Family War Medals or Acknowledgements

There are 42 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 13,900 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I know that there are a great many members who have served their country. They also have relatives who have. This thread is for those who have received unusual acknowledgements or even regular medals, parade review ceremonies, etc. Pictures are most welcome if you have them.

Show off your medals or those of your relatives. Be proud, as we are of you.

My father could not join a military establishment because he was deaf. So, upon graduating Clemson in 1943, he began working for Curtis Wright Aircraft immediately. He worked on four planes that we know of and the pictures of those planes hang in the house next to Mom's plaques, commendations, etc. As we consider those to be Dad's War Medals! Please post those of yours and your families. Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• This is a transport troop carrier. Seems as if all airplanes had problems, but this one, although a nightmare to keep running, must have done its job well, because the C-46 Commandos continue in operation as a rugged cargo transport for Arctic and remote locations into the 21st century. I don't know what parts of any of the planes my father was responsible for, but as an architect, I would assume they were structural.
    So, this is one of Dad's "Medals"!

• This little two seater had problems also, but The Helldivers would participate in battles over the Marianas, Philippines (partly responsible for sinking the Musashi), Taiwan, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa (in the sinking of the Yamato). They were also used in the 1945 attacks on the Ryuku Islands and the Japanese home island of Honshū in tactical attacks on airfields, communications, and shipping. They were also used extensively in patrols during the period between the dropping of the atomic bombs and the official Japanese surrender, and in the immediate pre-occupation period.
    (Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_SB2C_Helldiver) Dad's 2nd War Medal.

• Dad's fourth Medal. This is a trainer developed to take Pilots from single engine light planes to heavier dual engine planes. I think there are only two of them left in the world.

• Forgot the Army version of the Dive Bomber. The Navy used them on carriers so the wings had to fold. Most of the Army's were not used for that. One of the Four planes that Dad worked on for Curtiss Wright. As soon as the war was over, he moved to Atlanta and joined a large architectural firm that designed some of the largest and "first of their kind" buildings in the USl Dad was the Specifications manager. Pretty great for someone who never heard a thing until he graduated from Clemson University and got his first hearing aid! Proud, yep, always will be!

Curtiss A-25 Attack Bomber

• Here's a Unique One my Dad recieved from the Alabama National Guard. The Phenix City Campaign Medal. It was issued to Alabama National Guard troops that were sent to Phenix City, Alabama on 18 June 1954 to combat the corruption and lawlessness in the city. This mobilization came when recently elected Attorney General Patterson was gunned down on the street in Phenix City. Troops remained in Phenix City until 17 January 1955. Considered the most sinful city in the United States at the time it is now basically a suburb and bedroom community to Fort Benning and Columbus, Georgia

• Thanks RK, I was hoping maybe you might have medals or something you could put together and explain what they were given for? Maybe explain why certain soldiers got a parade review for something heroic, and others got medals. Can't find my grandfather's war stuff, but have it somewhere, LOL. Well, thanks if you can post anything. The Curtiss bomber had its problems, but apparently the Navy really did a number with them from aircraft carriers.
    Keith

• Hi BJA, I answered you this morning,,,,,,,don't know where it went. But, thanks for sharing your Dad's medal. Most interesting to see one for something that happened in the states. And you presented and explained it nicely for us. Thanks again, Keith

• Thanks RK, I was hoping maybe you might have medals or something you could put together and explain what they were given for? Maybe explain why certain soldiers got a parade review for something heroic, and others got medals. Can't find my grandfather's war stuff, but have it somewhere, LOL. Well, thanks if you can post anything. The Curtiss bomber had its problems, but apparently the Navy really did a number with them from aircraft carriers.
    Keith

Hi Keith, ive got tons of medals and awards that I could explain away on. However, most of them were not family issued awards but--I do have some of my Dads stuff as well as some of my Grandads stuff. Most of the stuff I have is German though. The oldest medal I have is from the 1848 Constitution War and is an Austrian-Tyrol Campaign Medal. The newest I go up to is a 1957 Cased Knights Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds and was made for one of the WWII Luftwaffe recipients fo those awards as a wearable replacement for his wartime awards because at the time and still now--its against the law for them to wear wartime badges because of the Swaz on them. These look mostly like the WWII badges--but no swaz.

For my Grandfather--I only have some of his WWII stuff which includes: the Merchant Mariners Medal for War Wounded. These are more rare than a wartime Knights Cross-etx but not worth much on the collectors market unfortunately. These sell for about $400 without case and ribbon bar--I have both. The rest of my granddads stuff are only ribbon bars--several for participating in battles in the Atlantic and Pacific--and other stuff-but none of the medals are in my possession. I also have his "V" Eagle pin-which was jeweler made and is solid silver with painted highlights.

The only WWII thing that survives from my Dads stuff-is hiw WWII Victory Medal and maybe a few ribbon bars. I need to write to the 8th and 5th AF vets sites to see how I can go about finding out what my father earned during both wars so I can get them replaced.

As for the Germans stuff I have--most is WWII but I have Imperial stuff too. The 2nd oldest award I have is an 1870 Iron Cross 2nd class. These can easily go for a rough $1,000 these days. I also had a 3-place ribbon bar that was researched and did belong to the "99 Day Kaiser" which is also from 1870.

IF anyone wishes? I can get these scanned sometime to CD and send it to them to post for me as I have no knowledge or way to post them myself.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• Oh my goodness, you will be GREAT for our new thread. Sure, scan them, and put who got them and what they are for. I will teach you to post them. very easy and provides a storage space for the pics for you for free.

We can go to the chat room.....don't think anyone every uses it, and I can walk you through posting anything. It is SO much fun seeing your stuff up there. I think you will love it.

And, if for some reason you don't want to learn, you can send them to me via email [email protected] with the explanation and I will post them as say they are from you. But, I think you will LOVE photobucket once you see how it works. MUCH easier than trying to post from your albums on JWMB.

If you have any scanned and saved, send them to me with the explanation and I will post them. Thanks RK. You will really make the thread a PLUS!
    Keith

• Hi Keith, ill try to get to start scanning but will be at least a week before I can tyr. This coming week ive got drs appts and meetings and such but maybe the week after? I also have so much too. Ill keep in touch with you on what I cna get scanned or on CD and let you know. I dont mind trying to learn but--my computer messes up easily and it would be easire for me to just get them on CD-then mail it to you. I tried a photo bucket? account once--but it never worked so I gave up.

In all--im not sure how many awards I have--probably 50 or so?? most German. The good thing is--is that I have 12 Bronze and Silver Infantry Assault badges--and can only take a pix of one of each if wished? some fo these come with stories though since I got them directly from the Soldiers they were awarded to. Some also come with award documents with unit info, dates and also signatures of commanding officers and such.

Anyway, please let me know how you wish me to proceed? I have loads of stuff--but most will have a swaz on them because they were issued during the war years. The 1957 and the Imperial stuff--will have no swazes on them being from different periods of time.

Oh and, if interested? I also have a decent collection of Officer rank cloth. Only two of these have a form of a swaz or a swaz on them--which are my two collar tabs from the 11th SS Division "Nordland" and the 27th SS Division--which was actually only Brigade in strength) which has a trifos and they were called: SS Sturmbrigade Langemarck. I was good friends for years with that units only Knights Cross Recipient-by the name of Remy Schrijnen.

• Hi RK, I answered this....don't know where it went. Happened to me twice yesterday. Anyway, I will answer it better later. If you have any scanned already, send them on with their stories and papers. Hope you aren't really sick! More later, Keith

• Hi RK, I answered this....don't know where it went. Happened to me twice yesterday. Anyway, I will answer it better later. If you have any scanned already, send them on with their stories and papers. Hope you aren't really sick! More later, Keith

Hi Keith, I saw your mention earlier today and replied but forget where I saw it? Anyway--nothing scanned yet. Ill not be able to scan my Dads ribbon bars because they are sewn onto his USAF Tunic. Same with his 5th AF patch and his Sergeants stripes--all of which by themselves are highly collectable because--they are all Hand-Embroidered and theater made.

• I cant remember what thread it was in where Keith posted her Mothers awards and pics so im posting my Grandfathers stuff here. Its not all he had--I dont have any of his WWI stuff-just the WWII stuff--and then only some of that.

The photo is upside down but not Keiths fault:
    The actual Medal with matching ribbon bar is the: Merchant Marines Medal For War Wounded--which is rarer than the Medal of Honor. Its not worth a lot in monetary value--around $400--but I wouldnt get rid of it for the World.

The ribbon bars are various campaign awards and such. As I dont know much on American stuff-I cant tell you what they are. The silver star on the one ribbon means that he was in more than one action in that area of ops. Bronze would mean one action.

The greyish looking cross with swords is NOT one my grandfather was awarded--its an Imperial German Award. Its the lowest class of the Bavarian Military Merit Cross with crossed swords. Any soldier from Bavaria could get this award. If you see the award with Blue Enamel on it--these were ONLY awarded to officers.

The "V" pin is a private purchase pin for Victory in WWII. Im not sure what the Naval pin was for?

• These tell what the ribbons were for from post nr 1: I HAD two sets of these cards but a former friend pinched an entire set from me:

• Thank you Keith, and I have more--but nothing that belonged to my family and is all Imperial, WWII and 1957 German. I wouldnt mind getting my rank insignia posted--has nothing nasty on them (swaz) and really are cool to look at. I dont have those on CD yet but will if I ever get motivated? I have insignia that once belonged to a few famed persons including one who became a Field Marshal in WWII and one was a Grand Duke and such ;-))