Olive Films

There are 133 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 92,961 times. The latest Post () was by Durhamcowboy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• A very long list of Republic films that Olive Films will eventually release on Blu-ray and DVD has been posted at Home Theater Forum:

http://www.hometheaterforum.co…ve-films/930#post_3953931

Olive has licensed these titles from Paramount, which now holds the rights to many Republic films.

This long list includes *32* John Wayne titles, some of which have been previously released on DVD, but apparently everything will be remastered and should look better than ever.

Here's the list of John Wayne titles (3 have already been announced for Blu-ray/DVD):

Angel and the Badman (1947)
    Dakota (1945)
    Dark Command (1940)
    The Fighting Kentuckian (1949)
    The Fighting Seabees (1944)
    Flame of Barbary Coast (1945)
    Flying Tigers (1942)
    Frontier Horizon (1939) AKA New Frontier
    In Old California (1942)
    King of the Pecos (1936)
    Lady For a Night (1942)
    Lady From Louisiana (1941)
    A Lady Takes a Chance (1943)
    The Lawless Nineties (1936)
    The Lonely Trail (1936)
    A Man Betrayed (1941) aka Wheel of Fortune
    The New Frontier (1935)
    Oregon Trail (1936)
    Pals of the Saddle (1938)
    The Quiet Man (1952)
    Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)
    Santa Fe Stampede (1938)
    Three Faces West (1940)
    Wake of the Red Witch (1948)
    War of the Wildcats (1943) aka In Old Oklahoma
    Westward Ho (1935)
    Wyoming Outlaw (1939)

Pretty amazing, huh?!

About The Quiet Man, which is on this list -- here is some information about it in an interview with Frank Tarzi, Olive's Head of Acquisitions, which you can read here: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9202

Tarzi says this about The Quiet Man:

"Well, a 3-strip Technicolor film like The Quiet Man needs special care. We've done a 4K scan off the original negative from the studio's archives but that's just the beginning. There's a very complicated re- mastering process that needs to be done for a Technicolor film like this and we want to get it right."

This is very exciting news and I am looking forward to all the John Wayne titles (and a lot of other titles on the list)... but especially The Quiet Man. :)

• Paula, Paula, Paula,
    What would we do without your up to the minute updates on all things technology and film based!
    Now that I've picked myself off the floor, after that amazing list of pending releases, I can start getting excited about The Quiet Man, which is appalling on DVD, Angel and the Badman and Sands of Iwo Jima!
    I'll reserve judgement on the early republic titles until the first batch are released to see how much better they actually are.
    I've ordered most of the current list of classic Westerns olive have released on Blu ray but have only watched one so far, which was great.
    Let's hope the others are as good.
    Thank you again, personally and for all on the forum.
    Dooley (Peter)

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• I am so glad to see Angel and the Badman is on that list. My DVD is dark in places and shows it's age. That's one I would snatch up! And The Quiet Man is a must on Blu-ray. And I've never seen Oregon Trail, so that's now on my list. Thanks for the update, Paula.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• More discussion of The Quiet Man and the Frank Tarzi interview -- comments from preservationist Robert A. Harris (his restoration work includes Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on the Rive Kwai, My Fair Lady and Vertigo):

http://www.hometheaterforum.co…-blu-ray/150#post_3954082

I saw Vertigo at the cinema when the restored version was re-released a few years ago. It was stunning so here's to hoping The Quiet Man gets a theatrical release also!

• Hi

With everyone waxing lyrical in expectation of the Quiet Man only one has picked up on the Oregon Trail. if this is true a release of this film is ground shattering as it has been considered lost for years.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I Agree, I assume that may be as it's an unknown quantity.
    I've had a quick look at the entire list of Republic titles Olive have ear-marked for release and there are some fantastic non Duke films in there too!
    I'm going to need a bigger shelf!

• Bill, First of all,
    Let's keep posts about the Olive Films in one thread,
    so I have moved yours here.

Secondly the status of 'lost' films is here
    Duke's Missing and Rare Movies

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I have now watched four of the Olive films Westerns i have bought and can wholeheartedly recommend them. The quality has been superb, no transfers from a dvd copy here. They do lack a little in terms of extras but the quality far outweighs this shortcoming.
    I cannot wait for the republic releases they have scheduled!

• I have now watched four of the Olive films Westerns i have bought and can wholeheartedly recommend them. The quality has been superb, no transfers from a dvd copy here. They do lack a little in terms of extras but the quality far outweighs this shortcoming.
    I cannot wait for the republic releases they have scheduled!

Do let us know about the Republic releases when you do review them. I want to know if they are better quality than what is out there now. If it isn't a tremendous difference, I don't see me adding them.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Do let us know about the Republic releases when you do review them. I want to know if they are better quality than what is out there now. If it isn't a tremendous difference, I don't see me adding them.

Mark

Hi Mark,
    So far they have all been far superior in quality to what I had on DVD.
    I have watched to date:
    High Noon
    Hannie Caulder
    The Hangman
    Johnny Guitar

I have:
    The Night of the Grizzly
    Rio Grande
    Assault on the Queen
    Denver & Rio Grande
    All lined up with the early Duke titles on pre order purely on the strength of the ones I have watched.

The main question remains, all the titles to date were in pretty good shape so the raw material was there to start with. Regarding the early republic Mesquiteers titles I have on DVD, all are very poor quality in comparison so it'll be interesting to see if they've unearthed a decent print.

Rest assured I'll be on here making my opinion known as usual!:wink_smile:

ATB,
    Peter (Dooley)

Edited 3 times, last by Dooley ().

• So finally sat down and watched my, somewhat tardy, copy of Rio Grande on Olive Films Blu Ray.
    What a wonderful, wonderful film, I love it more each time I see it, made all the more special having been to Monument Valley earlier this year.
    So we know the film is a true classic, so how does the transfer compare to the DVD?
    Sorry guys but it's time to put your hands in your pockets again: The transfer is gorgeous!

I have done my duty as one of the resident 'geeks' on the forum and watched the same scenes on the DVD and Blu Ray flicking from one to the other... There is no comparison.
    Even from the start when the children run out to greet the returning soldiers you can clearly see the difference. The DVD is far too bright and blasts out all the detail, on Blu ray you can see the patten on the children's dresses which appear virtually white on the DVD.

The actual picture quality is also a huge leap forward. IMO I would say it's at least a 60% improvement on the DVD if not more. The sound is pretty good too.

Short but sweet, it's a must buy.

Really excited now about the upcoming early republic releases!

Edited once, last by Dooley ().

• Another goodie from Olive Films, for the Joel McCrea fans. Ben Johnson doubled for McCrea in this film.

FROM THE DIRECTOR OF “SPRINGFIELD RIFLE” AND “DAY OF THE OUTLAW”
    FIRST TIME ON DVD AND Blu-ray
    REMASTERED IN HD FROM AN ARCHIVAL 35MM FINEGRAIN PRINT

JOEL McCREA | VERONICA LAKE
    RAMROD (1947) Directed by ANDRE DE TOTH
    with DON DeFORE | DONALD CRISP | LLOYD BRIDGES | PRESTON FOSTER

PREBOOK 10/23/12 STREET 11/20/12

DVD UPC# 887090046503 CAT# OF465 $24.95srp
    BLU-RAY UPC# 887090046602 CAT# OF466 $29.95srp

This western from legendary director Andre De Toth (House of Wax) was the first of several films based on the stories of western author Luke Short (Silver City). Western legend Joel McCrea (Ride the High Country) stars as a veteran cowhand Dave Nash, who’s hired by Connie Dickason (Veronica Lake), a strong-willed daughter of Ben Dickason (Charles Ruggles), a ranch owner who has become the toady of a powerful local cattleman, Frank Ivey (Preston Foster), whom Ben once wanted Connie to marry. Connie has inherited a sheep ranch from her ex-husband and is determined to run the ranch with the help of her new Ramrod and his crew of anti-Ivey locals despite the opposition of Ivey and her father. The resulting bloody range war is much to the dismay of Dave, who wants to resolve Connie’s problems with Ivey legally. The Stellar cast includes Dan DeFore, Donald Crisp, Arleen Whelan and Lloyd Bridges.

1947 | B&W | 95 Minutes | Not Rated | 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio

“RAMROD” JOEL McCREA VERONICA LAKE DONALD CRISP DON DeFORE
    a HARRY SHERMAN production directed by ANDRE DE TOTH
    RAMROD © 1947 MELANGE PICTURES LLC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

• I should add that I love Joel McCrea... in westerns and everything else! One of my all-time favorite movies is Sullivan's Travels. ;)

Thanks Paula, that's a great film! Glad it's being released by olive films so hopefully it'll be a great transfer. I agree re Joel mcCrea also, very solid in everything I've ever seen him in.
    Currently watching Night of the Grizzly on olive films on Blu ray.
    I must admit, it's the least impressive transfer of all the Olive film Blu rays I've watched to date but it's also the first one I have no direct comparison to check against.

• Watched Run For Cover on Olive Films Blu Ray starring James Cagney.
    Superb transfer and a good taught western as you'd expect from Nicholas Ray.
    I may upset people but I often find James Cagney difficult to believe.