3:10 to Yuma (2007)

There are 113 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 46,247 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Sep 30 2006, 02:49 PM
    I agree with Erthomp and Jay, but only 99% this time. Reason being is, that I have seen at least one remake--that was better than the original. That movie is: The Four Feathers. Off-hand I can't think of any othre remakes that are better than the originals. The 1976(?) version of King Kong was good, but I still like the 1933 version much better.

Can you imagine seeing what a remake of: The Great Escape would look like? :fear: I shudder the thought.

[snapback]35095[/snapback]

Gees Ringo, don't even mention remaking that great movie.

But, I am intrigued by this remake. I liked Christian Bale as the "new" Batman. and I have enjoyed Crowe in Galdiator, Master and Commander, and Cinderella Man.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• That looks like it's gone to be pretty darn good. I'm glad that they still find the time to put out westerns now and then for us fans. Never enough, mind you, but at least they try.:wink_smile:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• This might be a pretty good movie from what I see in the trailer. You know, I need to see the original movie back when. I just might need to purchase this movie and see it before the fall.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• They have been playing that movie recently. Check Encore Westerns channel, I just saw it not too long ago. A rental place might have it for a dollar.

• Doesn't look bad. Could this be the year of the Westerns!!!
    If one strikes Gold at the Box Office there will be a rush to make them.
    Mike

Interesting thought, you're right, movie popularity sort of runs in cycles. If a few westerns take off, watch out, it could be the 50's all over again.:hyper:

Chester :newyear:

• Go ask a young person, who's John Wayne and they shrug their shoulders as if you were wondering about someone that lived close by. They're doing more press on a concert for "Diana" birthday than they did for Duke's 100th.

• Russell Crowe is the best actor working today and my favorite. I can't wait for this to open.

First screening report 3:10 TO YUMA

www.aintitcool.com/node/33066

Merrick here...

Here's an early look at James Mangold's new film - the remake of 3:10 TO YUMA.

Mangold directed COP LAND (which I enjoyed quite a bit), IDENTITY (which I did not enjoy quite a bit), and WALK THE LINE - a film I loved.

I've been eager as hell to see how 3:10 shakes out. If you missed the recently released trailer, CATCH IT HERE. Russell Crow and Christian Bale in the same film together is...like...too kick ass to fathom.

Here's THEIRONGIANT's review. Please keep in mind the film won't be released until October 5 - which means many elements may be tweaked, adjusted, and whatnot by the time it rides into town.

I caught an early screening of the 3:10 to Yuma remake last night in Woodland Hills. I've never seen the original, so I apologize if I give this movie props for things it just copied from the original (which I really want to see now).

The screening organizers claimed we were the first public audience to see the film and that this cut was still unfinished, but the latter I found hard to believe. The picture looked polished, timed, and final, and outside of Avid-y opening titles and a lack of closing credits, the only things that screamed out "rough cut" to me were the sound mix and temp music. I'm curious as to whether or not picture is locked, even if this movie doesn't come out until October, because it looks pretty spotless.

I love westerns, I really do. It's a genre of film that I don't always actively seek out, but am always game for when the opportunity arises. After seeing the trailer and cast for this flick, I was really excited. Batman and Gladiator facing off? I'm there. Throw in one seriously badass Ben Foster and Peter Fonda and I really have no excuse not to go. With that said, 3:10 to Yuma well-exceeded my expectations.

The performances are phenomenal. Crowe plays Ben Wade with such intensity and charm, he can just as quickly kill with his sidearm or his smile. He's an enigma of a character for the other players -- unpredictable and truly dangerous, God-fearing but fearless, seems to tell the truth through his lies (or makes you believe he might be lying or bluffing when he's telling the truth), and has a strong sense of right and wrong that isn't exactly in line with the law or the encroaching railroad builders. He doesn't give up his thieving ways, but also doesn't concern himself with the risk of capture and imprisonment. Crowe gives such a nuanced, collected performance that it's hard to imagine anyone else in the role. He well-embodies the idea of being both equally good and bad.

Bale, on the other hand, gets to play a character on the other side of the spectrum from Bruce Wayne/Batman. Bale's character Dan is a frustrated rancher, drawn into the "prisoner transfer" posse by a casual yet frightening encounter with Wade early in the film. Bale plays down his usual leading man intensity and gives a realistic yet heroic performance that is both determined and sad. Even though Bale's character isn't physically capable, he is the only true foil to Crowe's Wade, someone who's morality and devotion to his land and his family inspires Wade to befriend him, or at least try to. A disbelieving, untrusting character, Dan is a man who, because of years of being ridiculed and dismissed, is finally finding an opportunity to show his true colors.

An evil Ben Foster and Peter Fonda round out the cast, both turning in solid, albeit supporting roles. Ben Foster is viscious and determined, playing Wade's right hand man. He reminded me a lot of Michael Biehn's character in Tombstone (a rival just as good, perhaps even better than his leader?). Fonda plays a bounty hunter tasked with bringing Wade in. Gretchen Mol has a small role in the first half of the film which she handles well enough without pulling attention from the lead characters, and Logan Lerman plays Bale's son, William. He has an excellent subplot that, while conventional, is so well-executed I found myself intrigued to see the outcome regardless.

The cinematography is familiar for a western and isn't intrusive. There are no trick shots, and there is no distracting shooting style. There are some great tracking shots following horses, but otherwise the movie is very simply captured. Music, again, was temp, but worked well with the tone (I think they used some Traffic in there). Sparse and quiet. The editing is spot on, which is another reason why I want to believe picture is locked. Pacing is even, action is well cut, and I really don't see any reason for Mangold to continue working on this cut.

The performances are most likely what 3:10 to Yuma will get the most praise for. Still trying to place it in my annual top 10, and may wait until the movie hits theaters so I can see it again in its final form and position it then, but I'm pretty sure it's top 5 material. Mangold continues to surprise me with his success working with actors (I can't believe this is the same guy that gave us Identity -- UGH).

• A remake of a 50 year old movie... looks like they kept the plot somewhat the same but had to add things so it would be interesting... bet I still like the original with Henry Ford once I see the remake. Why can't writers come up with something original?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050086/

I am looking forward to this movie as well and the trailer looks good. I like Christian Bale and it should be fun to see "The Galdiator" and the new and improved "Batman" square off.

Also, I might be getting things confused DS but I think you meant Glenn Ford, not Henry??

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• From YouTube:

[youtube]JxjrbfMGDwA[/youtube]

Trailer for James Mangold's remake of the 1957 Western of the same name, starring Russell Crowe and Christian Bale.

Synopsis: "In Arizona in the late 1800's, infamous outlaw Ben Wade (Russell Crowe) and his vicious gang of thieves and murderers have plagued the Southern Railroad. When Wade is captured, Civil War veteran Dan Evans (Christian Bale), struggling to survive on his drought-plagued ranch, volunteers to deliver him alive to the "3:10 to Yuma", a train that will take the killer to trial. On the trail, Evans and Wade, each from very different worlds, begin to earn each other's respect. But with Wade's outfit on their trail -- and dangers at every turn -- the mission soon becomes a violent, impossible journey toward each man's destiny."

• ... bet I still like the original with Henry Ford once I see the remake.

Also, I might be getting things confused DS but I think you meant Glenn Ford, not Henry??

I knew Henry did a lot to invent the assembly line, didn't know he was into acting also.

DS, you know we're just funning ya,:hyper:

C :newyear: & t M. :angel1:

• I knew Henry did a lot to invent the assembly line, didn't know he was into acting also.

DS, you know were just funning ya,:hyper:

C :newyear: & t M. :angel1:

Don't worry my brain is fried these days... so many meds and so little time.

• the original's a great film. only hope this one is well made. peter fonda was on a local radio show pluging the film. he sounds like he took way too many drugs in the 60's:stunned:

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''