Circus World (1964)

There are 197 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 190,803 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This is quite a hard one to track down in the UK on DVD. Watched it for the first time in eons and actually really enjoyed it: Claudia Cardinale helps!

I have a specific question. Does anyone know if the set used for the circus training area, almost looks like a cave, is an old set from another film? Looks like an old Universal horror set.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Its available on DVD ( region 1 ) here in the US now. If anyone is interested. Brought back, released through Walt Disney video. I bought one, great shape! The circus scenes were great, I bought it for that. The story was kinda Blah.

• Mine is an NTSC region free edition. Bought on a certain auction website. It was new and sealed, quality was really good considering.

• Agreed, it is not an official release but the quality is on par with some of the official John Wayne films from the same era I have. There are a couple of official region 2 (European) releases I am aware of from Holland so if you have a multi region player you could try those. In fact I've ordered one of the dutch releases so I'll post a comparison of the official and unofficial releases when it comes through.

Peter

• Just remembered there's also an official version in the UK as part of the 'Wayne in Action' Boxset: The Magnificent Showman as it was released here. Annoyingly the big 34 film 'John Wayne Collection' DVD boxset omitted 2 films from the smaller boxsets: The Magnificent Showman in the 'Wayne in Action' and The Long Voyage Home in the 'Wayne John Ford collection'.

• I much prefer to buy genuine region one releases. No real reason other than it just being a quirk of mine.

Totally understand the quirk.
    I've been replacing many of my UK DVDs from the various studios with the USA Region 1 releases 'The John Wayne Collection' so that all the covers match with the gold band across the top!

• Watch the Full Movie, open to full screen by clicking on the YouTube logo, then the full screen link.

Circus World

[extendedmedia]

![/extendedmedia]

Hi Chester, are these really good quality and enjoyable to watch on you tube?
    I see films being posted on here all the time and feel like a chump for having bought everything on DVD and Blu ray when I could have watched them for free!
    P.S. you'll notice none of my latest posts have been about the weather!

• I kind of enjoyed it! Can''t quite throw it to the wolves like you guys have!

Sounds like I'm agreeing with you on most things at the moment!
    I really enjoyed it, it has a solid supporting cast and a few spectacular set pieces.
    I'm happy to go against the tide :wink_smile:

• Just remembered there's also an official version in the UK as part of the 'Wayne in Action' Boxset: The Magnificent Showman as it was released here. Annoyingly the big 34 film 'John Wayne Collection' DVD boxset omitted 2 films from the smaller boxsets: The Magnificent Showman in the 'Wayne in Action' and The Long Voyage Home in the 'Wayne John Ford collection'.

I don't understand what boxset you have bought since I have what seems to be the same boxset of 34 movies and both of these movies are included. If I remember correctly "The Magnificent Showman" is released in 4:3 format. I have a Scandinavian release in widescreen. I don't remember for sure if it is 2.20 : 1, but I think it probably is.

• I don't understand what boxset you have bought since I have what seems to be the same boxset of 34 movies and both of these movies are included. If I remember correctly "The Magnificent Showman" is released in 4:3 format. I have a Scandinavian release in widescreen. I don't remember for sure if it is 2.20 : 1, but I think it probably is.

Nope they're def not in my boxset! I've looked at the printed titles on the box and there's no mention of them, maybe they changed the content half way through production? I had to buy them separately.

• That's strange. Since there seems to be 34 movies in my boxset too, you must have a couple of titles in your boxset that isn't included in mine.

I'll try and get round to listing the content to see what differs.

Edited once, last by Dooley ().

• I was quite surprised that I enjoyed Circus World....thanks for posting it. I thought it was going to be pretty corny when I saw Duke in his Duke clothes come out in the big top, though. Didn't thing it would be very realistic, either.
    However, I have stayed at night to see many medium circuses broken down with the help of the elephants in just a few hours to leave for their next gig. I also used to have a friend get us into the "clown college" at Ringling Brothers winter quarters in Sarasota, FL. Things inside the big top looked real! Small circus, but good acts and the cast was great.
    If you ever have a small circus in your town, go, and stay for the break down. I swear, it is as good as the circus!

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE