Western Musicals-Index/Discussion

There are 13 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 25,993 times. The latest Post () was by Hawkswill.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• WESTERN MUSICALS

sheisgoingtoeatyou_zpse8f7cba5.jpg

I am sure many of us in our younger days,
    and probably even now, enjoyed those
    often, extravagant, Hollywood blockbuster Western Musicals.
    From Rose Marie, to Oklahoma, to Calamity Jane and Paint Your Wagon
    they were all part of our movie heritage,
    when films were wholesome and family orientated.

Rose Marie (1936)
    Annie Get Your Gun (1950)
    Calamity Jane (1953)
    Rose Marie (1954)
    Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)
    Oklahoma! (1955)
    The Unsinkable Molly Brown (1964)
    Paint Your Wagon (1969)

What are your favourites, if any?
    Not counting Singing Sandy, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers or Tex Ritter

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 16 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Annie Get Your Gun, of course!

The Unsinkable Molly Brown, which was Debby Reynolds' favorite musical role.

I'm strangely fond of The Kissing Bandit, though I'm sure Frank Sinatra would want my head examined. But it does have that beautiful song, "What's Wrong with Me?" and that incendiary dance number, "The Dance of Fury," with Ann Miller, Cyd Charisse and Ricardo Montalban.

Don't forget the Western OPERA -- "La Fanciulla del West" -- Girl of the Golden West, by Giacomo Puccini.

Enrico Caruso as Dick Johnson, a.k.a. Ramerrez, the bandit-hero of Girl of the Golden West

Edited once, last by Paula ().

• Hi

One of the most amusing or even outrageous musicals around the 1950s was Red Garters with Guy Mitchell and Rosemary Clooney.

It must count as a Western for the simple reason that it take place in a western town. It must count as a musical because both Guy Mitchell and Rosemary Clooney sing. It has a storyline, the scenary is just flats depicting a town with no backs.

A really strange film probably so bad it is good.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Here's another -- The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. ;) The film version stars Burt Reynolds and Dollie Parton.

Also, this was never made into a film that I know of, but 110 in the Shade is a terrific musical. It was based on a play by N. Richard Nash, The Rainmaker, which was turned into a 1956 film starring Burt Lancaster and Katharine Hepburn.

The story is about a unmarried woman who keeps house for her brothers and father in a small Western town plagued by drought during the Depression era. Her family worries about her unmarried state but nothing happens -- to Lizzie or anyone else -- until a charming drifter named Starbuck arrives in town claiming he can make it rain for $100.

Nash also wrote the book for the musical version, 110 in the Shade, with lyrics by Tom Jones, and music by Harvey Schmidt. Fans of Westerns should recognize the name of the performer who played Starbuck in the original Broadway production: Robert Horton, who had just spent the past five years playing Flint on the popular Western TV series Wagon Train. :)

• My two favorite musical westerns are Oklahoma and The Unsinkable Molly Brown.
    You've got two great booming male voices in Gordon McRae and Harve Presnell and two of the best women in musicals in Shirley Jones and Debbie Reynolds. You just can't go wrong with any of that.
    Also, what about Seven Brides For Seven Brothers? Howard Keel was up there with both McRae and Presnell with a fantastic voice and Jane Powell was a great musical actress.

You've got two great booming male voices in Gordon McRae and Harve Presnell and two of the best women in musicals in Shirley Jones and Debbie Reynolds. You just can't go wrong with any of that.
    Also, what about Seven Brides For Seven Brothers? Howard Keel was up there with both McRae and Presnell with a fantastic voice and Jane Powell was a great musical actress.

I haven't seen Seven Brides for Seven Brothers in years, like maybe 40 years or more. I loved it as a kid. Gotta go find it and watch it.

• "Calamity Jane" was a favorite of mine. In fact, "Secret Love" was always one of my favorite songs. Old Doris was hard to beat in any kind of musical.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I've really struggled with the whole 'singing cowboy' thing. Maybe it's because I didn't grow up with them and they didn't really show them over here in the UK.
    I've recently bought the monogram western DVD ses released through Warner archives and haven't managed to get passed the first two.
    I must revisit and see how I go.
    The one exception to the rule who I love is Ken Curtis, I know he was John Ford's Son in law but this takes nothing away from the fantastic songs in rio grande.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• I've really struggled with the whole 'singing cowboy' thing. Maybe it's because I didn't grow up with them and they didn't really show them over here in the UK.
    I've recently bought the monogram western DVD ses released through Warner archives and haven't managed to get passed the first two.
    I must revisit and see how I go.
    The one exception to the rule who I love is Ken Curtis, I know he was John Ford's Son in law but this takes nothing away from the fantastic songs in rio grande.

Pals of the Saddle- Ken Curtis

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

I haven't seen Seven Brides for Seven Brothers in years, like maybe 40 years or more. I loved it as a kid. Gotta go find it and watch it.

I will presently be profiling Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Oklahoma and The Unsinkable Molly Brown.
    and some of the others members have mentioned.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Pals of the Saddle- Ken Curtis

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

One of my favorites along with the other one he did in Germany, I think with the guy with the very deep voice.....they sang Don't Fence Me In. Posted these a while back and no one seemed too interested in them. I love them and play them often. I DO like to see him in video as Festus when I watch them. I believe he as in his early seventies when he did this. Amazing man was Ken Curtis! Thanks for posting. Keith Other one

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• One of my favorites along with the other one he did in Germany, I think with the guy with the very deep voice.....they sang Don't Fence Me In. Posted these a while back and no one seemed too interested in them. I love them and play them often. I DO like to see him in video as Festus when I watch them. I believe he as in his early seventies when he did this. Amazing man was Ken Curtis! Thanks for posting. Keith Other one

That's correct Keith,
    you posted it in Pals of the Saddle- Ken Curtis,
    but as you say creating any interest is another thing!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Here is the one with Freddy Quinn, think his name is.

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

I was wrong.....seems as if he was about sixty years old when he went to Germany. Boy that Quinn, really had a BASSO voice, LOL! Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE