Hello from the Keystone State

There are 17 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 18,631 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi everyone,

My name is Mike and I live near Philadelphia, PA. I'm 42 and am a recently 'retired' Navy Vet (retired as a Chief). I've been a Duke fan for most of my life. My favorite films of his are "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", "The Cowboys", "The Searchers", "Sands of Iwo Jima" and "In Harms Way". I'm married and have three great children (ages 19, 17 and 13). Besides Westerns, I love baseball, blues music, writing and playing the harmonica. I'm looking forward to speaking with all you.

Best regards,

Mike

• Welcome to the forum, Mike. You've found the right place for a Duke fan to be. Make yourself at home.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hello mike, I am ex-Navy too. And believe it or not I am 42 years old as well. I only served for 5 years though out in San Diego, boot camp was at Great Lakes. I served on the USS Merrill DD-976, which is sitting at the bottom of the sea west of Hawaii.

Glad to have you onboard and hope to chat with you soon.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Howdy Mike,
    Welcome to the board, and glad to have you here. Although I didn't retire from the Navy, I did serve, aboard the U.S.S. Constellation, but that was a long long time ago.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Mike (aka MKotyk24),

WELCOME to the Original John Wayne Message Board!

As you can see, you have joined with a VERY friendly group of John Wayne fans, from all around the world!

I, too, am a Navy veteran, having served four years active and twenty-two in the reserves. I will be 62 in December. I was on the USS Illusive, the USS Epping Forrest, and the USS Surfbird.

We hope you will become a regular around here! Have fun reading all the information about Duke's life and career, and feel free to join in the conversation.

Looking forward to getting to know you better in the days and weeks to come,

Chester :newyear: (and the Mrs. :angel1: says "howdy!" too)

P.S. Among my six kids are 19 and 13 year olds, too! The rest are 29, 27, 21, and almost 11.

• Howdy Mike,

Welcome to the forums, put your feet up and join in on the conversations. I did not serve in the Navy, or any branch. My Father was a ex-Jarhead D.I. and it felt like it at home growing up.
    Good to see another Pa person here. I am from the Amish country area between Philly and Lancaster.
    Look forward to your posts.

Jeff
    a.k.a.

• Hi Mike

Welcome from the other side of the pond. I worked with the navy and always enjoyed the experience. My wife and I had some great nights at cocktail parties on US ships like the Enterprise.

I hope you enjoy yourself here at the site.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• welcome Mike,

glad you found us my friend

i haven't been in the army or navy but i was in the cub scouts:wink_smile:

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• Yeah, they are. I watched my son's Boy Scout Leader and had to chuckle on how he was trying so hard to be a drill sergeant. I leaned over to my wife and said, "that man has seen too many war movies."

• Hello! Mike I have been away from the board for some time so a belated welcome aboard chief. check my profile we have live close by.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Hi Bill, I've been away from the boards for quite a while too. I live up in northeastern PA, just north of Scranton, but I have family who live in Philadelphia - not far from Bensalem.