Horseless Westerns

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,349 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Big Duke, that was a GREAT question!! I don't think I have ever thought about something like that.

Whenever a question like that comes up, I am always confident that SOMEbody here will know the answer, and Arthur came through with flying colors!

Arthur, way to go, with that interesting answer! I wouldn't have thought Rio Bravo would have been one of the films just off the top of my head - that answer surprised me the most.

Chester :newyear:

• Hi

There may be others. Rio Bravo was mostly set in the town people rode in like Ward Bond and Colarado but for the most part Duke worked between the Hotel and the Jail.

Another question is can you class North to Alaska and How The West Was Won as westerns.

I was going to say The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance thinking that he travelled around on a buckboard but I'm not certain.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• He rides a horse in "Rio Bravo," when he goes off to find Dude who was apprehended by four would be assassins.

He also rides a horse in "North To Alaska" when he confronts the claim jumpers.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi

I was going to say The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance thinking that he travelled around on a buckboard but I'm not certain.

Arthur

There is the scene when he confronts James Stewart's character and brings him out to his ranch to teach him how to shoot, in this scene he is riding a horse.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Another question is can you class North to Alaska and How The West Was Won as westerns.

According to IMDb (not the final authority, of course, but a reasonable source), North to Alaska is listed as Comedy/Western under genre, and How the West Was Won was listed as Adventure/Drama/Romance/Western.

But Robbie's recollection of at least one scene in each movie where Duke is on a horse now takes them out of the category of "horseless" although they are MOSTLY horseless!

Chester :newyear: