Chesty: A Tribute to a Legend (1976) (Documentary)

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 26,262 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• CHESTY: A Tribute to a Legend
    Documentary

DIRECTED BY JOHN FORD

Information From IMDb

John Ford's tribute to the United States Marine's most decorated soldier is virtually unknown.
    The production was a cheap one and the majority of the film is made up of combat footage
    from World War II and the Korean War.

Ford appears in the film interviewing General Puller, both of these old guys
    are as stiff as a couple of boards.
    Narrated by John Wayne in his cowboy costume, the whole thing seems outdated
    and a little out of it.

When this documentary/tribute was filmed, the country was in the coma of the Vietnam War.
    The general public probably wasn't in any mood for a tribute to tough marines.

Chesty: A Tribute to a Legend, is interesting for the war footage that Ford incorporated.
    The scenes of the Korean War, are more fascinating than the stuff Ford filmed for his terrible documentary This is Korea.

This film isn't particularly well made and with the exception of the marching bands
    and the usual military ritual stuff it would be impossible to tell that it was directed by Ford.

Serving in the navy during World War II had been the pivotal point in Ford's life,
    so it's not unexpected that Chesty: A Tribute to a Legend,
    is more about Ford's fascination with military life and ritual.

Edited into two different lengths, the short version
    doesn't seem much different than the long version.

27 minutes

47 minutes
    Written by Lookmeintheeye-dugan

Completed in 1970. Not released until 1976,
    three years after the death of John Ford.

Full Cast
    John Ford ... Himself
    Lewis B. Puller ... Himself
    John Wayne ... Narrator:

Writing Credits
    Jay Simms
    Produced
    James Ellsworth .... producer
    Leon Selditz .... associate producer

Filming Locations
    Arlington, Virginia, USA
    United States Military Academy, West Point, New York, USA

Watch this preferred shorter version

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 7 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• In your other reviews you often list historical innaccuracies or production issues so I thought I'd give you one here. When Duke is discussing VMI early on, he metions Stonewall, Jackson, Robert E. Lee, George Marshall, and George Patton as getting their start at VWI. Lee was never directly associated with VMI and was a West Point graduate. Stonewall Jackson was also a West Point graduate thou he was at VMI as a major when Virginia joined the Confederacy having already served many years in other postings. The George S Patton everyone knows actually went to VMI for one year but then went to West Point. His grandfather, also George S Patton and a Confederate Colonel killed during the the war was a VMI grad. Marshall was indeed a graduate of VMI and was the first non-West Point graduate four star in the Army.

Sorry, about this, but I am such a neophyte at the school of John Wayne I have to show off something that I do know.

• In your other reviews you often list historical innaccuracies or production issues so I thought I'd give you one here. When Duke is discussing VMI early on, he metions Stonewall, Jackson, Robert E. Lee, George Marshall, and George Patton as getting their start at VWI. Lee was never directly associated with VMI and was a West Point graduate. Stonewall Jackson was also a West Point graduate thou he was at VMI as a major when Virginia joined the Confederacy having already served many years in other postings. The George S Patton everyone knows actually went to VMI for one year but then went to West Point. His grandfather, also George S Patton and a Confederate Colonel killed during the the war was a VMI grad. Marshall was indeed a graduate of VMI and was the first non-West Point graduate four star in the Army.

Sorry, about this, but I am such a neophyte at the school of John Wayne I have to show off something that I do know.

Thank you for pointing that out,
    but it was Duke who said that not me,
    perhaps if Duke were alive you could take that up with him.
    In the meantime, if you are a neophyte, read things as quoted,
    and stick around, you might learn something
    .....next point!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Thank you for pointing that out,
    but it was Duke who said that not me,
    perhaps if Duke were alive you could take that up with him.
    In the meantime, if you are a neophyte, read things as quoted,
    and stick around, you might learn something
    .....next point!!

Didn't say you said it. What I said was, in many of your other reviews (and in most of the posts by the maybe a dozen active members here)you point out innacuracies, you did not seem to in this one where there are obvious ones to me. Snarky could be a reason for a dozen members by the way.

• Unfortunately, none of us around here are perfect, but we try. Anytime anyone spots an inaccuracy around here, jump in and correct it, if possible. We do pride ourselves in having the best and most accurate sight on the internet with regards to the heritage of John Wayne and those associated with him.

Chester :newyear: