Howdy, pardners

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,249 times. The latest Post () was by Sanjuro.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• New guy here. I found the forum while searching the internet for information on items for a Duke western outfit. I joined SASS about 4 years ago but I've not had a chance to participate yet and it's time that I do. By some freak of good luck and timing, I actually have a Duke alias in SASS, "Marshal Rooster Cogburn". With an alias like this, it is imperative that I have the correct trappings.

This forum has already helped me towards getting the right look; I just ordered a Chisum vest based on a good write up here. Thanks.

• Welcome aboard! Glad you found us, so just jump on in.

New guy here. I found the forum while searching the internet for information on items for a Duke western outfit. I joined SASS about 4 years ago but I've not had a chance to participate yet and it's time that I do. By some freak of good luck and timing, I actually have a Duke alias in SASS, "Marshal Rooster Cogburn". With an alias like this, it is imperative that I have the correct trappings.

This forum has already helped me towards getting the right look; I just ordered a Chisum vest based on a good write up here. Thanks.

• Pleased to meet you, Sanjuro. I'm guessing that you're a Kurowsawa and Mifune fan. What do you think about the "westernization" of the samurai films?

We deal in lead, friend.

• Pleased to meet you, Sanjuro. I'm guessing that you're a Kurowsawa and Mifune fan. What do you think about the "westernization" of the samurai films?

We deal in lead, friend.

I'm a fan of both. Watching the western remakes right before or after the original Kurosawa versions makes for some great comparisons. Not only did they do well with the story line but also with the character portrayals. I have yet to see the remake of Rashomon, though, called 'The Outrage' with Paul Newman. 'The Magnificent Seven' and 'A Fistfull of Dollars' were excellent films. Kurosawa sued Sergio Leone because his film wasn't authorized, and received royalties from it.

Of course the ultimate westernization of a samurai film was 'Red Sun' with Charles Bronson and Mifune.

One thing that virtually all westerns and samurai films have in common is that the are in some degree morality plays.

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks.