John Ford Stock Company

There are 52 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 79,411 times. The latest Post () was by EasternWester.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Just so you know Russ, The Sun Shines Bright was a little picture, (1953) that Ford put with Wagon Master as two of his favorites.......the ones that he actually accomplished what he set out to do. It has been missing for quite a while, I believe. I saw an interview where Pappy said he had never seen it and would like to. I just know that it was a comedy but had the lynching of Stepin Fetchit in it........the black guy who played Smoke Screen in Salute......actually, I think the original one had him lynched, but this one he was saved. It stared Charles Winninger and Arleen Waylen. Ford seemed very wistful when talking about it.....he really would have liked to see it. I don't even know the actors, but I imagine a lot of folks do. KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• LOL, very funny MB. At least your sense of humor is still going strong! And WATCH OUT shoveling snow with that flu and bad foot. You are liable to wind up UNDER it and your wife will have to dig you out! KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• New book now released

LEST WE FORGET: The John Ford Stock Company
    Bill Levy (2013)

John Ford (1894-1973) directed scores of memorable movies that feature countless scenes that linger in one’s memory. He is the only director to have won four Best Director Academy Awards, for The Informer (1935), The Grapes of Wrath (1940), How Green Was My Valley (1941), and The Quiet Man (1952).

There have been many biographies and film studies of John Ford and his motion pictures. There has never been a single volume devoted to the stock company of actors and actresses who worked for him, some continually, many intermittently, from his silent westerns of the ‘teens to his final films of the 1960s. This book spotlights 112 members of Ford’s fluid repertory company and includes a mini-chapter on each member of the troupe.

And it was a diverse group. One wrote three books on the Baha’i Faith religion; another boxed the heavyweight champion of the world to a draw; one eloped with Loretta Young when she was seventeen; one participated in the Yukon gold rush; a photograph of one player’s ear is the clublogo for a professional wrestling association; another taught Lucy how to jitterbug; one was a legendary undercover agent for the OSS in France during World War II; another was a member of the advisory board to the Bank of America concerning loans to the studios; two were rodeo world champions.

All of them, from obscure bit players to barely-remembered character actors to legendary film stars, made substantial contributions to Ford’s movie legacy.

April, who runs the great directedbyjohnford.com website, has interviewed Levy
    and you can read the interview here:

http://www.directedbyjohnford.com/blog/

Information courtesy of Paula

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• I now have a copy of Bill Levy's Lest We Forget: The John Ford Stock Company. I think this is a book many JWMB members would enjoy, especially the bios on the lesser known names. Some of these people led really amazing lives off-screen! Thumbs up. :)

• I now have a copy of Bill Levy's Lest We Forget: The John Ford Stock Company. I think this is a book many JWMB members would enjoy, especially the bios on the lesser known names. Some of these people led really amazing lives off-screen! Thumbs up. :)

Thanks for this Paula.
    On the top post you will also notice
    we have profiled many of the Stock Company,
    including many of the lesser known ones,
    in
    Pals Of The Saddle- Cowboys
    and
    Pals Of The Saddle- Cowgirls

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• More of the John Ford Stock Company,
    that appeared in Duke's movies
    are now profiled.

Our aim is to complete this list
    so that the connection between the JFSC
    and Duke is as definitive as can be

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• I was just thinking about him yesterday.

His book is my all-time favorite show biz bio.

I first saw him as Bill the camp counselor at the Triple R in Spin and Marty on the Mickey Mouse Club.

Harry was working on a sequal but told me the spirit was willing but the body was tired. He was kind enough to autograph my copy for me when he was feeling better several years ago. I too remember him from Spin & Marty. Wow, I'm getting old.

HarryCareyJr.jpg

• Thank you Keith for this updating of John Ford's list and how many films and TV shows each were in. Have you done one for John Wayne's Stock Co. or are you planning to? You Ford list is awesome, thanks again - Jim

• Do we have a thread for the "John Wayne Stock Company"? Since Duke used many friends over and over, it could make an interesting list.

• Thank you Keith for this updating of John Ford's list and how many films and TV shows each were in. Have you done one for John Wayne's Stock Co. or are you planning to? You Ford list is awesome, thanks again - Jim

Do we have a thread for the "John Wayne Stock Company"? Since Duke used many friends over and over, it could make an interesting list.

Thanks both for mentioning this.
    It is something I was considering after
    completing the JFSC.
    You have also probably noticed that the term
    John Wayne Stock Company,
    seems to be more regularly used.

Would like your feedback on this,
    as my own thoughts would be to
    consider all actors/stuntmen/ crew, used since
    Duke formed John Wayne Productions/ Wayne-Fellows,
    and ultimately Batjac.

Therefore the movies made by those companies,
    as in these productions, Duke had ultimate control
    as to the cast lists and crew etc.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().