There is 1 reply in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,155 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• LANA TURNER

Information From IMDb

Date of Birth
    8 February 1921, Wallace, Idaho, USA

Date of Death
    29 June 1995, Century City, California, USA (throat cancer)

Birth Name
    Julia Jean Mildred Frances Turner

Nickname
    Sweater Girl
    Judy

Height
    5' 3" (1.60 m)

Spouse
    Ronald Pellar (9 May 1969 - 26 January 1972) (divorced)
    Robert P. Eaton (22 June 1965 - 1 April 1969) (divorced)
    Frederick May (27 November 1960 - 15 October 1962) (divorced)
    Lex Barker (8 September 1953 - 22 July 1957) (divorced)
    Henry J. Topping, Jr. (26 April 1948 - 12 December 1952) (divorced)
    Stephen Crane (14 March 1943 - 21 August 1944) (divorced) 1 child
    Stephen Crane (17 July 1942 - 4 February 1943) (annulled)
    Artie Shaw (13 February 1940 - 12 September 1940) (divorced)

Mini Biography
    Lana Turner had an acting ability that belied the "Sweater Girl" image MGM thrust upon her, and even many of her directors admitted that they knew she was capable of greatness (check out The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)). Unfortunately, her private life - seven marriages, affairs almost too numerous to mention, a long bout with alcoholism and the famous incident where her gangster lover, Johnny Stompanato, was killed by her daughter, Cheryl Crane - came to overshadow her professional accomplishments.
    IMDb Mini Biography By: Ray Hamel

Mini Biography-2
    Lana Turner was born Julia Jean Mildred Francis Turner in Wallace, Idaho. There is some discrepancy as to whether her birth date is February 8, 1920 or 1921. Lana herself said in her autobiography that she was one year younger (1921) than the records showed, but then this was a time where women, especially actresses, tended to "fib" a bit about their age. Most sources agree that 1920 is the correct year of birth. In 1929 her father was murdered and it was shortly thereafter her mother moved her and the family to California where jobs were "plentiful". Once she matured into a beautiful young woman, she went after something that would last forever: stardom. She wasn't found at a drug store counter, like some would have you believe, but that legend persists. She pounded the pavement as other would-be actors and actresses have done, are doing and will continue to do in search of movie roles. In 1937 Lana entered the movie world, at 17, with small parts in They Won't Forget (1937), The Great Garrick (1937) and A Star Is Born (1937). These films didn't bring her a lot of notoriety, but it was a start. In 1938 she had another small part in Love Finds Andy Hardy (1938) starring Mickey Rooney. It was this film that made young men's hearts all over America flutter at the sight of this alluring and provocative young woman--known as the "Sweater Girl"--and one look at that film could make you understand why: she was one of the most spectacularly beautiful newcomers to grace the screen in years. By the 1940s Lana was firmly entrenched in the film business. She had good roles in such films as Johnny Eager (1941), Somewhere I'll Find You (1942) and Week-End at the Waldorf (1945). If her career was progressing smoothly, however, her private life was turning into a train wreck, keeping her in the news in a way no one would have wanted. Without a doubt her private life was a threat to her public career. She was married eight times, twice to Stephen Crane. She also married Ronald Dante, Robert Eaton, Fred May, Lex Barker, Henry Topping and bandleader Artie Shaw. She also battled alcoholism. In yet another scandal, her daughter by Crane, Cheryl Crane, fatally stabbed Lana's boyfriend, gangster Johnny Stompanato, in 1958. It was a case that would have rivaled the O.J. Simpson murder case. Cheryl was acquitted of the murder charge, with the jury finding that she had been protecting her mother from Stompanato, who was savagely beating her, and ruled it justifiable homicide. These and other incidents interfered with Lana's career, but she persevered. The release of Imitation of Life (1959), a remake of a 1934 film (Imitation of Life (1934)), was Lana's comeback vehicle. Her performance as Lora Meredith was flawless as an actress struggling to make it in show business with a young daughter, her housekeeper and the housekeeper's rebellious daughter. The film was a box-office success and proved beyond a doubt that Lana had not lost her edge. By the 1960s, however, fewer roles were coming her way with the rise of new and younger stars. She still managed to turn in memorable performances in such films as Portrait in Black (1960) and Bachelor in Paradise (1961). By the next decade the roles were coming in at a trickle. Her last appearance in a big-screen production was in Witches' Brew (1980). Her final film work came in the acclaimed TV series "Falcon Crest" (1981) in which she played Jacqueline Perrault from 1982-1983. After all those years as a sex symbol, nothing had changed--Lana was still as beautiful as ever. She died June 25, 1995, in Culver City, California, after a long bout with cancer. She was 75 years old.
    IMDb Mini Biography By: Denny Jackson

