New Westerns

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 68 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Kevin.

• Re: New Westerns

The Magnificent Seven Dwarfs is one of the best laughs ive had in ages, I think it's telling that given Dukes been dead 40 years now they've only properly remade one of his movies, with the remake culture now in hollywood I think they would have made far more but they realise that the Duke is the Duke and he's much too individual too recycle the way they seem too with everything else.

Hondo Duke Lane wrote:

The problem with your choices some are really too old. Selleck is in his mid 60's, Willis is almost 60, Downy is in his 40's. The rest might work out. I like these men, but just too old to make this movie work.

Maybe we should just get the cast for The Expendables and get them for this movie. We'd get Willis in the deal. Just think about the age. Let's not do this movie.

Didn't they try to do another movie or TV show on this?

Cheers :cool: Hondo

Watched Selleck as Jesse Stone from the Parker "Paradise, Mass" novels last weekend. The only character of the seven that he could pull off now is maybe Harry Luck. If someone wanted to try to remake the 7, and I don't think anyone ever should, they are 15 years too late. Cruise might have played Chico against Willis as Chris and Selleck as Vin in 1995, but now I can't imagine Cruise as Chris or Vin or Chico, and you know he wouldn't accept one of the other four. Overall a bad idea that will produce a bad movie.

Looking forward to seeing this in the $5 bin at Walmart.
    • Originally Posted by May2, "History’s ‘Hatfields & McCoys’ Sets Cable Ratings Record With 13.9 Million Viewers

History entered the original scripted arena in a big way last night. The premiere of the cable network’s mini-series Hatfields & McCoys drew a staggering 13.9 million total viewers, 4.8 million adults 18-48 and 5.8 million adults 25-54 from 9-11 PM to become the the No.1 non-sports telecast in ad supported cable television history. The combined viewership for Part 1′s two airings was 17 million.

“With all the success we have had at History, we felt strongly for some time that we should own historical drama, and in true History fashion, we have done it, with – pardon the pun – guns ablazin!,” said History’s president and general manger Nancy Dubuc. Hatfields & McCoys, a three-part, six-hour miniseries starring Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton, tells the true American story of a legendary family feud – one that spanned decades and nearly launched a war between Kentucky and West Virginia.

Parts two and three premiere tonight and tomorrow night. The mini is produced by Thinkfactory Media, with Leslie Greif executive producing, and Kevin Costner, Darrell Fetty and Herb Nanas producing. Sony TV us distributing."

deadline.com/2012/05/hist...llion-viewers/

Sounds like we might have to subscribe to cable. Hope it has a long life.

Chester :newyear:

The post was edited 2 times, last by chester7777 ().

The Irish Duke wrote:

The Magnificent Seven Dwarfs is one of the best laughs ive had in ages, I think it's telling that given Dukes been dead 40 years now they've only properly remade one of his movies, with the remake culture now in hollywood I think they would have made far more but they realise that the Duke is the Duke and he's much too individual too recycle the way they seem too with everything else.[/QUOTE

Found this in a response to an article about the possibility of a ne MAG 7 movie.
      Max Rockatansky Junior writes:
      on May 22nd, 2012 at 10:25:50 PM
      My secret wish has been fulfilled.

Tom Cruise will get the Yul Brynner role, shave his head, get cancer, become all anorexic and palid and then die.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BatjacAuburn ().

Hi

I think that is a bit extreme. I'm afraid I can't understand the logic of hoping an actor will die because he is not liked, an off button or an avoidance of a film at the cinema is just as good and far less painful.

Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

History’s ‘Hatfields & McCoys’ Breaks More Cable Records

Night 3 of History’s Hatfields & McCoys topped Night 1 and Night 2 with 14.3 million total viewers, 6.3 million adults 25-54 and 5.1 million adults 18-49 to become the new most-watched entertainment telecast of all time on ad-supported cable and the No. 1 entertainment telecast on ad-supported cable among 25-54 in 14 years.

