Circus World (1964)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 183 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: Circus World (1964)

I'm still working with the VHS version that came out many years ago...just watched it for the second time, the first being those many years ago. It's certainly different, that much I can say...guess you really have to like those 135 foot yachts.

Roger.

erscolo wrote:

I'm still working with the VHS version that came out many years ago...just watched it for the second time, the first being those many years ago. It's certainly different, that much I can say..

We've watched it on VHS courtesy of the local video store, but felt we would be better served waiting for it to come out on DVD. Unless we invest in a region-free player, that could be awhile. At the time, the VHS copies through ebay and elsewhere were pretty pricey, which is why we don't own it in that format.

Chester :newyear:

I do have a DVD of Circus World that was released by Reel Corporation and the DVD is PAL format and media is locked to region(s): 1 2 3 4 5 6. Most computer DVD players will pay it because it looks at the region only not the format. But a normal stand alone DVD player will not recognize the format. If your video card connects to your TV you can play the video through your computer and my computer has 5.1 Surround to listen to the audio. So if you have a decent computer you can grab a copy of Circus World on DVD.

It's been so long I don't remember. I either found it on eBay or Amazon. I will tell you there are a lot of them on eBay right now that say they are NTSC DVD's but they have to be pirated or bootleg. Or copied from VHS which is the same as pirated. You might even check The John Wayne Film Society. We have some of those members on here. I am one and they have several movies available on DVD that we don't have here. You could email them also at: jwfs@filmcutts.com

WARNING: A word to the wise... the ones that are on eBay that say they are region free and are NTSC format I have found out they are from Hong Kong. In other words they are bootleg/pirated copies of the movie. They are usually a really crappy video. Here's the response after I questioned them on how they had an NTSC format.

Duke Pirate wrote:

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]My location in Hong Kong, Original DVD release in Hong Kong, Area code for all code area. Asia region availabe format for NTSC, O.k?

In other words they are crooks, scum, bootleggers, etc.
      [/FONT]

DakotaSurfer wrote:

Here's the response after I questioned them on how they had an NTSC format.

For some Asian countries NTSC is the regular format, Taiwan for example. Copyright laws are also different in some places. - Not that I've ever ordered from Hong Kong - I believe there's a good chance to get a low quality copy. Anyway, I solved the regions problem by buying a cheap multiregion player - £20 from Amazon. Has worked perfectly for a half year now, plays anything.

To the topic: Circus World is not bad, if not especially memorable. It has a very strange ending though
      I don't believe in surrenders.

WOW, I can't believe that I am again, going against tha majority and saying that I actually liked this movie. I first saw it about 25 years ago when we first got cable TV and had the then excellent channel: WTBS - Atlanta. They played it and I remember watching it with my parents and we all seemed to enjoy it. However, being that I have not seen this movie again in the last 20 or so years, my opinion might change. :yeaahh:
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

i remember seeing this film when it first came out in cinerama it looses a lot on a small screen. the big screen is the only way to enjoy this film.
      ''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''
    • Circus World

We don't talk a lot about Circus World, so I was wondering who on this message board have seen this movie. It has never been released in the U.S. on DVD. It is available or has been available on VHS. I happen to have a VHS copy of this movie myself, so my question is simple. Have you ever seen this movie?

You may comment on your experiences seeing the movie. I'm not interested in reviews from the video sources or Hollywood like imbd, etc. I am interested in your own personal opinion.

I will see my movie. It has been years since I've seen it myself, but I will watch it again and comment when I do.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote
    • Re: Circus World

hi hondo

like you i havent watched this movie ina while so i will have to watch it again to give you my views on it. by the way i have it on dvd my dad has it on video, i first watched this movie on video never saw it in the theather.

cheers smokey
      " its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"
    • Re: Circus World

first saw this movie as a teenager in the theather ,then years later on vhs. not the same. not one of his best but much better on large screen. this film lose's alot on the small screen.
      ''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''