Duke's Movies- Blu-Ray/DVD Releases

There are 287 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 191,653 times. The latest Post () was by Paula.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Just saw a post on Home Theater Forum that The War Wagon and Rooster Cogburn will be released on Blu-ray in Germany on May 8. Hope that means a U.S. release is on the way too.

• Don't know if this was posted already, but I was scoping out Amazon and the westerns they offer on Blu-ray and noticed that Dukes, Dark Command will be released on Blu-ray on May 28th.

• 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment has now released cover art and content information for the winners of the Home Theater Forum "Vote Your Choice" poll for films the fans want to see on Blu-ray. The two Duke titles are North to Alaska and The Undefeated. Release date is December 3.

North to Alaska (Blu-Ray) (1960)
    Starring: John Wayne, Stewart Granger, Ernie Kovacs, Fabian, Capucine, Mickey Shaughnessy, Karl Swenson, Joe Sawyer, Kathleen Freeman, John Qualen, Stanley Adams, Richard Deacon, Frank Faylen

Director:Henry Hathaway
    Genre:
    Blu-Ray, Westerns
    Year:
    Studio:
    20th Century Fox
    Length: 117 minutes
    Release Date:
    December 3, 2013
    Rating:
    G
    Misc:
    Color, Widescreen, NTSC
    Language: English (Original Language), French (Subtitled), Spanish (Subtitled), French (Dubbed), Spanish (Dubbed), English (Subtitled)

SYNOPSIS:
    John Wayne and Stewart Granger strike it rich in this rousing comedy-adventure set in the heyday of the Alaskan gold rush. When prospectors Sam McCord (Wayne) and George Pratt (Granger) hit the mother lode, George asks Sam to go to Seattle and fetch his sweetheart, Jennie, but she has already married someone else.

Determined to bring George a new love, Sam invites a saloon dancer (Capucine) back to Nome as Jennie's replacement.

The Undefeated (Blu-Ray) (1969)
    Starring: John Wayne, Rock Hudson, Antonio Aguilar, Roman Gabriel, Marian McCargo, Lee Meriwether, Merlin Olsen, Bruce Cabot, Melissa Newman, Harry Carey Jr., Ben Johnson, Jan-Michael Vincent, Edward Faulkner, Paul Fix, Royal Dano

Director:Andrew V. McLaglen
    Genre:Westerns, Blu-Ray
    Year:
    Studio:
    20th Century Fox
    Length:
    119 minutes
    Release Date: December 3, 2013
    Rating:
    G
    Misc:
    Color, Widescreen, NTSC
    Language:
    English (Original Language), French (Subtitled), Spanish (Subtitled), French (Dubbed), Spanish (Dubbed), English (Subtitled)

SYNOPSIS:
    John Wayne and Rock Hudson co-star in this rollicking classic set in Mexico during the tumultuous post-Civil War days. As Union Cavalry officer John Henry Thomas (John Wayne) and former Confederate Colonel James Langdon (Rock Hudson) lead their men into new territories to begin a new life, their paths cross.

Now, caught between Mexican rebels and the Emperor's forces, they find themselves fighting side by side and must forge an uneasy friendship in order to survive. Based on a story by Stanley L. Hough, this entertaining film about unlikely alliances is Western action at its best.

• Please can anyone help? Does anyone know if "The Undefeated" and "North To Alaska" are region free or region locked. Hoping to get them for someones christmas, and would think that they won't be released in the UK, anytime soon. Thank you.

• Thank you Paula you have made someone very happy, namely me because it is a christmas present for myself! Why not, eh! Seriously though, Thank you.

• More John Wayne forthcoming on Blu-ray (plus a little Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster)... :)

Even though they're not John Wayne movies, also being released on Blu-ray on March 11th will be, Rebel Without A Cause, Giant, and East Of Eden, all James Dean movies. Also Samson & Delilah, which should look pretty spectacular on the Blu-ray format.

• The three James Dean movies are already available in a Blu-ray box set (James Dean Ultimate Collector's Edition) and as individual Blu-rays. Not sure what March 11 is all about.

• The three James Dean movies are already available in a Blu-ray box set (James Dean Ultimate Collector's Edition) and as individual Blu-rays. Not sure what March 11 is all about.

I don't know, Paula. I thought I remember seeing on comingsoon.net that they were coming out around this time. Now that same site says March 11th.

• I went to comingsoon.net and after some searching saw the James Dean titles under March 11, 2014. I have no idea why they're listed for March 11 as they are already all released. Must be some kind of glitch.

• Universal has announced the Region 1 (North America) Blu-ray releases of The War Wagon and Rooster Cogburn for April 1. No other info (artwork, extras) yet. (Both titles have already been released on Blu-ray in Europe.)

• The Criterion Collection will release Red River on Blu-ray/DVD on May 27. Here is the link to Criterion's page about Red River: http://www.criterion.com/films/28046-red-river

No matter what genre he worked in, Howard Hawks played by his own rules, and never was this more evident than in his first western, the rowdy and whip-smart Red River. In it, John Wayne found one of his greatest roles as an embittered, tyrannical Texas rancher whose tensions with his independent-minded adopted son, played by Montgomery Clift in a breakout performance, reach epic proportions during a cattle drive to Missouri, which is based on a real-life late nineteenth-century expedition. Yet Hawks is less interested in historical accuracy than in tweaking the codes of masculinity that propel the myths of the American West. The unerringly macho Wayne and the neurotic, boyish Clift make for an improbably perfect pair, held aloft by a quick-witted, multilayered screenplay and Hawks’s formidable direction.

Disc Features

• New 4K digital restoration of the rarely presented original theatrical release version, the preferred cut of director Howard Hawks, with monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    • 2K restoration of the longer version of Red River
    • New interview with filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich about Red River and the two versions
    • New interview with critic Molly Haskell about Hawks and Red River
    • New interview with western scholar Lee Clark Mitchell about western genre literature
    • Audio excerpts of a 1972 conversation between Hawks and Bogdanovich
    • Excerpts from a 1970 audio interview with novelist and screenwriter Borden Chase
    • More!
    • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien and a 1991 interview with Hawks’s longtime editor Christian Nyby; a new paperback edition of Chase’s original novel, previously out of print
  • That's great news. Thanks for posting Paula.

Have been waiting for the US release of Red River for some time.

I am glad I have held off buying the UK recent BD release. Roll on May.

• I just got back from the Turner Classic Movies Film Festival in Hollywood, where I saw Warner Bros.' new restoration of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. It was a brand new digital projection and it looks GORGEOUS. The Warner Archive Collection will be releasing SWAYR on Blu-ray soon but they haven't actually made the official announcement yet we don't know the exact release date. The announcement will be made soon.

• A print-on-demand Blu-ray? Man, that sucks. Duke deserves so much more.

Er, I see you are not familiar with the Warner Archive Collection's Blu-rays. They are regular Blu-rays, manufactured like any other Blu-ray, and WAC restores every film and creates a new state of the art master before putting it onto Blu-ray. WAC's Blu-rays have received consistently rave reviews and they maintain the highest standards. George Feltenstein, a revered figure in the restoration and home video field, oversees all WAC Blu-rays.

As stated above, I have seen this new restoration of SWAYR at the Turner Classic Movies festival, it looks beautiful, and that is what you will get with the Blu-ray. John Wayne fans have every reason to be excited about this upcoming (though not yet officially announced) release.

• WAC has announced the Blu-ray of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. No release date but it shouldn't be too far off.

SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON (1949)
    WARNER BROS.’ NEW 2016 MASTER - DIRECT FROM ITS WORLD PREMIERE AT THE TCM FILM FESTIVAL
    103:00
    DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
    ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.37:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
    COLOR
    BD 50
    Special Features: John Ford Home Movies and Theatrical trailer (1080p)
    A masterpiece of mood and heroics, this second film in director John Ford's renowned cavalry trilogy (Fort Apache and Rio Grande are the others) features one of John Wayne's most moving performances, as a cavalry officer in his final week of service on the frontier. Under makeup aging him some 20 years, he inhabits the role of a wily veteran who knows the sting of war and vows to make his last mission one of peace. The ritual of outpost life, the sweep of battle, the advance of the patrol beneath ominous skies: She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, an Academy Award winner for its color cinematography, paints a memorable portrait of the honor, duty and courage in the finest tradition of the cavalry.

• Chisum and McQ recently came out on Blu-ray and look good, especially Chisum, which was scanned from an interpositive at 2K, with extensive color-correction to bring the film as close as possible to its original appearance. Here are two Chisum screencaps.

]

The Blu-ray of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon is really gorgeous! I knew it would be because the new restoration I saw at the TCM festival in April was splendid. All the movie buffs I know are thrilled with this Blu-ray. Here are some screencaps from the SWAYR Blu-ray.