3:10 to Yuma (2007)

There are 113 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 46,798 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Well, according to IMdB, this is one of the top 250 movies of all time!!!! What utter nonsense, IMdB has zero credibility nowadays, half the movies on that list don't deserve to be anywhere near any kind of real "greatest film" list.

Bale is fine in the Heflin role, but the film is ruined by an over-the-top performance from Crowe in the role that was magnificently underplayed by Ford. What was originally a suave, cool character has now become a psycho. Oh, well. I guess we should have expected it. De Niro did the same thing to the Robert Mitchum role in the remake of Cape Fear. Here it's not horrible, but it's nowhere near as good as the original which was a great example of intelligent character development.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• If you didn't like the remake don't watch the original because it is very slow moving with alo of talking as some others here have already stated. The story lines are very similar but less action. You will probably not like that one as well.

I hope you're not too disappointed that you were wrong: I liked the old version quite a bit. Same storyline yes, but so much clearer, including the persons' motives for their actions. More time given to absorb things and enjoy pictures instead of rushing with action. Better acting and much more interesting characters. Better photography. Delightful music. About the happy ending I'm not sure - I didn't expect it, when everything else had been so similar storywise. I suppose it was very unrealistic, but then again who doesn't hope for a happy end?

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Great Western it has clocked up nearly $60 million so far so it is above its production cost and should break even at some point and maybe make a profit.

Dont recall the original so cant compare films.

Mike

• I think we posted in the "Last Western You Watched" thread about this movie, with the intent of posting a little more detail here, regarding our thoughts on the film, and then got distracted. :ohmy:

We did enjoy the movie, although the last scene, with seemingly thousands of bullets flying and anyone surviving, a little implausible. A very interesting twist at the end, which we won't state here, for the benefit of those who have not yet seen the film.

We hope it was well enough received that Hollywood might put out more westerns.

Chester :newyear:

• I missed my chance for the big screen myself. It didn't come to my home town. I could have traveled 30 miles (one way) to see it, but really didn't have the time to go. I guess I'll wait to see it on DVD in January. Unless it makes an appearance in my home town, which I doubt due to the Christmas season of movies.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I went to it 2 times for Kevin and Hondo. I liked it the second time around alot more then the first time.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I hope you're not too disappointed that you were wrong: I liked the old version quite a bit. Same storyline yes, but so much clearer, including the persons' motives for their actions. More time given to absorb things and enjoy pictures instead of rushing with action. Better acting and much more interesting characters. Better photography. Delightful music. About the happy ending I'm not sure - I didn't expect it, when everything else had been so similar storywise. I suppose it was very unrealistic, but then again who doesn't hope for a happy end?

[quote=ejgreen77, October 16th, 2007 05:07 PM]Bale is fine in the Heflin role, but the film is ruined by an over-the-top performance from Crowe in the role that was magnificently underplayed by Ford. What was originally a suave, cool character has now become a psycho. Oh, well. I guess we should have expected it. De Niro did the same thing to the Robert Mitchum role in the remake of Cape Fear. Here it's not horrible, but it's nowhere near as good as the original which was a great example of intelligent character development.[/quote]
    We just watched the original, 1957 version of 3:10 to Yuma, and while we enjoyed the remake, we really feel that the original was better in many ways. etsija and ejgreen77 both make very good points regarding the character development and interestingly, the same "twist" at the end, but with a much more satisfying ending, not just because it was "happy" but in many ways it was actually more believable.

And Dan's quote, near the end of the movie, clearly defines his motivation and honor -

Honest to God, if I didn't have to do it, I wouldn't, but I heard Alex scream. The town drunk gave his life because he believed that people should be able to live in decency and peace together. Do you think I can do less?

And while the bad guy was despicable, at least he didn't come across as a psycho.
    We highly recommend seeing the original if you can find it.
    Chester :newyear:

• I read somewhere recently (might have been on "The Digital Bits" website) that the remake's DVD will be released soon. I'll wait for that.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• The origianl was good and this one will be good. I've never seen a western that was "really bad".

• I've never seen a western that was "really bad".

I'm not sure that I totally agree with that remark. Westerns, per se, have always been my favorite genre but some of the satires that poke fun at the genre were real dogs, IMO.

One thing that I definitely don't agree with is the opinion of professional movie critics (a class of people I don't much care for) that "The Wild Bunch" was the greatest western ever made. I can name dozens of westerns I liked better than that movie.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I believe that the movie will be released on the 18th of January.

I am surprised that it isn't being released for the Christmas shopping rush. I already got my money set to buy it, though. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to get my own copy of it. :hyper:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I've never seen a western that was "really bad".

How about The Outlaw? I couldn't even get through that one. :vomit:

But, I am like you, K. D. Wilson, in that I love the western genre. Can't get enough of them. But, like any other genre, there will be a stinker or two made. :yeaahh:

And no, may2, I never have seen Heaven's Gate either. But now I know not to waste my time if I do have the chance. Thanks!

But I will have to look up the original 3:10 to Yuma. Seems like enough people enjoyed it to have me give it a shot.

Mark

• I was wrong guys, it will be released on the 8th of January. Sorry, I knew it had a "8" in the date though.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I wasn't fortunate enough to see this one at the theater, but having just checked out the trailer again, I can't wait til January 8!!!!!!!:hyper:

Stay thirsty my friends.

• I wasn't fortunate enough to see this one at the theater, but having just checked out the trailer again, I can't wait til January 8!!!!!!!:hyper:

Ditto's to what gt12pak said. I look forward to seeing this movie come out January 8.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• After seeing that some of the members enjoyed the original, I requested it for Christmas. It turns out to be a very good movie. I thought the less action - more dialogue worked well in this version. The cinematography was excellent, a good looking black and white film.

It turns out that it has a tie-in with a Duke movie. The actor that plays Glen Ford's second-in-command in 3:10 To Yuma is the same actor who played Jesse Evans in Chisum. :teeth_smile:

If you havn't seen this film, I would recommend it. It kept my attention the whole way through.

Mark