Up the River (1930)

There are 41 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 30,753 times. The latest Post () was by arthurarnell.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Well said Arthur

Now if you can find out for me please when Tracy's leave of abscence was we might be able to make an educated guess as to when shooting took place.

And yes there are some good reliable books out there that document accurately the films of JW. Fred Landesman's book being the obvious one.

thanks Elly

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• According to the book Spencer Tracy Fox Film Actor: The Pre-Code Legacy of a Hollywood Legend, Tracy arrived in Hollywood in the summer of 1930 to make Up the River. He had taken six weeks' leave from a play in New York, of which he was obligated to appear for several more months.

Somewhere else I read that Tracy left New York for California in June 1930 to make Up the River, but I can't remember the source.

It doesn't pinpoint the production date but does narrow it down based on an October 1930 premiere.

• According to the book Spencer Tracy Fox Film Actor: The Pre-Code Legacy of a Hollywood Legend, Tracy arrived in Hollywood in the summer of 1930 to make Up the River. He had taken six weeks' leave from a play in New York, of which he was obligated to appear for several more months.

Somewhere else I read that Tracy left New York for California in June 1930 to make Up the River, but I can't remember the source.

It doesn't pinpoint the production date but does narrow it down based on an October 1930 premiere.

Hi Neil

thanks for this information. I think we need to bear in mind that we are talking about JW being involved in a very MINOR way with this film. Perhaps less than one days work.

JW himself said "A funny thing happened with Ford after The Big Trail. He was a strange character, you know. After I did that picture, I came back, and he was making Up the River."

Big trail was shot April to July so I really do not see why JW could NOT have had a small role in this film?

Dan Ford said that Fox were going to cancel this film after the release by MGM of "the big house" 14th June 1930. However Ford persuaded Fox to let it be made as a comedy and Ford & others spent 2 weeks rewriting it as a comedy. If that is the case then shooting on Up the river started end June early July at the earliest.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• As I said yesterday it might make a good detective story or even a massive jigsaw puzzle but I believe we have the sufficiently motivated and able people to undertake this after all this motivation is what makes this board so superior.
    Regards
    Arthur

Another factor this board displays, is the very positive way the moderators and members try to work with everyone, in a positive lite, encouraging them on to Greater heights.

Chester :newyear:

• Hi

I think the point here is that Ford completely blanked Duke not once but twice as he approached him almost as if he wasn't welcome on the lot never mind the set.

When Tracy arrived along with Humphrey Bogart Ford immediately took to Tracy they became great drinking buddies and spent all their time together.
    Bogart made the mistake of calling Ford Jack without being invited to and during the shooting of his scenes Ford referred to him as 'was that scene ok for you Mr Bogart'.

I think that as was the case with George O'Brien at that time Ford had time for one friend at a time it wasn't until much later with his 'stock company'that he gathered a fraternity around him.
    During his early career he was considered a loner and a man who kept himself and his thoughts to himself.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

The Broadway data base is very sketchy about 'The Last Mile' stating that the play opened 0n Feb 13th 1930 and ran until October 1930.

Spencer tracy's biography on Wikipedia (and I am aware of that medias reputation) states the following:-

' In 1930 Broadway was being heavily scouted for actors to work in the new film medium of talkies and Tracy was drawn into the process. Within a month of the opening of 'The Last Mile' he masde his screen debut in a Vitaphone short called'Taxi Talks'. This was followed by a second short The Hard Guy'. One of the scouts who saw Tracy in The Last Mile was director John Ford. Ford's next picture was set to be in a prison movies and he wanted Tracy for the lead role.'

If that is true then Tracy's screen debut would be around March in New York. This shortens the time spell I will continue to dig around.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

At this point the trail goes very cold

Taxi Talks 14 mins Released 14th June 1930

The Hard Guy 6 mins Released 6th September 1930

Not quite sure where to go now.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• The information I quoted, Elly, was not to refute things but to substantiate them.

Hello Neil

I am so sorry I can see how you thought that, that was what I was doing.

I was in fact replying to several posts within one and I should have made that clear.

I also should have replied at a time was I was not so tired.

But, I think we have concurred about the production time as you have said Tracy left New York in June and I have quoted Dan Ford saying that Fox were going to cancel but Ford persuded them to rewrite it as a comedy which was mid June. (taking 2 weeks)

Also I read in the posts that Ford asked Tracy to extend his leave of absence for another 2 weeks. (which was originally for six weeks)

so lets assume start date 1st July + 6 weeks takes us to mid August + another 2 weeks for reshooting scenes (without Tracy as he did not extend his LOA) etc. we are now at September. I assume that there is then an editing process and other techie things that have to happen? and the release date was 12th October.

And of course whilst all of this was going on JW shocked Ford with his impromptu walk on, so that's why Ford blanked him. Ford thought JW was getting above himself, walking into his picture without permission!! LOL

sound reasonable?

My sincere apologies.

Elly

Edited 2 times, last by Elly: spelling ().

• "And of course whilst all of this was going on JW shocked Ford with his impromptu walk on, so that's why Ford blanked him. Ford thought JW was getting above himself, walking into his picture without permission!! LOL"

Just wondering, did the extras have to have permission from the Director to be in his film? Seems like the spots you have possibly located Duke were very distant from the on film action. Or did I miss a story where Duke was a bit pushier?
    Knowing Mr. Ford's history, I could visualize your scenario, easily.

Chester :newyear;

• Hi All

That timescale fits in just nicely Tag Gallagher in John Ford the Man and his Films quotes that Up The River was shot in the Summer of 1930.

I think possibly that just about ties it up. One thing is sure after reading the lasts posts we certainly know more about that period of Dukes career than previously and for that reason I think this exercise has been well worth while.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Well said and done Arthur.
    It is a fruitful and rewarding exercise analyzing these old films,
    and already we have re- written and indeed written something new.

Elly has proven that Duke appeared an an earlier movie then we thought,
    namely Careful Please, shot before Brown of Harvard
    which was always considered his first visual movie.

None of the books have ever stated exactly where and when he met John Ford,
    but from just watching a readily available documentary,
    one can hear and watch Duke say, Mother Machree.
    Perhaps the authors can now re-edit their books!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• "And of course whilst all of this was going on JW shocked Ford with his impromptu walk on, so that's why Ford blanked him. Ford thought JW was getting above himself, walking into his picture without permission!! LOL"

Just wondering, did the extras have to have permission from the Director to be in his film? Seems like the spots you have possibly located Duke were very distant from the on film action. Or did I miss a story where Duke was a bit pushier?
    Knowing Mr. Ford's history, I could visualize your scenario, easily.

Chester :newyear;

THIS WAS ME GETTING ABOVE MYSELF!!

As a published author and world expert on all things John Wayne I was merely stating what I knew to be true LOL

Seriously though, it was just conjecture on my part to tie together JW finishing filming the big trail, being in up the river and Ford blanking him.

Good question about extras I would like to know the answer to that please?

I am sure JW said he did the hanging scene in Hangmans house as a result of a phone call from his boss in the "swing gang". However Ford could have asked the boss of the gang to call JW. Just strikes me as an informal way of doing things that COULD have been the norm.

kind regards

Elly

• Well said and done Arthur.
    It is a fruitful and rewarding exercise analyzing these old films,

Perhaps the authors can now re-edit their books!

Hello Keith

It is also very tiring, time consuming and frustrating!

NO! I hope they do not revise their books - just more cash in their pockets on the back of someone elses work! Unless of course they are bringing something new as well.

• Hi

Carolyn Mcgivern wrote a very interesting book about Duke with far less material than I imagine Elly has gathered and took on Michael Wayne and Wayne Enterprises to boot, at least that obstacle has been removed, Go to it Elly and more powere to you elbow.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Maybe its getting close to the time when Elly might be writing her own book.

Chester :newyear:

Not a snowball in hell's chance of me doing that! I am a good researcher but no JK Rowling!

Anyway, this is just a hobby for me and I am very happy to share my findings and put everything I know on DVD for anyone who wanted it.

If someone else wanted to publish it then fine but not me!

The title should be the "Almost forgotten work of JW" Because as well as these early films it should include all of the radio, TV and narration work he did. And do not forget he was also a Stage actor. (in one play 1949 What price glory)

And if there were plenty of screen captures and pictures, then maybe there would be enough for a book.

Elly