Books on Duke- Past Discussion (Archive)

There are 467 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 220,401 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• FILM STAR PORTRAITS OF THE FIFTIES, by John Kobal
    this is a selection of the finest studio publicity stills from the Fifties. Not text, just pictures. In JW's case, two examples, both by photographer Ernest Bachrach for RKO. The interesting thing is, the one made in 1957 was made for publitiy of Jet Pilot - which could indicate that Wayne (by appearence definitely in 57) had to come back for a sitting for that film.

• Hi
    A couple of week ago I bought THE JOHN WAYNE STORY by George Carpozi off ebay.
    bought it because it goes towards the set.

However I think it must be one of the worst books ever written on John Wayne.
    As ITDO stated in one of the first posts on this subject Capozi didn't like Duke but that is no excuse for the number of inaccuracies that the book contains i.e claiming that the first marriage between John Wayne and Josephine was not a problem as they were both Catholic.

What is worse is that two Heavyweight John Wayne Books - Prophet of the American Way of Life and John Wayne Actor Artist and Hero use Carpozi's book as reference although this does go some way to explaining how John Wayne was supposed to have appeared in Melody Ranch.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On a more cheerful note some more books in which John Wayne Features:-

Picture Show Annual 1956

Picture Show Annual 1957 - Article on The Conqueror

Picture Show Annual 1956 - articles on John Wayne and Stagecoach

The Film Review (undated) - Maurice Speed - full colour picture John Wayne and Larraine Day -Tycoon

Film Review (undated) - Maurice Speed - full colour picture John Wayne Lauren Bacall - Blood Alley

Boys Cinema Annual 1950 - Red River

Picturegoer 1957-58 Article on John Wayne titled 'The Star That Never Waynes'

Regards

Arthur

The Film Show Annual 1956-7

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hello All! Just wanted to add 2 more books I recently aquired of books made into Duke films. The first one is:

The Sea Chase by Andrew Geer - Pocket Books INC. 1955 (originally printed in '48) and

The Stars in their Courses by Harry Brown, Alfred Knopf-Borzoi Books 1960 (was made into the movie El Dorado).

Can't wait to read that one. That puts my collection of books aound 57. Gotta love that ebay!!! Dukefan1

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I do not know if I just over looked it in that long list of books on the Duke or not but about 20 years ago my wife gave me a book by PAT STACY about the last 7 years of the DUKES life.The book was "DUKE A LOVE STORY" ! She was his Secretary and later became his last love. She traveled the world with him and on Wild Goose boat with him . She was with him untill at his bedside to the end when he took his last breath. You Ladys will love this book its a real Tear Jerker at the end of his life. It was done by his sweetheart Pat Stacy from a womans veiw point ! Chilibill :cowboy:

• Ooops, I forgot to add another book to the list I got recently. It is:

Island in the sky by Ernest K. Gann Popular Library 1961 (originally 1944

The movie pretty much followed the book and was a good read. Dukefan1

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• "

SHOOTING STAR, by Maurice Zolotow
    Published in 1970, Zolotow was the first biographer to sit down and talk at length with JW – an advantage pretty much no biographer had afterwards

"

I was surprised to read this.

I have an autographed (by the Duke, not Zolotow) copy of "Shooting Star". I thought it was very complimentary of Big John but in the note he included with his autograph, he said, and I quote, "This fellow made mighty insulting mistakes in this book and wrote without permission, but I guess it doesn't matter; nobody's perfect."

It seems to me that I have also read somewhere (but can't recall where) that "Shooting Star" was an "unauthorized" biography.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I read somewhere that JW accused Zolotow of "sloppy" research afterwards but he was certainly aware that a biography was in progress and he okayed it - if not the finished book he must have greenlighted the project itself since Zolotow visited on several filmsets (he writes about the making of a scene of Rio Lobo in the first chapter, and there's a photo of him on the Train Robbers set, that gives you an idea how long it took to write it).

• THE FILM SHOW ANNUAL
    was an annual publication in which "The Stars Tell their Own Stories" - or so they were sold. In the 1950 edition, we find a story of John Wayne, telling "in his own words" how he gets up in the morning, says hello to Chata, then drives to the Republic soundstage, where John Ford is already waiting for him to shoot the interior scenes of RIO GRANDE. While there are many details molded into the story that might make one believe Wayne himself delivered the article, it is of course so that clever marketing put out things like these (it becomes clear with his line "Oh-oh, I better hurry, it seems everybody's one set already" which we know didn't happen with JW!). What is of particular interest is that the Wayne story is illustrated by pictures of his upcoming "hit": JET PILOT! There's a story about (or told by, whatever you like) Janet Leigh as well, and there's a JET PILOT photo as well. So that means back in 1950 the PR machines were already oiled to give Jet Pilot a head-start - and then they held it back till 1957.

• Hi ITDO

I'm looking at that article as I'm writing this. This is one of the reasons I posted recently early magazine articles about Duke. In a Picturegoer magazine there is an article 'The Star Who Never Wayne's'.
    Despite the fact that the stars relied on their public relations the pictures are good particularly in Picture Show and there are some brilliant ones of John Wayne in the Conqueror, with Larrain Day in Tycoon, Janet Leigh in Jet Pilot and Lauren Bacall in Blood Alley.

Oh to be young again

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

An embarrasing incident happened to me a couple of years ago. One Christmas we went to Gravesend for a Charles Dickens Fair (Dickens lived in the area for most of his life and the locals were heavy into his books and costumes etc) and looking through a local second hand bookshop I saw Zolotow's Shooting Star for £2.00. I almost snatched it out of the booksellers hands.

On the way home I couldn't wait to read it and in a blackened coach mine was the only light on. This attracted the attention of the courier as she assumed that I had bought a book dealing with Dickens. When I told her what I was reading she walked back to the speaker system and said:

Ladies and Gentlemen we have spent all day at the home of Charles Dickens and that man is reading a book about John Wayne.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• That was funny, Arthur. Obviously you're a man with his priorities in the right place. :lol:

BTW, what was your opinion of "Shooting Star"? Did you also think that the book was, on the whole, complimentary to the Duke?

• IMHO, this is absolutely the best place on the internet, bar none, to shop for out-of-print books. Not only are you almost sure to find what you're looking for (including all those Wayne-related books) but it will probably be at a good price, much better than ebay or Amazon.

When I first came across it, I looked up, and bought at a very reasonable price, a book that I last read in the Nineteen Forties, when I was a kid of about 7 or 8. I couldn't believe it when I discovered that book on the site, because I'm sure it has been out-of-print for at least 50 or more years. (I bought the book out of nostalgia, because it was one of my favorites when I was a kid.)

• Hi guys
    I would love to discuss single books and writers or experiences with you in newly started topics so we could keep lists like this as a tool where each new post means one new addition to that list. That way it could be great help for somebody browsing for books about JW.
    Thanks! ;)

• CODE OF HONOR - THE MAKING OF THREE GREAT AMERICAN WESTERNS,
    by Michael F. Blake

Blake covers the makings of HIGH NOON, SHANE and THE SEARCHERS and explores the code of honor of the three main characters, Will Kane, Shane and Ethan. They had a lot in common influencing movie-goers everywhere. Yet more interesting - to me, anyway - is the story behind the film, the making. After you thought you heard and read about anything there is on that subject, it's surprising that Blake can come up with new facts and lots of rare stills (Ethan and Scar eating lunch together, haha). Most impressive is the research about the shooting schedule. Blake can almost give a day-to-day account on the filming of Searchers. Even if we know of course that films aren't shoot in chronologic order, it's impressive to know how the actors had to work. For example, Wayne shot the ending with elder Debbie first, and only then would do the interiors with young Debbie. Stills from DELETED SCENES I've never seen anywhere before include the scene in which Ethan watches over the sleeping searchers, early in the beginning of the search. Then the arrival at the fort and the Custer scene, also cut. I've read the screenplay, and the scenes are in, but only seeing those stills gives proof that they've actually been filmed, waiting to be discovered, hopefully, for a Special Edition DVD?
    Ford lovers will get a lot of insight on how the old master worked.

• Hi.

Just out or Just about to be released:

THE LOST FILMS OF JOHN WAYNE By Caroline McGivern
    Softback ISBN 0954003136 155 pages

Dealing with The High and The Mighty and Island in the Sky

Recommended Retail Price £19.95

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

Just came back from a day in Brighton. While i was there I picked up an interesting book.

Its called TALL IN THE SADDLE
    by Peggy Thompson & SAEKO USUKAWA
    Its Published by Chronicle Books San Francisco

And it contains 118 pages of lines from Famous Westerns.

John Wayne Lines include

Angel & The Badman
    The Alamo
    The Big Trail
    The Dark Command
    El Dorado
    Fort Apache (About Which More Later)
    Hondo
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    Red River
    Rio Bravo
    The Searchers
    She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
    Stagecoach
    Tall in the Saddle
    True Grit
    The War Wagon

So if you want to know in what film the conversation went

"I say we do it my way - and that's an order."
    "Yes, sir. But if you're wrong don't ever give me another."*

This is the book for you

Regards

Arthur

* Ward Bond and John Wayne - The Searchers

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Chester

THE JOHN WAYNE FILMOGRAPHY

By Fred Landesman

536 Pages Hardcover Dimension (in inches) 1.18 x 10.12 x 7.22 ISBN:078641779X

This comprehensive volume covers his expansive film career, from 1926 to 1976

Listed in alphbetical order are such entries on films as Angel and the Badman and Noah's Ark that exemplify the more thabn 170 films that the actor worked on. Each entry includes the films date, tun time, cast and crew credits, reviwes and a synopsise. Also under each entry is a special sectiopn devoted to rare information and interesting details.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• EACH MAN IN HIS TIME, by Raoul Walsh

The only one of Wayne's director's who lived the life of a real adventurer. His very own biography reads like a Jack London novel. He rode with Villa. He was a cowboy. He was a prospector. An actor. Finally a director. And then he discovered John Wayne. He describes the incident in detail as well as the work on The Big Trail, which he renamed THE BIG DRUNK - for all the drinking going on.
    Book is out of print now and valuable, but still available in second hand shops.