Trivia
    Born at 12:30pm-PST

According to the book "Golden Girls of MGM" by Jane Ellen Wayne, she lost her eyebrows due to the glue used to attach false ones to give her an Asian look.

In her autobiography, she stated that her true birthdate is February 8, 1921. She stated that "I am one year younger than the records show."

Fainted during her 1953 wedding to Lex Barker.

One daughter: Cheryl Crane (fathered by Steve Crane).

Billy Wilkerson of The Hollywood Reporter found her sipping a Coke in a drugstore and was so taken by her he blurted out that standard Hollywood line, "How'd you like to be in pictures?". Her first role, sure enough, had her in a tight skirt and even tighter sweater sitting at a drugstore counter.

She was set to appear in Anatomy of a Murder (1959) with James Stewart until she objected to the off-the-rack wardrobe that director Otto Preminger had selected for her. Lee Remick took over the role.

Her daughter, Cheryl Crane, wrote a book about her life with her mother, her mother's 7 husbands and numerous boyfriends and living in Hollywood. It was entitled "Detour: A Hollywood Story" and was published in 1988 (ISBN:o-380-70580-X)

Measurements: 34C-25-34 ("The Sweater Girl" -1940), 35 1/2C-24 1/2-36 (from "Movieland Pin-Ups"- 1954), 34C-26-38 (from her autobiography), (Source: Celebrity Sleuth magazine).

Once when she was being interviewed by Hedda Hopper, Lex Barker, Lana's future husband, was in the same room. There was a large vase of flowers blocking her view of Lex, so Lana got up, walked across the room and removed them, remarking, "He's brand new and I want to look at him!"

Her auburn hair was bleached for Idiot's Delight (1939). She was withdrawn from the film, but the fact that she had become a blonde not only changed her screen image but gave her such an outgoing, swinging personality that Hollywood called her the Nightclub Queen.

She was called the Sweater Girl. Interestingly, Lana, translated into Spanish means "wool."

In the movie Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941) with Spencer Tracy and Ingrid Bergman she was originally supposed to play the part of Ivy, the tart, and Bergman was supposed to play the innocent girl engaged to Tracy but Bergman wanted Turner's part and so the roles were switched.

Once she was forced to evacuate her apartment building when a fire broke out. Having only minutes to collect what she needed, Lana grabbed her lipstick, her eyebrow pencil and her hairdryer.

She was a true American hybrid, with a mixture of Scottish, Irish, Dutch and English ancestry.

Is one of the many movie stars mentioned in Madonna's song "Vogue"

Is portrayed by Brenda Bakke in L.A. Confidential (1997)

Once said that her turn as Cora Smith in The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) was "the role I liked best".

In Italy, almost all of her films were dubbed by either Lidia Simoneschi or Rosetta Calavetta. She was occasionally dubbed by Dhia Cristiani.

"The Private Diary of My Life With Lana", a memoir, written by one of her closest friends, Eric Root, was published one year after her death. Root, a long time friend and hairdresser of Turner's, has a large collection of jewelry that belonged to Miss Turner. He still owns the beauty salon in Beverly Hills where Turner and many other iconic stars were clients.

Campaigned for Franklin Delano Roosevelt in the 1944 presidential election.

Was replaced by Margaret Leighton in the role of Caddy Compson in The Sound and the Fury (1959).

Featured in "Femme Noir: Bad Girls of Film" by Karen Burroughs Hannsberry (McFarland, 1998).

Was considered for the role of Maggie Pollitt in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958), which was eventually given to Elizabeth Taylor.

Sister-in-law of Daniel Topping during her marriage to his brother, Henry Topping.

She was never married for more than five years. Her longest marriage was to Henry Topping at 4 Years 7 Months 14 Days. Her shortest marriage was her first marriage to Stephen Crane, which was annulled, at 6 Months 18 Days (38 days later, she married him again). She was married to Artie Shaw for 6 Months 27 Days.

Although diagnosed with throat cancer in 1992, Turner continued to smoke until almost the very end of her life.

Was offered the role of Mrs. Cabot on the series Hotel, but made so many demands that she dropped and replaced by Anne Baxter.

According to Richard Burton's biography "And God Created Burton" Turner had an affair with the actor when they were filming The Rains of Ranchipur (1955) together.

Personal Quotes
    A successful man is one who makes more money than a wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

I find men terribly exciting, and any girl who says she doesn't is an anemic old maid, a streetwalker, or a saint.

[on Hollywood] It was all beauty and it was all talent, and if you had it they protected you.

I planned on having one husband and seven children, but it turned out the other way around.

Humor has been the balm of my life, but it's been reserved for those close to me, not part of the public Lana.

I've always loved a challenge.

Trash is something you get rid of - or disease. I'm not something you get rid of.

I liked the boys and the boys liked me.

The thing about happiness is that it doesn't help you to grow; only unhappiness does that. So I'm grateful that my bed of roses was made up equally of blossoms and thorns. I've had a privileged, creative, exciting life, and I think that the parts that were less joyous were preparing me, testing me, strengthening me.

The truth is, sex doesn't mean that much to me now. It never did, really. It was romance I wanted, kisses and candlelight, that sort of thing. I never did dig sex very much.

Salary
    Imitation of Life (1959) 50% of the film's profits
    The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) $4,000 a week

Filmography
    Actor
    1991 Thwarted...Margo Lane
    1985 The Love Boat (TV series)
    – Call Me Grandma/A Gentleman of Discretion/The Perfect Divorce/Letting Go: Part 1 (1985) … Elizabeth Raley
    – Call Me Grandma/A Gentleman of Discretion/The Perfect Divorce/Letting Go: Part 2 (1985) … Elizabeth Raley
    1982-1983 Falcon Crest (TV series)
    – Climax (1983) … Jacqueline Perrault
    – Pas De Deux (1983) … Jacqueline Perrault
    – ...Divided We Fall (1982) … Jacqueline Perrault
    – United We Stand... (1982) … Jacqueline Perrault
    – Home Away from Home (1982) … Jacqueline Perrault
    In all 6 episodes »
    1980 Witches' Brew...Vivian Cross
    1976 Bittersweet Love...Claire
    1975 Persecution...Carrie Masters
    1971 The Last of the Powerseekers (TV movie)...Tracy Carlyle Hastings
    1969-1970 The Survivors (TV series)
    – Chapter Fifteen (1970) … Tracy Carlyle Hastings
    – Chapter Fourteen (1970) … Tracy Carlyle Hastings
    – Chapter Thirteen (1969) … Tracy Carlyle Hastings
    – Chapter Twelve (1969) … Tracy Carlyle Hastings
    – Chapter Eleven (1969) … Tracy Carlyle Hastings
    In all 15 episodes »
    1969 The Big Cube...Adriana Roman
    1966 Madame X...Holly Parker
    1965/I Love Has Many Faces...Kit Jordan
    1962 Who's Got the Action?...Melanie Flood
    1961 Bachelor in Paradise...Rosemary Howard
    1961 By Love Possessed...Marjorie Penrose
    1960 Portrait in Black...Sheila Cabot
    1959 Imitation of Life...Lora Meredith
    1958 Another Time, Another Place...Sara Scott
    1958 The Lady Takes a Flyer...Maggie Colby
    1957 Peyton Place...Constance MacKenzie
    1956 Diane...Diane de Poitiers - Countess de Breze
    1955 The Rains of Ranchipur...Lady Edwina Esketh
    1955 The Sea Chase...Elsa Keller
    1955 The Prodigal...Samarra
    1954 Betrayed...Carla Van Oven
    1954 Flame and the Flesh...Madeline
    1953 Latin Lovers...Nora Taylor
    1952 The Bad and the Beautiful...Georgia Lorrison
    1952 The Merry Widow...Crystal Radek
    1951 You Belong to My Heart...Fredda Barlo
    1950 A Life of Her Own...Lily Brannel James
    1948 The Three Musketeers...Lady de Winter
    1948 Homecoming...Lt. Jane 'Snapshot' McCall
    1947 Cass Timberlane...Virginia 'Jinny' Marshland
    1947 Green Dolphin Street...Marianne Patourel
    1946 The Postman Always Rings Twice...Cora Smith
    1945 Week-End at the Waldorf...Bunny Smith
    1945 Keep Your Powder Dry...Valerie 'Val' Parks
    1944 Marriage Is a Private Affair...Theo Scofield West
    1943 Du Barry Was a Lady...Lana Turner - Guest Star (uncredited)
    1943 Slightly Dangerous...Peggy Evans aka Carol Burden
    1942 Somewhere I'll Find You...Paula Lane
    1941 Johnny Eager...Lisbeth 'Liz' Bard
    1941 Honky Tonk...Elizabeth Cotton
    1941 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde...Beatrix Emery
    1941 Ziegfeld Girl...Sheila Regan
    1940 We Who Are Young...Marjorie 'Margy' White Brooks
    1940 Choose Your Partner...Patricia 'Pat' Mahoney
    1939 Every Other Inch a Lady...Patty Marlow
    1939 These Glamour Girls...Jane Thomas
    1939 Calling Dr. Kildare...Rosalie Lewett
    1938 Dramatic School...Mado
    1938 Rich Man, Poor Girl...Helen Thayer
    1938 Four's a Crowd...Passerby (uncredited)
    1938 The Chaser...Miss Rutherford (scenes deleted)
    1938 Love Finds Andy Hardy...Cynthia Potter
    1938 The Adventures of Marco Polo...Nazama's Maid
    1937 The Great Garrick...Mlle. Auber
    1937 Topper...Nightclub Patron (uncredited)
    1937 They Won't Forget...Mary Clay

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Lana Turner was prolific, probably not in her movies,
    but the fact that she was married 7 times,
    and had a private life that overshadowed her career.
    She was nominated for an Academy award for Peyton Place.

She was in 1 movie with Duke,

The Sea Chase 1955 ...Elsa Keller

The production in Hawaii, was troubled from the start.
    Lana detested director John Farrow,
    even on the first night accusing him of trying to seduce her.

She developed an antagonistic attitude
    toward the male dominated cast, many of whom were Duke's pals.

Pilar Wayne remarked:-

Some of her hostility spilled over onto Duke.
    and he reacted to her coldness, with a deep freeze of his own.

Making love to Turner on the set proved a challenge
    since she complained if Duke touched her face or her hair,
    fearing he would ruin her make-up or hair-do

Pliar said:-

She was overly concerned about her looks...
    and that destroyed the rapport that everyone expected.

She was a deeply troubled woman, with many demons,
    so much so she drank herself to oblivion every night,
    turning up late next morning unable to remember her lines.
    This did not help her relationship with the director.

Duke intervened, telling her:-

You have not been behaving like a professional....
    buit if it was up to me, I would not want to give you another chance

This resulted in zero chemistry on the screen,
    but not eneough to deter Lana and her husband,
    being at the marriage of Duke to Pilar on the
    island of Kona, in November 1954

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().