Frontier Marshal (1939)

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 32,141 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• FRONTIER MARSHAL

DIRECTED BY ALLAN DWAN
    PRODUCED BY SOL M. WURTZEL
    TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX FILM CORPORATION

Photo with the courtesy of lasbugas

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
    Earp agrees to become marshal and establish order in Tombstone
    in this very romanticized version of the gunfight at the O.K. Corral
    (e.g., Doc is killed by Curley before the actual battle and Earp must do the job alone).
    Written by Ed Stephan

Early low budget version of the famous Gunfight at OK Corral with Scott as Wyatt Earp
    and Romero as Doc Holiday.
    Remade by John Ford as "My Darling Clementine" in 1946
    and by John Sturges as "Gunfight at OK Corral" in 1957
    Written by jbsports

Full Cast
    Randolph Scott ... Wyatt Earp
    Nancy Kelly ... Sarah Allen
    Cesar Romero ... John 'Doc' Halliday
    Binnie Barnes ... Jerry
    John Carradine ... Ben Carter
    Edward Norris ... Dan Blackmore
    Eddie Foy Jr. ... Eddie Foy
    Ward Bond ... Town Marshal
    Lon Chaney Jr. ... Pringle
    Chris-Pin Martin ... Pete
    Joe Sawyer ... Curley Bill
    Dell Henderson ... Dave Hall (as Del Henderson)
    Harry Hayden ... Mayor John Henderson
    Ventura Ybarra ... Pablo:
    Walter Baldwin ... (scenes deleted)
    John Bleifer ... (scenes deleted)
    Eddie Dunn ... Card Player (scenes deleted)
    Edward LeSaint ... (scenes deleted)
    Tom London ... (scenes deleted)
    Kathryn Sheldon ... Mrs. Garvey (scenes deleted)
    Harry Strang ... (scenes deleted)
    Richard Alexander ... Curly Bill's Henchman (uncredited)
    Jimmy Aubrey ... Cockney (uncredited)
    Arthur Aylesworth ... Card Player (uncredited)
    Hank Bell ... Townsman with Large Mustache (uncredited)
    Ed Brady ... Gambler (uncredited)
    Margaret Brayton ... Mother (uncredited)
    Harlan Briggs ... Editor (uncredited)
    John Butler ... Harassed Man (uncredited)
    Henry Clive ... Gambler (uncredited)
    Heinie Conklin ... Drunk (uncredited)
    Richard Cramer ... Bella Union Bartender (uncredited)
    Jimmie Dundee ... Bully (uncredited)
    Dick Elliott ... Drunk (uncredited)
    Fern Emmett ... Hotel Maid (uncredited)
    Al Ferguson ... Gambler (uncredited)
    Don Hamilton ... (uncredited)
    Si Jenks ... Prospector (uncredited)
    Cy Kendall ... Winning Card Player (uncredited)
    Ethan Laidlaw ... Tough (uncredited)
    Hank Mann ... Drunk (uncredited)
    Jim Mason ... Townsman (uncredited)
    Philo McCullough ... Tough (uncredited)
    George Melford ... (uncredited)
    Pat O'Malley ... Bar Patron (uncredited)
    Post Park ... Bill (uncredited)
    William Pawley ... Buck Newton (uncredited)
    Gloria Roy ... Dance Hall Girl (uncredited)
    Jack C. Smith ... (uncredited)
    Jack Stoney ... Drunk (uncredited)
    Ferris Taylor ... Doctor (uncredited)
    Tom Tyler ... Buck Newton (uncredited)
    Blackie Whiteford ... Pringle's Henchman (uncredited)
    Harry Woods ... Curly Bill's Henchman (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    Stuart N. Lake (book "Wyatt Earp, Frontier Marshal")
    Sam Hellman (screenplay)

Original Music
    Samuel Kaylin (uncredited)
    Charles Maxwell (uncredited)
    David Raksin (uncredited)
    Walter Scharf (uncredited)

Cinematography
    Charles G. Clarke

Trivia
    Charles Stevens, who plays a drunken Indian, repeats the role in director John Ford's remake, My Darling Clementine. Stevens, who is half Mexican and half Apache, is the grandson of legendary Apache warrior Geronimo.

Several cast members in studio records/casting call lists did not appear or were not identifiable in the movie. These were (with their character names, if any): Walter Baldwin, John Bleifer, Eddie Dunn (Card Player), Edward LeSaint, Tom London, Kathryn Sheldon (Mrs. Garvey) and Harry Strang. Because of period makeup, some of these actors may not have been cut, but were not recognized.

Goofs
    Anachronisms
    The film is set in the period from 1877 to 1880, but three of the songs sung were published in the late 1880s.

Factual errors
    The film has Doc Holliday being shot to death in an ambush by Curly Bill Brocius shortly before the shootout at the OK Corral in Tombstone, Arizona, on October 26. 1881. Holliday actually died of consumption in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, on November 8, 1887.

Curly Bill Brocius is shown being shot to death by Doc Holliday's girlfriend--here called "Jerry", but whose real name was Mary Horony, aka "Big Nose Kate"--after he escaped from the shootout at the OK Corral. The fact is that Brocius, who was not at the gunfight, was killed by Wyatt Earp in the desert outside of Tombstone several days later.

The film has the famous Gunfight at the OK Corral occurring at night, when in fact it happened at approximately 3:00 in the afternoon.

The famous gunfight at the OK Corral is shown as being between Wyatt Earp on one side and Curly Bill Brocius and several of his gunmen on the other side, in which everyone on Brocius' side was killed. The fact is that Earp was not alone, being accompanied by his brothers Morgan and Virgil and his friend Doc Holliday; Curly Bill Brocius was not at the gunfight; Ike Clanton and Billy Claiborne, two of the Earp factions' opponents, ran when the shooting started and survived the fight.

Wyatt Earp is shown killing at least four men by himself during the OK Corral gunfight; the fact is that only three people, Billy Clanton and brothers Frank and Tom McLaury,were killed in the fight, and at least one of them was killed by Doc Holliday

Filming Locations
    20th Century Fox Studios - 10201 Pico Blvd., Century City, Los Angeles, California, USA (studio)
    Alabama Hills, Lone Pine, California, USA

Watch the Movie

[extendedmedia=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObPvPq1Pq34,fa-youtube-square][/extendedmedia]

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Frontier Marshal is a 1939 western film
    starring Randolph Scott as Wyatt Earp.

It is the second film produced by Sol M. Wurtzel based on Stuart N. Lake's
    highly fictionalized account of Earp, Wyatt Earp: Frontier Marshal.
    An earlier version was Wurtzel's Frontier Marshal, filmed in 1934.
    A later version of the story was filmed by John Ford in 1946,
    My Darling Clementine, which included whole scenes reshot
    from the 1939 film.

Frontier Marshal co-stars Nancy Kelly, Cesar Romero as "Doc Halliday"
    (the name was changed for the film from the original "Holliday"),
    John Carradine, and Lon Chaney, Jr..
    Ward Bond appears as the town marshal; Bond was also in the 1934 version,
    and later appears as Morgan Earp in Ford's film.
    Frontier Marshal was directed by Alan Dwan.

User Review

Genesis of My Darling Clementine, 25 March 2004
    Author: rsyung from United States

What's most interesting about Frontier Marshal is the fact that it is clearly the genesis of My Darling Clementine, directed by John Ford seven years later. It is hard to view this movie without automatically thinking of the parallel scenes in MDC, and Ford's film draws heavily on the inter-relationships of Doc Holliday, Wyatt Earp, Sarah(Clementine in Ford's film) and the saloon girl, Jerry(Chihuahua). Other scenes are reworked into Ford's film as well…the disarming of the drunken Indian, dunking of the saloon girl into the trough, Doc Holliday attempting to redeem himself by performing surgery on a gunshot victim(in this case, the son of the Mexican bartender(in Ford's film, it was Chihuahua, Doc's `girl'), and a wandering theatric (a comic here, a Shakespearian thespian in MDC). This film is much slighter, with fewer themes and subtexts than Ford's and concentrates mostly on the relationship between Earp and Holliday and Holliday's redemption at the end. It plays out like a programmer, running a mere 71 minutes, so granted there isn't much time to devote to anything else. The themes of chaos versus order, civilization versus wilderness are only hinted at, and Randolph Scott is adequate as Wyatt Earp but without the underlying vulnerability(and humor) of Fonda's performance. The same might be said of Cesar Romero as Doc Holliday (for some reason changed to Halliday). He doesn't have the depth of Victor Mature's tortured Doc, in what was perhaps his best performance in any film, but the same self-destructive streak is evident as he attempts to drink himself to death, only to be stopped by Earp. Clearly, MDC was the more thought provoking of the two, but it cannot be denied that without Frontier Marshal, there would have been no MDC, or at least the one I consider a true western classic. What a quirk of fate that Ward Bond is in both films--the ineffective town marshal here, and later promoted to the role of Morgan Earp in Ford's version.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• And Wyatt's love interest in this is played by the beautiful Nancy Kelly, who also played the love interest of another famous old west character. She played Zerelda James opposite Tyrone Powers Jesse James in the movie of the same name.

• Thought Vic Mature was excellent in this, but I thought he gave a spectacular performance outside of his normal persona in CHINA DOLL! KPKEITH,,,,,,,,,,,,good for you WARD! Ward was excellent in China Doll, and as I have said before did a whole day's dialogue with a broken bone is his hip so Mature would not miss his plane the next day. If you freeze frame his sitting down in Vic's place, you will see the agony on his face and how he has to let himself down every so slowly leaning on his fists!

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• hawkwill,mature was in clementine not frontier marshal.

Quite right you are Ringo Kid, but I STILL, after two months and 13 or so days here, I haven't mastered the Multi Quote thing.....should have just copied and pasted as I usually do. I was referring to the quote in the USER REVIEW posted by Ethan below that said:

"He doesn't have the depth of Victor Mature's tortured Doc, in what was perhaps his best performance in any film."

Now, I haven't seen all of Vic's films, but I have seen this and China Doll. To ME, China Doll was his best performance yet. Just my opinion, of course!
    Happy Saturday, Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE