Duke's Documentaries

There are 76 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 85,887 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• So far, what we can see here, is that it seems that quite a few,
    documentaries, have only been aired on TV and at best,
    have only been released on VHS.
    Now that most of Duke's available movies are now already out on DVD,
    there seem a perfect marketing opportunity,
    for the distributors to get hold of these docs,
    and get them digitally transferred!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Keith

I definitely think there is a market for DVD releases of John Wayne documentaries especially appropiate within 100th Anniversary year.

The John Ford/John Wayne: The Filmmaker and The Legend was made
    with the co-operation of Wayne Enterprises so lets hope somebody has inspiration.

Mike

• I'm a serious collector of Wayne/Hawks/Ford documentaries.

I'm still desperately looking for the HATARI! Featurette.
    It was shoot in Africa during the making and was distributed on 16mm and 35mm.
    Title: BIG GAME HUNTING WITHOUT GUNS.
    Also SPIRIT OF THE ALAMO
    & DIRECTED BY JOHN FORD

Anybody?

I have a lot of stuff for trade.

Also I can't find DVD reviews here on the board. RIO BRAVO is out already? (2-Disc).
    I wanted to know whether Warner was capable this time of digging out the fabulous Behind-the-scenes footage they have on my favorite Wayne-film. It is all in color, shows
    Ricky & Dino behind the scenes And I guess Wayne talking to Ford (who visited). A buddy of mine saw it in the Warners vaults and when I was with Warner Home for a business meeting I asked them about it. They said, whenever we're doing a REAL release of that film, that might be the moment to use it...
    Well, have they?

• The Republic Pictures Story released in 1991 and available on NSTC video.

A very comprehensive and nearly 2 hours documentary on Republic Pictures.

Obviously, John Wayne features in this story with clips from his 33 movies he made at Republic.

The video is spilt into sections covering various areas of Republic's output.

There are portions on the numerous Serials such as westerns, super heroes and science
    fiction.

Musical Cowboys Gene Autry and Roy Rogers are interviewed with numerous clips from their movies.

War Movies which covers Republic WW2 war output and includes Flying Tigers Fighting Seabees and Sands of Iwo Jima

John Wayne This covers Duke's output with Republic from Westward Ho in 1936 to The Quiet Man in 1952. Approximately 15 minutes in length in mainly consists of clips from his movies at Republic with little discussion of his dealings with Herbert Yates.

Extras and Effects shows what the Studios special effects and miniatures produced for their movies.

Later Years shows the move away from small movies bigger artistic movies and into areas such as film noir, anti communist and romantic movies and the final westerns plus the demise of Republic with television.

The Future shows the rise of a production company called Republic Pictures in the 1990s which were producing new movies for Television and Cable.

All in all a detailed documentary. A little more information on the studio history and the illustrious Herbert Yates and more on John Wayne would have been nice.

Mike

• Does anyone have this documentary on tape? If so I would be interested in a video copy.
    Thanks.

Conversation kinda dried up

• Hi Keith

Seems to me a perfect opportunity for one of your excellent sticky lists here!

How about it pardner?

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Elly, Hi,

We can give it a whirl!!

Hi Keith here is a VERY rough starting list which I can already see is missing on board with the duke.

I can recomend the Merian C Cooper documentary, not much of JW in it but BOY what a guy MC was!! I was exhausted just watching this.

1937 Nation Builds Under Fire, A
    1950 Dangerous Stranger
    1954 Flying in the fifties
    1956 Searchers The: an appreciation
    1961 Challenge of Ideas, The (USA Information Films)
    1970 No Substitute for Victory
    1971 Duke and the General
    1977 That's Action
    1980 John Wayne Story, the early years
    1980 John Wayne Story, the later years
    1980 John Wayne the Duke Lives On: A Tribute
    1984 Cowboys of the Saturday Matinee
    1987 John Wayne an American Legend hosted by James Whitmore
    1988 AMC Cowboys Harry Carey Jr and Ben Johnson
    1988 We Can Keep You Forever
    1989 John Wayne Standing Tall
    1990 John Wayne Bigger than Life
    1990 Memories of Hollywood
    1990 Tony Curtis tribute to John Wayne
    1991 John Wayne Anthology
    1992 Hollywood the early years the Young Duke Wayne before stagecoach
    1996 Hollywood's Leading Men - John Wayne the biography series
    1996 John Wayne American Legend (A&E biography)
    1996 Young Duke the making of a movie star
    1997 John Wayne: Behind the scenes with the Duke
    1997 Reputations John Wayne the unquiet american - (2 episodes of the Biography TV series)
    1998 John Wayne on film on Angel and the badman
    1999 Turning of the Earth John Ford, John Wayne and the Searchers, A
    2000 Golden Saddles, Silver spurs
    2001 Commemoration, Howard Hawks Rio Bravo
    2001 John Wayne Scrapbook
    2001 Monument Valley: John Ford Country (aka John Ford's America)
    2001 Old Tuzscon where the legends walked
    2001 On Location with John Wayne
    2002 John Ford and John Wayne, The filmaker and the legend, American Masters
    2004 From the Batjac vaults (Leonard Maltin interviews Michael Wayne 26 October 1994 Entertainment tonight)
    2004 Hollywood Greats John Wayne (BBC Series presented by Jonathan Ross)
    2004 Quiet man, the joy of Ireland
    2004 True grit locations Aspen Gold
    2004 True Grit then and now
    2004 True grit Working with the Duke
    2004 True Writing documentary
    2004 Wayne and Ford, an interview with Peter Bogdanovich and Harry Carey jnr
    2005 Apache, the
    2005 I'm King Kong! The exploits of Merian C Cooper
    2005 John Wayne with Terry Leonard Working with a western legend
    2005 Law and the lawless
    2005 Profile of James Edward Grant
    2005 Stagecoach a story of redemption
    2006 Batjac Story part 1 (1953 - 1963)
    2006 John Ford's home movies
    2006 John Wayne stock company: Gail Russell
    2006 John Wayne stock company: Harry Carey Jnr
    2006 John Wayne stock company: Sean McClory
    2006 John Wayne stock company: Ward Bond

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Great list Elly!!

There is a Discovery programme on the Death of John Wayne which is a discussion about whether he caught cancer from filming The Conqueor in Utah.

Also, there is the infamous Barry Norman Hollywood Greats on John Wayne from 1980 but I cant imagine anyone wanting to watch liberal pinky Barry grudgingly give John Wayne some praise through buckets of sarcasm and a hacket job !!

Funny how the only Hollywood Greats ever to be remade was John Wayne.

Mike

• Hello Mike and Keith

Thanks for the info.

I knew this was a very rough list partly because I have some stuff catalogued as TV others as documetaries and used to have some catalogued as biographies?

I am not sure what we should include in this list? What are your thoughts on this please?

Also what about longer documentaries like Martin Scorceses personal journey through American movies 300+ minutes but there is quite a big 35+ minutes section on westerns with JW? on the other hand there are some like the Hollywood series narrated by James Mason aprrox 450 minutes in total JW appears for approx 5 minutes.

Elly

• Another political documentary DVD that involved John Wayne was No Substitute for Victory which was primarily about the war being fought in Vietnam at the time and delves into the links with previous conflicts from 1945 to 1970. John Wayne provides the narration links between interviewees such as General Clarke, Vietnam Veterans and journalists like Lowell Thomas.

At 73 minutes it is interesting to watch and most of the Wayne links are filmed in his den with his Oscar for True Grit on display. Documentary dates from 1970. Film is available on DVD in Region Free. Print and Sound are Very Good.

Mike

• Has anyone, come across any 'new' documentary releases?

Here is an earlier thread, I've copied over here:-

Old June 7th, 2003
    smokey

sorry aec23 have never heard about this one and to get lazer disc you must be joking we are years behind so we may have to wait ages before it comes here :lol:

cheers smokey

Old June 25th, 2003
    General Sterling Price

Well done Chester...when you finish watching it, you will have the feeling like you have seen it all over for the first time...let us know what you think!

GSP

Old June 30th, 2003
    AEC23

Well, I just got my copy of the documentary, and it is really good. There are a lot of home movie shots with the Duke and Ford. Patrick Wayne gives both sides of the story on the discovery of Monument Valley. It was worth buying.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().