Michael Kamen

Cinematography
    J. Michael Muro

Trivia
    * Producers Kevin Costner, Jake Eberts and 'David Valdes' put up almost half of the budget from their own money.

* Tig was not only the name of the dog in the movie, but also the name of the film's production company. Tig was also the name of Kevin Costner’s Grandmother.

* Kevin Costner turned down Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003) to do this movie

* When we first see Denton Baxter in the sheriff's office, there is a wanted poster over his left shoulder with the name of Lloyd Buckley. Gae S. Buckley is the production designer for this film.

* Kevin Costner spent most of time filming this movie with a burst appendix.

* Composer Michael Kamen replaced a score by Basil Poledouris.

* The rifle that Charley uses in the shootout is an 1873 Winchester sporting rifle.

* Originally the studio had Kevin Costner top-billed over 'Robert Duvall (I)', but Costner asked the studio to top-bill Duvall instead.

Goofs

* Factual errors: Charlie fires 16-17 rapid fires shots from one single-action, six-shot revolver - without reloading. In fact, during the first volley, he fires four random shots and then actually "fans" the revolver and fires ten additional shots into a bad-guy gunslinger in less than seven seconds, without changing weapons or re-loading. And then fires a few more rounds at still standing gun-men.

* Continuity: When Boss and Charley ride into the town for the first time, the front view shows another carriage directly behind them. In the next shot from the rear, the carriage disappears.

* Continuity: Boss and Charley refer to the dog Tig as "she" in early scenes, but Charley calls Tig "he" when burying the dog with Mose.

* Continuity: In the last standoff between the town and Denton Baxter's men, Baxter's revolver is not loaded, and then it is. However, just before the last shoot out, it is not loaded again.

* Continuity: Near the beginning of the movie, the horse herd strayed during a heavy rain, and is found the next day standing in a crystal clear stream. Following such a rainstorm, the stream would have been muddy.

* Anachronisms: A scene showing a trail with a horse and wagon shows wear marks on the ground which were made by a vehicle. The grass in the centre of the track would also have worn from horse traffic in pre-motorized vehicles times.

* Anachronisms: The loose horses in the Remuda are wearing modern English leather halters with brass fittings when they are driven into camp.

* Continuity: When Boss and Charlie take over the jail house, they close the window shade. Later, once they've fallen asleep, the window shade is open.

* Continuity: In a scene where Boss and Charley are on the range in front of a river with a high bank on the other side in the background, first there are cattle on the bank behind them, then the cattle aren't there, then they are there, etc.

* Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): There are numerous spelling errors on the note Boss and Charlie leave on the door for Baxter, though possibly deliberate to show their lack of a formal education.

* Continuity: When Charlie drops the plank onto the sidewalk step to cross the flooded street it lands on the far right side of the step. When Boss crosses over and steps onto the step, the plank is on the far left side of the step.

* Continuity: After the initial gunfight when Boss and Percy are trying to stop Charley from shooting the injured bad guy, Percy is holding his rifle with one hand. When he steps beside Boss to stop Charley, and the camera angle changes, he is holding it in both hands.

* Continuity: When Boss and Charlie are crossing the flooded street during the rainstorm, a wood-framed building is undermined and begins to collapse. After Charley crosses the street the building can be seen intact in the background.

* Continuity: In the restaurant scene where the Marshall confronts Boss and Charlie, Charlie's sidearm is covered then uncovered at different times by his coat as the camera jumps back and forth.

* Continuity: After the final gunfight, where they pick up Button, a wagon is driven into the scene. The wagon driver is seen using a handbrake to stop the wagon. In the next shot there is no handbrake lever on the wagon.

* Anachronisms: Before the final gunfight, Boss and Charley are in the general store. Boss asks to buy some candy, and the shopkeeper offers him several varieties, including "Ju-Ju Bees." This candy didn't exist in 1882, and wasn't offered until 1920 by the Henry Heide Candy Company.

Filming locations

Alberta, Canada
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Longview, Alberta, Canada
    Morley, Alberta, Canada
    Stoney Indian Reservation, Alberta, Canada

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Open Range is a 2003 Western film directed and co-produced by Kevin Costner.
    Starring Robert Duvall and Costner, with Annette Bening
    and Michael Gambon appearing in supporting roles.
    The film was the final on-screen appearance of Michael Jeter,
    who died before it was released, and the film was dedicated to Jeter's memory,
    and to that of Costner's parents, Bill and Sharon.

The film was a box office success, and was critically favored.

Directed, Produced and Starring Kevin Costner, I have had requests
    to include this movie, and now Todd can sleep easy at nights!!
    A beautifully filmed and directed film, about the range wars,
    and located in Montana, although filmed entirely in Canada!

Kevin Costner was top billing, but insisted
    that position should go to Robert Duvall as Boss Spearman.
    They both played great credible parts,
    and were well supported by
    Annette Bening as Sue Barlow and
    Michael Gambon as Denton Baxter.
    It is thought, that this, most recent of epic westerns
    deserves to recognised as a modern classic western

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 8 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Nothing much more that I can say. My wife and I really enjoyed this film and I thinks its a must have for any western fan.

Oh, I thank you Stumpy for speaking up for me!! I concur!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Same here. I love this film. I've watched it numerous times and still enjoy it. I think I'll watch it again tonight. :teeth_smile:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• i agree with you all - in 50 years open range named with rio bravo, shane, the wild bunch etc. as the great western of all time !!

[CENTER][/CENTER]

• This film for the western movie fan was a classic from the moment it was released. I truly enjoy this film, and one that I dare say I could watch over and over. Probably the BEST gunfight ever done on screen, a 10!!!!!

Regards
    Ethan

Don't Believe In Surrenders!!!!!

• I liked this movie very much even though I am by far not a Kevin Costner fan, but he did a good job in Open Range. I dont have nothing against him personally, just never cared for his acting style I guess. Some roles he fits in well and others just dont seem to click to my taste. Robert Duvall is a wonderful western actor and I am sure had a alot to do with me liking this movie. I have watched it many times and read the book, i dont think I would class it with The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance or John Fords Cavalry Triology, but is definately close to the top on modern made westerns if not at the top.

• Excellent film!

I never get tired of watching it. A modern day Western classic!

What a shootout scene also!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Monseur, you are a LuLu!" (The Comancheros)

• Open Range-probably the 10th or 12th time seeing it-like it more each time. Costner is perfect for westerns, and Duvall is always great.
    A fine western all-around.

• Open Range-probably the 10th or 12th time seeing it-like it more each time. Costner is perfect for westerns, and Duvall is always great.
    A fine western all-around.

I agree with you. Costner and Duvall really shine as do most of the cast. I've seen it at least that many times as well. More viewings are in the future.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Watched this again, an I am still think this is a great movie.
    A truly modern western classic.

Duvall & Costner had great interaction,
    and Gambon, menacing as the bad guy.

With the addition of a fine performance
    from Annette Bening, which made for a credible love story.
    This film was perfectly acted and directed.

Add the moving score by Michael Kamen,
    and you have a classic

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Totally love this movie.
    Favorite scene: At the start of the gunfight, Costner walks right towards the gunfighter, Butler, and says, "you the one who shot our friend". And Butler replies smugly, "That's right, and the boy too. And I enjoyed it". Then Costner pulls his gun and fires before anyone can react and puts one between Butlers eyes.
    Favorite lines: "men are gonna get killed here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill some of them".
    Also, at the end, when Boss Spearman tells Charlie and Sue that he's taking over the saloon, and Charlie looks at him and says, "saloon?" Boss says, "yeah, there's one right back there in town and it seems the owner died".