The Sweetheart of Sigma Chi (1933)

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 19,561 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• THE SWEETHEART OF SIGMA CHI
    aka THE GIRL OF MY DREAMS

DIRECTED BY EDWIN L. MARIN
    PRODUCED BY W.T. LACKEY
    W.T. LACKEY PRODUCTIONS
    FOX FILM CORPORATION

Information From IMDb

Plot Summary
    Bob North (Buster Crabbe), woman-shy and a member of the college rowing crew
    falls for sorority-girl Vivian (Mary Carlisle), who is being courted by Morley Charles Starrett,
    also a member of the rowing crew. Vivian bets her sorority sisters that she can make Bob
    fall head-over-heels in love with her...and proceeds to do. Bob learns about the bet
    and calls off the courtship. But Vivian has also fallen in love with him.
    He has also been dismissed from the crew.
    He returns when Morley is injured in an auto accident.
    Will the team win the big rowing race?
    Will Bob and Vivian get back together?
    What about Morley?
    Written by Les Adams

Full Cast
    Mary Carlisle ... Vivian
    Buster Crabbe ... Bob North
    Charles Starrett ... Morley
    Florence Lake ... Dizzy
    Eddie Tamblyn ... Harry
    Sally Starr ... Madge
    Mary Blackford ... Bunny
    Tom Dugan ... Trainer (as Tommy Dugan)
    Burr McIntosh ... Professor
    Major Goodsell ... Coach
    Grady Sutton ... Pledge
    Purnell Pratt ... Doctor
    Franklin Parker ... House Prexy
    Ted Fio Rito ... Ted Fio Rito, Orchestra Leader (as Ted Fio Rito and His Orchestra)
    Leif Erickson ... Band Singer with Ted Fio Rito
    Bill Carey ... Band Member
    Betty Grable ... Band Singer with Ted Fio Rito
    Muzzy Marcellino ... Band Member
    Three Midshipmen ... Speciality Act
    Blue Keys ... Speciality Act (as The Three Blue Keys)
    Billy McDonald ... Three Midshipmen Member
    David Ward ... Pledge
    Lynton Brent ... Spectator (uncredited)
    Bob Farrell ... Three Midshipmen Member (uncredited)
    Jesse Hibbs ... Student (uncredited)
    Robert Morrison ... Student (uncredited)
    Gordon Oliver ... Student (uncredited)
    Max Terrill ... Three Midshipmen Member (uncredited)
    Dick Winslow ... Student (uncredited)
    John Wayne? ... Uncredited

Writing Credits
    Albert DeMond ... dialogue/ screenplay
    Luther Reed ... dialogue/ screenplay
    George Waggner ... story

Original Music
    Edward Ward (uncredited)

Cinematography
    Gilbert Warrenton

Trivia
    Copy in the Library of Congress

Goofs
    Unknown

Filming Locations
    Unknown

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 12 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• The Sweetheart of Sigma Chi (1933) starring Mary Carlisle and Buster Crabbe,
    was directed by Edwin L. Marin
    It is thought that John Wayne appeared in this film,
    but this is not confirmed

There appears to be a Copy in the Library of Congress
    Although there is no definite proof that Duke
    was in this movie, it is probably the one film
    where his participation is widely discussed.
    Tim Lilley and Fred Landesman,
    have been surmising over this picture,
    and are unsure as to the setting,
    but they do believe it was taken
    around 1933, the same time Duke
    received a contract to star in Dawn Rider
    when 'Sweetheart' was being filmed.

Photo courtesy Tim Lilley

This photgraph with Buster Crabbe,
    and Duke wearing a mouchtache,
    could be a still from the film,
    or a photograph taken at the time.

AFI said,

Although a contemporary news item in
    Hollywood Review noted that the actor John Wayne
    had been cast in the film, he did not appear in the picture

Tim Lilley said,

As more information comes to light,
    we may one day confirm this.

A real sweetie from 1933,
    Author: ptb-8 from Australia

Here is a film I thought was lost; I just cannot believe I have managed to finally see it. I recently manged to get a very (visually) poor copy of a copy of a copy of a copy from a collector in the US for which I am very grateful. While the picture quality was watery at best, the obvious cuteness, pep and effervescence in this funny spunky university musical reached across 74 years to make me yearn for a good clear DVD copy. THE SWEETHEART OF SIGMA CHI is just lovely in its music, it's lively funny tone, and the fact that it is made during the depression to entertain and make sad audiences feel lively and happy. It also boasts enough pre code beefcake and fresh talent to have kept it in circulation for most of the 30s. Here is a film full of unknowns who became major stars within two years of its release: Buster Crabbe (Flash Gordon), Charles Starratt who was to be The Durango Kid western star at Columbia for 17 years, + Betty Grable, about to appear in enough Astaire Rogers musicals to catapult her to heaven, Leif Ericson, and rising glamourpuss Mary Carsilse... and musical/orchestra favourite Ted Fio Rito. Also it is very well produced, with locations and sets/costumes that continually allow it to seem youthful, fashionable and alive. Basically it is about one girl who strings all the rowboat crew along, until handsome he man Buster falls for her and this pits him against rowing pals for affections and sees the big race in peril etc... Bustr Crabbe was an Olympic star from the Los Angeles meet of 1932 and instantly began to appear in films in 1933 when he was only 27. Has there ever been a more handsome man on screen in the 30s? His beefcake scenes in this is film (+ the Tarzan ones also made in '33 + as Flash Gordon in '36) gave him a reputation as the thinking man's sports filmstar. SIGMA CHI lets the shirtless scenes do the talking and I assume women would have yelled in delight right across America when this appeared. The musical numbers are charming... Grable even has a few, and the whole silly lovely sunny funny film is all over in 70 minutes. A good re release on DVD would be a great event indeed.... This again proves what a terrific young company Monogram was in '33 with an excellent looking and sounding lively film. The opening scenes presumably on 'the campus' look to be filmed in new Los Angeles streets with modern big homes supposedly as the campus houses; it allows the film to look modern and prosperous... then there is this great looking cast of 20 somethings in snazzy 30s styles who assemble and kick start the film to a delicious musical boost. It was re made in 1947 also by Monogram with the same title... and famous for a review that said "more bounce than a bad cheque"... well

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 10 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Apart from this film which I was going to query, there is another film called, The Lone Star Ranger, made in 1930, which I was told was another film John Wayne was in as an uncredited extra, can this be confirmed? I would appreciate it if someone would let me know at [email protected] many thanks, Clive.

• Apart from this film which I was going to query, there is another film called, The Lone Star Ranger, made in 1930, which I was told was another film John Wayne was in as an uncredited extra, can this be confirmed? I would appreciate it if someone would let me know at [email protected] many thanks, Clive.

Clive, It would be better if answered on the forum,
    here is our profile on
    The Lone Star Ranger
    where Duke's 'participation' is mentioned

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi

I have just watched a poor copy of sweetheart of sigma chi but could make out Buster Crabbe never mind JW!

Sorry that this is really no news at all but what I did manage to esablish was the publicity still shown below was not any kind of scene in the film and certainly JW (Duke Morrison) was not credited on this film.

Elly

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Thanks for this information Elly.
    It confirms previous quotes in this thread.
    The question is, do we still include this movie
    in Duke's Filmography?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Keith

I am keeping it on my list until such time as I can view a good copy and say he definately was not in it.

Even then I will likely keep it there as it is mooted that this publicity still is from this film. So if that is the case the JW worked on this film even though, as is also mooted his scenes were cut.

This is basically the same for Women of all nations, except we do not have any pics with JW from this film.

Both of the films COULD be viewed at UCLA to confirm or deny JW can be seen, but so far, I cannot find anyone to do this. SHAME but that's life.

Elly

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Both of the films COULD be viewed at UCLA to confirm or deny JW can be seen, but so far, I cannot find anyone to do this. SHAME but that's life.
    Elly

To bad we don't have a wealthy benefactor on this board, he, or she, could fly you on over, for a couple' a three weeks, to study the films yourself ! :wink_smile:

Chester :newyear:

• It was my understanding that the photo was a publicity photo for the film, and that although John Wayne was in the film, his scene was cut. It would be nice to find something definitive somewhere so we could know for sure.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• To bad we don't have a wealthy benefactor on this board, he, or she, could fly you on over, for a couple' a three weeks, to study the films yourself ! :wink_smile:

Chester :newyear:

Too bad we do not have anyone who lives closer to go and watch these films!

• I. “Wayne’s one scene in the film (with a moustache) was edited out of the final print. [Photograph showing JW in this role appears on page 348].” Page 3901

II. “Note: although a contemporary news item in HR [Hollywood Reporter] noted that John Wayne had been cast in the film, he did not appear in the final print.”8

III. American Film Institute list cast “Mary Carlisle, Buster Crabbe, Charles Starrett , Eddie Tamblyn. Directed by Edwin L. Marin”8

IV. No print has been viewed by the American Film Institute.8

V. This film has been viewed by the authors, however the quality is so poor that we were unable to say if John Wayne can be seen in this film or not. We were able to establish that John Wayne’s name does not appear in the opening or closing credits of this film.

With thanks to Elly
    John Wayne Before Stagecoach

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Chris thanks for your post.
    I did rip a copy of it and I will look for it,
    in the meantime if any other member can help, please do.

Here is our thread
    The Sweetheart of Sigma Chi

I have also copied these posts to that thread

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England