Circus World (1964)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 183 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: Circus World

I have a VHS of "Circus World," but haven't watched in several years. As I remember, the full screen version was a hack and chop job which made it hard to watch, even if it had been one of Duke's better films. Since it was only a mediocre effort, the situation made it almost unbearable to watch.
      Cheers - Jay:beer:

I could not vote in the poll because, none of the catagories listed "fits-the-bill."

I have seen it but, that was when it was shown on WTBS-Atlanta, and was one of my most favorite TV stations to watch-once we got Cable TV in town. I will say that the one and only time I can remember watching this movie, was more than 25 years ago. I don't remember nuthin' about it at all-except that I did see it.
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

pard,

Hey, it's good to see you again. I see you've been a member for quite some time now, glad to have you post. You say you have Circus World on DVD. Where are you located? Circus World is not readily available on DVD in the states, although (if I remember correctly) it is quite available in Region 2 format for fans overseas.

Chester :newyear:

I can only say that I've seen it on VHS. If I've seen it on TV, I don't remember. I do know I have never seen it at the theater. I need to see it again. It has been a while since I've seen it, but I do remember liking it. Not a great Duke movie, but one that was different and I liked pretty well.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote

I first watched it on Laserdisc back in the early 90s. It was released in it's proper widescreen ratio, with 6 channel stereo seperation. Like others have mentioned, the film loses a lot when you see it on VHS, because you are losing so much of the picture image. I currently own the DVD from France, which is really the only good version out there right now (the Asian ones are full screen as well). But the good news is that Disney recently purchased the rights to all the Bronston epics, and Circus World is scheduled to be released in region 1 either late this year or early next year.

falc04 wrote:

I first watched it on Laserdisc back in the early 90s. It was released in it's proper widescreen ratio, with 6 channel stereo separation. Like others have mentioned, the film loses a lot when you see it on VHS, because you are losing so much of the picture image. I currently own the DVD from France, which is really the only good version out there right now (the Asian ones are full screen as well). But the good news is that Disney recently purchased the rights to all the Bronston epics, and Circus World is scheduled to be released in region 1 either late this year or early next year.

Are they releasing all the Bronston epics? Did they specifically say Circus World? Where did you hear this? And when did this come out? This is good news. I'd like to complete my 60s and 70's John Wayne movie collection.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote

This was originally posted back in December 2006 on the HTF.

According to a post on DVD Times Forum, Movies Unlimited say that Weinstein have acquired the rights to the Samuel Bronston epics Fall Of The Roman Empire, El Cid, 55 Days At Peking and Circus World and plan a mid-2007 DVD release.

So far, Fall of the Roman Empire and El Cid have gotten the deluxe treatment. 55 Days and Circus World should be completed by the end of this year, or early next.

falc04 wrote:

This was originally posted back in December 2006 on the HTF.

According to a post on DVD Times Forum, Movies Unlimited say that Weinstein have acquired the rights to the Samuel Bronston epics Fall Of The Roman Empire, El Cid, 55 Days At Peking and Circus World and plan a mid-2007 DVD release.

So far, Fall of the Roman Empire and El Cid have gotten the deluxe treatment. 55 Days and Circus World should be completed by the end of this year, or early next.

Thanks for the information. Have you seen Fall of the Roman Empire or El Cid? I heard that they were good movies. Exciting about Circus World. Can't wait.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

- John Wayne quote