General War Medals or Acknowledgements Pictures

There are 19 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,474 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Since there available but are not my Grandfathers awards--ill post em anyway. All of these are some of the Imperial German awards I collected:

The cross above is one of 2-3 I have but this one also has the For Bravery bar. These are Friedrich August Crosses 2nd class and are equal to the Prussian Iron Cross 2nd class.

The 2-place Medal bar has the 1914 Iron Cross 2nd class along with one of the three Hanseatic Crosses I have. In this case-its the rarest of the three--which is the Lubeck Cross-awarded to those who served who were from Lubeck. They only awarded about 5,000 of these. The other cross shown is nr 2 of the three Hansa Crosses and was awarded to those from Hamburg--and there were around 50,000 of those Hamburg Hanseatic Crosses awarded. The third and not pictured-is the one from Bremen--and about 10,000 or so of these were awarded. That one has the same colored ribbon but is with several red and white vertical stripes.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• These are from WWII:

Collar tab singles for:
    Sturmbrigade Langemarck and Nordland.
    The pair is German Army Bishops tabs that I no longer own due to thievery. These are some of the most rare of the rarest collar tabs they had since they had only a few who were Bishops. The rest were Chaplains with one for every German Division--Bishops were one for every Army Group.

• By demand--these were asked for posting here by a few. The following pics are some of my WWII award ceremony photos for the awarding sof various medals like: Silver Infantry Assault Badge, Silver Panzer Assault Badge, General Assault badge,Black and Silver Wound Badges, EKIs, EKIIs, Spanges, DKiG, Knights Cross, Tank Destruction Strips, War Merit Cross w/ Swords 2nd Class--etc.

From the same EKII award ceremony held somewhere in Russia--as most of mine are:

• Gebirgsjager EKII award Ceremony somewhere in Norway:

1st Panzer Regiment on the approaches of Leningrad -as part of Army Group North (GFM Wilhelm Rittter von Leeb:

Same ceremony as above:

• War Merit Crosses w/ Swords to Medics:

DRLs to some Brothers serving in a Flak unit in the Luftwaffe:

More WMCs or EKIIS to Medics and Landwehr personnel:

• From the same ceremony somewhere on the Eastern Front:

Cant remember if I posted this one here yet?

List of the recipients ranks, names and awards:

• DKiG to a Rittmeister in a Cavalry Regiment:

These next to are a DKiG to a Stuka Pilot killed shortly after he was promoted to Lieutenant: His DKiG was awarded while he was still a Sergeant:

Heavily decorated "Top" Sergeant who was in the 44th Infantry Division and this was taken as they were approaching Stalingrad:

• Silver Panzer Assault Badge as well as an EKII to men from the 1st Pz Rgmt in Budapest:

WMC w/ Swords 2nd Cl:

Silver PAB to a crewman serving in a Panzer MK-IV:

More WMC 2nds but to men in a Pioneer (Engineer) unit:

Silver and Black WBs to men in a Luftwaffe Flak unit:

• These two same ceremony and I THINK in France:

My "Willem DaFoe" photo. Willem just got his Silver Wound Badge and Silver Panzer Assault badge:

A Gebirgsjager getting his EKII by: Generalleutnant Hubert Lanz:

• Someone sent me this, so I looked it up.....the result is below this story. Sorry the pics didn't transfer, but the ones below did. Quite a story...........I never even had a clue! Pulled rank she did, LOL......would loved to have been there to see that! KEITH

A very special lady.
    Martha Raye - Who Knew?

It was well recognized that Martha Raye endured less comfort and more danger than any other Vietnam entertainer.

Don't let the sun go down without reading this about Martha Raye.

The most unforgivable oversight of TV is that her shows were not taped.

I was unaware of her credentials or where she is buried.

Somehow I just can't see Brittany Spears, Paris Hilton, or Jessica Simpson doing what this woman (and the other USO women, including Ann Margaret & Joey Heatherton) did for our troops in past wars.

Most of the old time entertainers were made of a lot sterner stuff than today's crop of activists bland whiners.

The following is from an Army Aviator who takes a trip down memory lane:

"It was just before Thanksgiving '67 and we were ferrying dead and wounded from a large GRF west of Pleiku. We had run out of body bags by noon, so the Hook (CH-47 CHINOOK) was pretty rough in the back.

All of a sudden, we heard a 'take-charge' woman's voice in the rear.

