Photo Restoration question (looking for help)

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,089 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• A friend of mine is scanning photos that she received from her grandpa and one of them is an old B&W that was rolled up, it looks like it is from around 1910 or so. The photo is fragile and torn already, so unrolling it as is, is not an option. I did some looking around on Google and it seems like soaking it in water is the common answer. Have any of you done this before or have a more trusted source than Google that could verify that for me.

Thanks,

Eric

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• A friend of mine is scanning photos that she received from her grandpa and one of them is an old B&W that was rolled up, it looks like it is from around 1910 or so. The photo is fragile and torn already, so unrolling it as is, is not an option. I did some looking around on Google and it seems like soaking it in water is the common answer. Have any of you done this before or have a more trusted source than Google that could verify that for me.

Thanks,

Eric

Eric, I would not soak the photo in water. In doing so there is a very strong possibility that the photo would be ruined. If it were me, I would try and find a good photo/paper conservator. A professional. You might try contacting a museum, possibly an art museum, and see if they could recommend someone.
    Hope this helps,
    Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Like Bob says, please-no water. I used to mess a bit with photography and what little i know-is that water will ruin it especially stuff that aged. Some little tricks for clearing up water spots and such is to rub a little alcohol on it or if on a white edge-some water-thinned bleach. Other than that, i couldnt tell you what chemicals they now use.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Thank you for the suggestions, soaking it in water just didn't sound right.

Think I'll try and get in touch with someone at a museum and see what they have to say.

• My friend professional photographer, says
    NO WATER

Best to try and unroll without breaking,
    flatten it with weights and take a high quality scan as soon as possible,
    then brush out the cracks using software like Photoshop etc.
    The results can be amazingly good!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• You should probably place the photo inside a dehumidifier so that it will unroll itself. Call a local archive or museum and ask to speak to an archivist or to their photo archivist. They are trained and equipped, generally. Of call the George Eastman House Museum of International Photography in Rochester NY and ask to speak to their photo archivist. He will help you.

1910 suggests a silver gelatin or albumen print. Delicate. Water will destroy the photo. One does not sprinkle, dampen or otherwise soak historic photos, certainly not from 1910.

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

• You can also try another safe way by simply putting the folder in a plastic sleeve made of polypropylene or polyethelene-which (aka) Mylar Bags, is no acidic and will not hurt the photo in any way, shape or form, then place a few heavy books on it and let time take its course. Ive done that too.

• The kids went back to school today after their two week winter break... in a few days I'm going to call around to the San Jose and San Fransisco Museums and see if I can't get any help.

A long while back someone rolled it up an put it in a tube... from what I can see it looks like an Army photo from about WWI time... So I would guess that would set the time frame to 1914-1918 or so...

We have just left it alone now, it is torn around the center. On our attempt to unroll it, we broke a small section of one corner off...

Thank you all for your input and I'll put any updates...

• Brittle, it is best to leave it alone till you do find out. They have softening chemicals for that too-but I cant remember what they are called?