There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,239 times. The latest Post () was by BatjacAuburn.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• and

The digital realm will never do what photochemistry has done.

Never.

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

• Richard,
    One thing I've learned over the years is, Never say Never. :wink_smile:
    This is something we have been expecting for several years, and it had to come to pass, the momentum was just too great. While the two mediums are different, I suspect, not only will digital get better, it may come up with some innovations that we cannot even imagine today.

Chester :newyear:

• HD is here to stay and those cameras are in high demand. I started out developing my own film, as no doubt some of you did. I will always miss the scent of darkroom fluids and the pleasure of watching the image develop as I swished the paper in the hypo bath Still everyone everyone in their right minds must agree that Photoshop is easier, faster and more efficient when it comes to image correction and manipulation. Period.

Kodak and I and everyone else have been dragged kicking and screaming into the digital age, whether we like it or not. I have a beloved Nikonos IV which still requires film, so hopefully some company will be manufacturing it in future, otherwise I'm stuck with a $5K piece of equipment that's good for nothing else. Is Fuji still in business? (Kidding)

We're burning moonlight.

• I don't know where you live but here in Belgium when we talk about using our camera we never ever say "fototoestel" but instead we always say "kodak" and to be honest I think it will take a while before people stop using the word "Kodak". Probably a younger generation who will never have known a Kodak and we, who have know the real thing, have been gone.

• What I liked about the Kodak film was it was far better quality than Fuji film, Seattle Films Works, or the others. It was more expensive, but much better. My favorite speed was 200 speed film. It is sad isn't it? I miss that camera and the film. So sad!

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Times are changing, my good friend. It's not the CEO's fault. The film industry is all but dead. Remember the typewriter? Remember the old turntable spinning your records? It is time to say goodbye to the 35mm film. I'll miss it but it did have a great run for over a hundred and fifty years.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• An interesting tidbit, regarding the switch over to digital projection - when we were in Winterset, we had the privilege of seeing the documentary "Dreaming the Quiet Man" at the Iowa theater, the only 'movie house' in Winterset. They did use a digital projector to show that documentary, but in general are not set up there to do it on a large-scale basis, they just don't have the proper equipment, and being such a small business, may not have the financial means to make the necessary changes. Nowadays, movie theaters 'upload' the current movies to their systems for showing, if I understand it correctly.

It is sad that this little theater may go under due to the change in technology.

• I live in Rochester, NY., the home of Eastman Kodak.
    Kodak used to be the largest employer in the area. On their bonus days, appliances and cars went on sale and the economy flourished. Well, those days are over and the empty buildings and parking lots are depressing to drive past and many other local businesses had to close their doors.
    Retirees from there have seen there benefits reduced long after they retired. Insurance co-pays for them are now monstrous and if you took your bonus in the form of Kodak stock options, you now own very expensive toilet paper.
    A friend of mine retired four years ago and his benefits were so slashed he had to find another job.

We deal in lead, friend.

• An interesting tidbit, regarding the switch over to digital projection - when we were in Winterset, we had the privilege of seeing the documentary "Dreaming the Quiet Man" at the Iowa theater, the only 'movie house' in Winterset. They did use a digital projector to show that documentary, but in general are not set up there to do it on a large-scale basis, they just don't have the proper equipment, and being such a small business, may not have the financial means to make the necessary changes. Nowadays, movie theaters 'upload' the current movies to their systems for showing, if I understand it correctly.

It is sad that this little theater may go under due to the change in technology.

Jim I agree. That movie house is one of the treasures of Winterset.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• I don't know where you live but here in Belgium when we talk about using our camera we never ever say "fototoestel" but instead we always say "kodak" and to be honest I think it will take a while before people stop using the word "Kodak". Probably a younger generation who will never have known a Kodak and we, who have know the real thing, have been gone.

The death of the "Kodak Moment" is upon us apparently.