There was the singer and actress, Martha Raye, with a SF (Special Forces)

beret and jungle fatigues, with subdued markings, helping the wounded into

the Chinook, and carrying the dead aboard.

'Maggie' had been visiting her SF 'heroes' out 'west'.

We took off, short of fuel, and headed to the USAF hospital pad at Pleiku.

As we all started unloading our sad pax's, a 'Smart Mouth' USAF Captain said

to Martha.... "Ms Ray, with all these dead and wounded to process, there would

not be time for your show!"

To all of our surprise, she pulled on her right collar and said ......"Captain,

see this eagle? I am a full 'Bird' in the US Army Reserve, and on this is a 'Caduceus'

which means I am a Nurse, with a surgical specialty....now, take me to your wounded!"

He said, "Yes ma'am.... follow me."

Several times at the Army Field Hospital in Pleiku, she would 'cover' a surgical shift, giving a nurse a well-deserved break.

Martha is the only woman buried in the SF (Special Forces) cemetery at Ft Bragg.

<>

Hand Salute! A great lady..
    I did not know this about Martha Ray....

thought you might like to read it.

Unsung Heroes: Martha Raye

Posted by: Regina Tayman on January 22, 2012 in Supporters Leave a comment
    Unfortunately too many people have either never heard of Martha Raye or known about her incredible work with the USO and our troops for more decades that many of our readers have been alive.
    Martha Raye was born Margy Reed on August 27, 1916 in Butte Montana to Maybelle Hooper and Pete Reed; she had two siblings, Melodye and Bud Reed. Between 1935 and 1991she was married seven times. In July 1944, Martha gave birth to her only child, Melodye Raye Condos and in 1965 became the proud grandmother of Nicolas.
    Although rumors abound regarding her personal life, multiple marriages and divorces – this article is going to focus on her work with the USO, her beloved troops and her unending, unwavering support of our military.
    As a child of the 60’s, I knew Martha Raye as a comedian, actress and singer. She started her career on a Vaudeville stage at the age of three and went on to conquer every entertainment medium of her time – stage, screen, radio, television, records, night clubs and of course countless performances in the USO for her beloved Armed Forces.
    It wasn’t until I was emailed a story about Martha Raye did I learn the full extent of this incredible woman’s devotion to our troops. The story I was emailed about her turned out to be an “erumor” that has been circulating around the internet. However, what I learned about her during the course of my research shows that such rumors are not only unnecessary, but cannot compare to the reality what she truly accomplished in her lifetime.
    A quick summarization of the internet rumor circulating gives an account of Raye as a “full Bird” colonel who pulls rank on an Air Force Captain aboard an aircraft while in route to a USO show. As she boarded the back of the chopper, which was filled with wounded and body bags, the Captain made a snide remark about this not being the time for her services, she showed the Oak Leaf on her collar and the Caduceus (medical insignia) and demanded that he step aside and point her in the direction of the injured. As a surgical nurse and Colonel she had work to do. The internet rumor continues by telling how “Colonel Maggie” would frequently relieve nurses while at various sites, spanning three wars, so the nurses could get much needed rest.
    As are most rumors, the story is a compilation of truth and embellishment.
    Ms. Raye never became a nurse, surgical or otherwise. Her formal education ended with the 5th grade. She never actively served in any branch of the military or the reserves.
    She received some nurse’s aide training through a candy stripper program in the 1930’s, but never became either an LPN or RN. She did however learn a great deal about nursing care via on the job training [OJT] during air raids while entertaining troops in Africa, England and in Vietnam. In each of those areas, whenever an extra pair of hands were needed – she quickly, frequently and without hesitation lended hers. She helped out in X-Ray, Triage, Operating Rooms and many other areas as well. Where ever there were wounded warriors in need, Maggie was sure to be. Many soldiers simply assumed she was a “real nurse” and they had no reason to believe she was not a member of the military.
    So how did it come to be that so many believed that a “USO entertainer” was actually a surgical nurse and “full Bird” Colonel?
    Noonie Fotin, Raye’s longtime friend, confidant and author of her only authorized biography, “Memories of Maggie” happily set the record straight. According to Noonie, Raye was lovingly called “Colonel Maggie” but the rank of Lt. Colonel and membership of the Green Beret Special Forces Unit were both honorary. Martha Raye was also an honorary Colonel in the United States Marine Corps. Those “honorary” positions were not gifted lightly – but earned through her tireless work, respect and the love of those she dedicated her life to.
    The Department of Defense issues non-military identification cards to civilians who accompanied armed forces. I am uncertain if the cards today are different than those of Raye’s day, but back then anyway each card contained specific information about its holder, such as name, height, weight, eye color and blood type. Civilians were told to present this card in the event of capture. The cards also contained what was called a “Geneva Conventions category.” Volunteers such as Raye were listed as Category IV, equivalent to the ranks of Majors, Lieutenant Colonels and Colonels.
    Over time Maggie began wearing a uniform with her honorary rank on it. Fortin told TruthorFiction.com that as time progressed, so did the honorary rank she held. By the time Vietnam had ended she was a Lt. Col. for the Army and Colonel for the Marines.
    Fortin stated, “Maggie would frequently pull rank, pointing to the oak leaf or bird on her collar, her Green Beret as well as the nurse’s emblem.”
    On her uniform she had multiple ribbons and awards. Raye received numerous awards and commendations from the military in appreciation for her years of service. In 1993, President Bill Clinton awarded her with the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
    Considering how she was dressed along with her self-confidence and poise, it is not surprising that many would believe her to be a “full Bird Colonel” and not question her position or authority. It is also not surprising that so many stories about her would circulate on the internet – part truth and part embellishment. Her story needs no embellishment.
    Martha Raye died on the 19th of October, 1994 and was buried among the veterans she loved and cherished so much. She was buried at the Fort Bragg Cemetery in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Special request had been made for her to be buried there since she was not military. I think it appropriate to note she was buried with full military honors.
    Raye received little accolades from Hollywood even though she was a star on stage, radio, television and movies. She did however receive three stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Her greatest treasures included the medals, ribbons, awards and commendations she received as a result of her volunteer work with the military and veteran organizations. A complete list of her awards and more information about her entire life can be found at www.colonelmaggie.com .
    Below is partial list of the military honors, awards and citations she was given over her lifetime:
    Letter of Commendation – Major General Lewis W. Walt, USMC 12/16/65; Citation of Merit – National Ladies Auxiliary of the Jewish War Veterans 08/24/66; Dept. of Army, Certificate of Appreciation for Patriotic Civilian Service 11/09/66; National Service Medal – Freedom Foundation, The Dickey Chappelle Award – Marine Corps League and Woman of the Year Award – Veterans of Foreign Wars – all in 1967; Dept. of Defense, MAC-V – Certificate of Appreciation, General William Westmoreland 01/28/67; Woman of the Year – USO 05/76; Life Membership–147th Fighter Group, Texas Air National Guard 02/12/68; Special Award for Gallantry – USO, Board of Governor’s 03/68; Citation for Dedicated Service – The American Legion 03/26/68; Honorary Flight Nurse, United States Air Force–Lieutenant General K.E. Pletcher, Surgeon General 1969; Dept. of Army, Outstanding Civilian Service Award – General Creighton Abrams 10/24/68–01/07/69; First Annual Gold Service Award – Servicemen’s Emergency Recreational Volunteer Events, Inc. 02/23/69; Honorary Woman in the Air Force–Maguire Air Force Base, New Jersey 06/69; Honorary Non-Commissioned Officer Association – NCO Association 03/25/71; Medal of Merit–Veterans of Foreign Wars 08/18/80; Freedom Award – American Ex-Prisoners of War 1984; Dept. of Defense, Distinguished Public Service – Sec. of Defense Casper Weinberger 04/86; Distinguished Service Award – USO Board of Governor’s 02/23/87; Living Legacy Award – Women’s International Center 1988; Medal of Honor – NY State Veteran’s Service Agency, Nassau County 08/24/91 and her beloved Presidential Medal of Freedom – President Bill Clinton 11/02/93.
    Other awards she was given include:
    Entertainer of the Year – NCO Association; The Molly Pitcher Award; The Four Chaplain’s Award; Life Membership – Tri-county Council Vietnam Era Veterans, Albany, New York; Honorary member of AD-Eighty-seven to Tenth ARVN Division; Honorary Lieutenant Colonel – U.S. Army Special Forces (Green Berets); and Honorary Colonel – U.S. Marine Corps.
    Thank you Colonel Maggie, for all you did in your lifetime to support and serve our troops, veterans and men and women on front lines through three wars. You are a true inspiration to us all.

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

Edited once, last by Hawkswill: add picture ().