The Blue Eagle (1926)

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,024 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• THE BLUE EAGLE

DIRECTED AND PRODUCED BY JOHN FORD
    FOX FILM CORPORATION

Janet Gaynor, George O’Brien & Margaret Livingston
    Copyright of silenthollywood.com/theblueeagle

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
    George D'Arcy and Tim Ryan, rival leaders of neighborhood gangs,
    become stokers and watertenders on a U. S. battleship during the World War.
    For a time, their rivalry over politics, social affairs, and the same girl--Rose--
    is held in check by discipline, but their parish priest,
    Father Joe, the ship's chaplain, finally decides to let them fight it out in the ring.
    Their fight is interrupted, however, by a submarine attack, which is repelled.
    After the war the feud continues until narcotics smugglers kill one of
    George's brothers and shoot Tim's buddy; together they storm the smugglers'
    stronghold and blow up their submarine. Later, under the supervision of Father Joe,
    a fight is staged, and George is the victor.

Full Cast
    George O'Brien ... George Darcy
    Janet Gaynor ... Rose Kelly
    William Russell ... Big Tim Ryan
    Margaret Livingston ... Mrs. Mary Rohan
    Robert Edeson ... Chaplain Regan, aka Father Joe
    Philip Ford ... Limpy Darcy (as Phillip Ford)
    David Butler ... Nick 'Dizzy' Galvani
    Lew Short ... Sergeant Kelly
    Ralph Sipperly ... Slats 'Dip' Mulligan
    Jerry Madden ... Baby Tom
    Jack Herrick ... 'On Da Nose' Sailor (uncredited)
    Jack Pennick ... Ship's Crewman (uncredited)
    Charles Sullivan ... Sailor Giving George Boxing Gloves (uncredited)
    Harry Tenbrook ... Bascom, a Stoker (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    Gerald Beaumont story "The Lord's Referee"
    Malcolm Stuart Boylan titles
    Gordon Rigby (as L.G. Rigby)

Cinematography
    George Schneiderman
    Arthur Edeson (uncredited)

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• The Blue Eagle is a 1926 silent American action film,
    Starring George O'Brien and Janet Gaynor

Prints of the film exist in the Library of Congress film archive
    and in the UCLA Film and Television

See;
    Library of Congress- The Blue Eagle

User Review

4 October 1999 | by mgmax (Chicago)

Imagine a version of What Price Glory in which the two brawlin' rivals take on a big drug dealer who has a James Bond-like lair complete with submarine. You couldn't have sold that as a blaxploitation film to AIP in the 70s-- though you might be able to sell it as a Jackie Chan movie now-- but who'd have ever thought that you could have sold it as a John Ford picture at Fox in the twenties? That's basically what this very minor but watchable Ford film is about; it might be better if the lost footage, sadly, didn't include the big naval battle scene in the middle. Gaynor is charming as the object of the rivals' affection, though this is no rival to Sunrise as a pairing of her and O'Brien.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hi Keith

I just watched a poor quality copy of this and from what I could make out it was a good film. Shame we cannot get better quality copies of these early Ford and JW films - there are plenty of prints as you point out - and plenty of fans to buy the DVDs.

I keep writing to the copyright holders but have yet to receive a reply from any of them.

And I noticed on TCM forums there are clickable links to lobby the likes of Fox to release what they have.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Hi Ellie,
    I would love to see even a poor quality copy. However you are correct for sure........what a shame. Don't know what happened to my pictures above, or below or wherever this new thing is going to post, but I had pictures in the ones I posted on the Three Bad men thread. And. I am pretty sure the one EK corrected was larger than the one he did above. This is most exasperating. Sure hope it gets fixed soon. Bill, (Gorch) is like me.....unless we can find a way to post the pics full sized again..........we will just post them elsewhere. One thing that made JWMB a lot better than other sites was the ability to post full sized pics in the post and not having to click on them to get an enlargement. Would love to know if there is a Blue Eagles on line somewhere. Thanks, KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE