New Westerns

There are 68 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 49,244 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Be warned that I have read the book that this western will be based on and it's about Doc's life as a boy and young man. The Earps are in it but we don't go near Tombstone and the OK Corral.
    It was a decent enough read and all Doc's lines were written as if Val Kilmer was speaking them and if this is a mini series they may even go farther than the novel.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Be warned that I have read the book that this western will be based on and it's about Doc's life as a boy and young man. The Earps are in it but we don't go near Tombstone and the OK Corral.
    It was a decent enough read and all Doc's lines were written as if Val Kilmer was speaking them and if this is a mini series they may even go farther than the novel.

We deal in lead, friend.

Thanks for the info.
    I suppose, the redeeming fact is, that I considered
    Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc, as far the best.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I have watched a couple of episodes of "Hell on Wheels" (I DVR it and watch at a later time) and find it intriguing. Good to see the western is coming back!

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Anything that promotes the western genre has to be good news,
    well, as long as it doesn't involve Martians becoming Native Americans,
    and the horses turning into Transformers!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Jay is right (as usually) about "Hell on Wheels". I thought some of the minor characters were a bit creaky at first but the plot is advancing nicely and I look forward to each episode.

We deal in lead, friend.

• A&E’s ‘Longmire’: The Humble Cowboy At TCA

At a late Friday afternoon panel session promoting A&E’s forthcoming summertime western saga Longmire, the question was asked as to whether the success of FX’s Justified perhaps smoothed the path wheels for Longmire to see the light of primetime. Exec producer John Covony answered succinctly: “The short answer is no.” Why not? “Well, in Hollywood, some ideas are gestating as others are coming to life.” He added that while he’s happy that Justified “helped to make people think about westerns,” he made the point that Justified star Timothy Olyphant and Longmire lead Robert Taylor were quite different in both style and substantive approach to their roles. Exec producer Greer Shephard went further, suggesting that Olyphant’s character “is a man tortured and driven by demons” while Taylor’s is defined by “love and loyalty.” She also doesn’t believe that Justified is even a true western, she thinks it’s more of “a Southern Gothic show. But Longmire— “The integrity and moral steadfastness of Walt Longmire are tentpoles of the classic American cowboy.”

That may well be true. But this is also true: Taylor, who portrays Longmire, isn’t even American but Aussie. Someone wondered why it seems that more and more Australian actors are snatching the all-American alpha male roles away from U.S. performers. Shephard explained: “To be honest, a trait that was very, very hard to find” in the casting process “was humility. And there are a lot of metrosexuals as well” among American actors who auditioned. Where have you gone, Clint Eastwood and Harrison Ford?

http://www.deadline.com/2012/0…loyalty-for-longmire-tca/

• Just when I had given up hope, there is a light on the horizon. I hope they do the western justice though, and offer up some revisionist nonsense. I have seen the first episode of Hell on Wheels, and thought it pretty good. However, as I do not have cable, satellite, or even an antenna, I have to wait for them to come out on DVD or on Netflix.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Just when I had given up hope, there is a light on the horizon. I hope they do the western justice though, and offer up some revisionist nonsense. I have seen the first episode of Hell on Wheels, and thought it pretty good. However, as I do not have cable, satellite, or even an antenna, I have to wait for them to come out on DVD or on Netflix.

It's not on Hulu yet, Bob, but that would be a place to check after a while. We watch quite a few fairly current TV shows there. Some require Hulu Plus, which is similar in price to Netflix ($7.99/month).

Like you, we don't have cable, satellite or an antenna, and without those, our TV only "shows" DVDs or Netflix through our son's Playstation. Hulu's through the computer.

• Like you, we don't have cable, satellite or an antenna, and without those, our TV only "shows" DVDs or Netflix through our son's Playstation. Hulu's through the computer.

Nice to learn that people other than myself are not TV fanatics. I do have an outside antenna but other than a local weather channel, never watch anything on the three networks. IMO, 99.9% of todays TV programs are garbage, about like the same percentage of modern movies.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• It's not on Hulu yet, Bob, but that would be a place to check after a while. We watch quite a few fairly current TV shows there. Some require Hulu Plus, which is similar in price to Netflix ($7.99/month).

Like you, we don't have cable, satellite or an antenna, and without those, our TV only "shows" DVDs or Netflix through our son's Playstation. Hulu's through the computer.

Like you, I don't watch TV as I dint have cable either adn im not going to spend the money to get it unless THEY let me pick the channels I want? and "WE" know that aint going to happen >:-((

The last time I watched more than about 10 minutes worth of TV besides when at my Sis and Bro-in-Laws house for Christmas-was on July 23rd. The rest of the time its been from the internet or mainly on my "DvD" """Theater""" ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• HATFIELDS AND MCCOYS Premieres Memorial Day at 9/8c on the History channel

This isn't technically a Western but it's close. It's got good people in it.

History Channel has tapped a pair of grizzled veteran character actors for its upcoming mini-series "The Hatfields and McCoys."

"Platoon" star Tom Berenger and "Deadwood" villain Powers Boothe will join the project as members of the Hatfield clan.

In addition, Oscar-nominee Mare Winningham ("Georgia") will play the McCoy family matriarch, the network announced.

Stars Bill Paxton and Kevin Costner were previously announced.

Set in the 19th Century, the mini-series focuses on the famous land feud that erupted between two families living along the border of Kentucky and West Virginia.

The film will reunite Costner with Kevin Reynolds, who directed the star in the hit "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" and the notorious bomb "Waterworld."

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/colu…atfields-and-mccoys-30576