The mini’s three parts rank as the top three entertainment telecasts of all time in ad-supported cable history among total viewers. Overall, for the three nights on May 28-30, Hatfields & McCoys averaged 13.8 total viewers, 6 million adults 25-54 and 4.9 million adults 18-49. The 4.9 million ddult 18-49 average makes it the highest-rated miniseries or movie on cable since 1998.

deadline.com/2012/05/historys-…reaks-more-cable-records/

Watched all six hours of it and was pretty impressed. It wasn't Lonesome Dove but it was an interesting six hours with great photography and a good cast. I've always liked Costner.

I was surprised when I went to the link in May2's post and saw responses by people who had never heard of the feud before the miniseries.??????

Will The Success Of ‘Hatfields & McCoys’ Spur A Wave Of Western-Themed Series?

Just two weeks ago, TV networks’ infatuation with period Westerns seemed to have waned. Of the slew of such projects put in development by the broadcast networks last season, only one, NBC’s The Frontier, had been picked up to pilot, and it didn’t make the cut to series. At the same time, TNT passed on its own period Western pilot, Tin Star.

Two weeks later, History’s Hatfields & McCoys burst into the scene, drawing huge crowds. Yes, its viewership skewed older, which is understandable given the historic subject matter, but there were plenty of 18-49-year-olds among the 13-14 million who tuned in for each episode to get the broadcast networks’ attention. And the timing is perfect as pitch season is just around the corner.

NBC may be the first to jump in with the Kerry Ehrin Western originally developed this past season. The network has been the most aggressive among the broadcast networks in the arena, ordering period Western drama pilots for two consecutive years: The Crossing in 2011 and The Frontier this year. The network developed a total of three Western scripts and its executives were happy with all of them, eventually narrowing the field to The Frontier and the Kerry Ehrin project and ultimately going with The Frontier.

I hear NBC is now revisiting the Kerry Ehrin drama, produced by Universal TV and Sean Hayes and Todd Milliner’s Hazy Mills. Coincidentally, the project’s producers and NBC brass met on Tuesday morning, when the big ratings for the first night of Hatfields & McCoys came out. Set in the 1880s, the Kerry Ehrin project centers on Jacob Morris, a young, eccentric East Coast doctor of mental disorders who moves to a primitive Western town at the foot of the Colorado Rockies.

I hear NBC executives are open to ordering the script to pilot if a name actor and/or director are attached. Other high-profile Westerns that were developed at the broadcast networks last season included The Rifleman reboot at CBS with Laeta Kalogridis, Chris Columbus and Carol Mendelsohn; a Wyatt Earp Western at Fox penned by John Hlavin; and Ron Moore’s Hangtown, set in the early 1900s, and David Zabel’s Gunslinger, both at ABC.

With TV business being notoriously reactive, look for some of those to be revisited too and new Western concepts to start coming fast and furious once the floodgates at the broadcast networks open.

The only true Western series on the air right now is AMC’s Hell On Wheels on Sunday. CBS has period drama Vegas coming out in the fall but despite its protagonist, played by Dennis Quaid, being a cowboy-type sheriff, the drama deals with the mob’s 1960s takeover of Las Vegas. Ditto for FX’s Justified, despite the lead’s penchant for wearing cowboy hats.

Another highly-rated Western miniseries, AMC’s Broken Trail, didn’t have a major impact on series development. But the success of Hatfields & McCoys comes as the Western genre has already built a strong momentum, making a new period Western series order within the next year a strong possibility.

deadline.com/2012/06/will-the-…hemed-series/#more-280527

Gorch wrote:

I regret I wasn't clearer, Batjac. My intent was to underscore that someone was unfamiliar with the Hatfield and McCoy feud. Of course, I'm old enough to have met the original participants.
      Thanks for the chance to clear that up.

We deal in lead, friend.

Surely not:omg:

I agree that it seems impossible that an adult American hasn't heard of the H&M feud. I have heard of it all my life.