Bad Men of Missouri (1941)

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 25,982 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• BAD MEN OF MISSOURI

DIRECTED BY RAY ENRIGHT
    PRODUCED BY HARLAN THOMPSON/ JACK L. WARNER
    WARNER BROS- FIRST NATIONAL PICTURE

Plot Summary
    The Younger brothers, Cole (Dennis Morgan), Bob (Wayne Morris) and Jim (Arthur Kennedy),
    return to Missouri after the Civil War with intent to avenge the misdeeds of William Merrick (Victor Jory),
    a crooked banker who has been buying up warrants on back-taxes and dispossessing the farmers.
    Henry Younger (Russell Simpson), their father, has been killed by a Merrick henchman and, then,
    Cole is framed on a murder rap.
    The brothers escape and then begin a series of bank and train robberies, primarily stealing
    from Merrick and turning the loot over to the farmers.
    Jim, in love with Mary Hathaway (Jane Wyman),
    is lured into Harrisonville and jailed. Cole and Bob ride to rescue him.
    Written by Les Adams

Information from IMDb

Full Cast
    Dennis Morgan ... Cole Younger
    Jane Wyman ... Mary Hathaway
    Wayne Morris ... Bob Younger
    Arthur Kennedy ... Jim Younger
    Victor Jory ... William Merrick
    Alan Baxter ... Jesse James
    Walter Catlett ... Mr. Pettibone
    Howard Da Silva ... Greg Bilson (as Howard da Silva)
    Faye Emerson ... Martha Adams
    Russell Simpson ... Henry 'Hank' Younger
    Virginia Brissac ... Mrs. Hathaway
    Erville Alderson ... Mr. Adams
    Hugh Sothern ... Fred Robinson
    Sam McDaniel ... Wash - Youngers' Handyman
    Dorothy Vaughan ... Mrs. Dalton
    William Gould ... Sheriff Brennan
    Robert Winkler ... Willie Younger as a Young Boy
    Ann E. Todd ... Amy Younger as a Young Girl (as Ann Todd)
    Roscoe Ates ... Lafe
    Eddie Acuff ... Peg Leg (uncredited)
    Arthur Aylesworth ... Dr. Taylor (uncredited)
    Leah Baird ... Ms. Brooks (uncredited)
    Trevor Bardette ... Bandaged Soldier (uncredited)
    John Beck ... Preacher (uncredited)
    Henry Blair ... Tod Dalton as a Young Boy (uncredited)
    Wade Boteler ... Sedalia Sheriff (uncredited)
    Sonny Bupp ... Young Grat (uncredited)
    Jack Carr ... Carpetbagger #1 in Montage (uncredited)
    Glen Cavender ... Tod (uncredited)
    Spencer Charters ... Clem (uncredited)
    Ben Corbett ... Ambush Henchman (uncredited)
    Dix Davis ... Young Bob (uncredited)
    Joel Friedkin ... Sedalia Postmaster (uncredited)
    Eddie Graham ... Man in Russellville Bank (uncredited)
    Creighton Hale ... Bank Representative (uncredited)
    Neal Hart ... Townsman with Sedalia Sheriff (uncredited)
    Oscar 'Dutch' Hendrian ... Carpetbagger #4 in Montage (uncredited)
    Herbert Heywood ... Willard (uncredited)
    Stuart Holmes ... Train Conductor (uncredited)
    Milton Kibbee ... Pop (uncredited)
    Vera Lewis ... Mrs. Jordan (uncredited)
    Arthur Loft ... Marshal Capturing Youngers (uncredited)
    Hank Mann ... Man Robbed on Trail (uncredited)
    Frank Mayo ... Henchman (uncredited)
    Tom McGuire ... Tax-Paying Rancher (uncredited)
    Art Miles ... Carpetbagger #3 in Montage (uncredited)
    Frank Mills ... Barfly (uncredited)
    Howard M. Mitchell ... Jim (uncredited)
    Jack Mower ... Ambush Henchman (uncredited)
    Bud Osborne ... Buck (uncredited)
    Paul Panzer ... Mr. Peters (uncredited)
    Duncan Renaldo ... Dan (uncredited)
    Edwin Stanley ... Prison Doctor (uncredited)
    Tom Tyler ... Deputy Sheriff Dave (uncredited)
    Eddy Waller ... Wagon Train Leader (uncredited)
    Frank Wilcox ... Funeral Minister (uncredited)
    Tom Wilson ... Carpetbagger #2 in Montage (uncredited)
    Jack Wise ... Tax Collector (uncredited)

Original Music
    Howard Jackson

Cinematography
    Arthur L. Todd

Trivia
    Humphrey Bogart rejected a role in this film, with the words "Are you kidding?"

Three cast members in studio records/casting call lists did not appear
    or were not identifiable in the movie.
    These were (with their character names):
    Charles Middleton (Porterville Sheriff), Bob Perry (Deputy) and Ray Teal (Deputy).

Goofs
    Unknown

Filming Locations
    Iverson Ranch - 1 Iverson Lane, Chatsworth, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Corriganville, Ray Corrigan Ranch, Simi Valley, California, USA
    Tuolumne County, California, USA
    Sonora, California, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Bad Men of Missouri was a 1941 western, directed by Ray Enright
    and starring Dennis Morgan Jane Wyman, Wayne Morris,
    Arthur Kennedy Victor Jory and Alan Baxter

User Review

Bad Men of Missouri
    12 December 2006 | by mhrabovsky1-1 (michigan)
    Don't know exactly why but this is one of my favorite all time westerns. Remember seeing it on TV many years ago but I don't think it has been on TV in a long, long time. Turner Classic Movies has the film in it's vault. Story concerns the Younger brothers returning from the civil war to their small Missouri town only to find out the carpetbaggers have taken over and are running out all the peaceable, old folks, taking over their farms and property with delinquent tax deeds. The people cannot pay their tax bills because confederate money is considered worthless. Victor Jory, one of the best villains ever in the movies, plays a ruthless carpetbagger who shows no signs of pity on the poor, hapless farmers. Throw in the evil, sinister, looking Howard DaSilva as a crooked sheriff and you've got a mean mix of villains. The Younger brothers fight back after the murder of their father by Jory and his cutthroats.....they decide to take justice into their own hands and start robbing banks...in turn they give the loot back to the farmers and downtrodden to pay off their tax bills. Sort of like a Robin Hood of the west. A very young Jane Wyman as a love interest of Arthur Kennedy, one of the Younger brothers. Check out the hapless, bumbling Walter Catlett as a goofy middle man transporting Jory's money to a bank only to have the Younger brothers take it away from him. In the end the Younger brothers are all wounded from gunfights and lay in hospital beds while a movement is started by the Missouri downtrodden to get them pardons from the governor. Pretty good western for it's time.....only problem is the film is fairly short...only about an hour and fifteen minutes long....could have been a little longer for my tastes.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Could've swore I posted a thread about this last night, but I don't see it anywhere.

Anyway, wanted to let you all know that on April 8th, at 9:45am, TCM will be showing Bad Men Of Missouri. It's about the Younger brothers, Cole, Bob, and Jim and how they turned to a life of crime. More fictional than fact, but entertaining and a good cast. Dennis Morgan as Cole, Wayne Morris as Bob, and Arthur Kennedy as Jim. Also, Victor Jory and Howard DeSilva as the villains and Alan Baxter as Jesse James.

This is one movie they don't show very often and I set a reminder email from TCM when the showing gets near. I hope to record it on my dvr and later put it on a dvd.

• Could've swore I posted a thread about this last night, but I don't see it anywhere.

Anyway, wanted to let you all know that on April 8th, at 9:45am, TCM will be showing Bad Men Of Missouri. It's about the Younger brothers, Cole, Bob, and Jim and how they turned to a life of crime. More fictional than fact, but entertaining and a good cast. Dennis Morgan as Cole, Wayne Morris as Bob, and Arthur Kennedy as Jim. Also, Victor Jory and Howard DeSilva as the villains and Alan Baxter as Jesse James.

This is one movie they don't show very often and I set a reminder email from TCM when the showing gets near. I hope to record it on my dvr and later put it on a dvd.

WaynamoJim,

Before saving a few photos here.

If our leader opens the Topic Chapter Western I put more photos

Edited once, last by lasbugas ().

• That last photo that takes place on the train is when the Youngers meet Jesse James. He's the one dressed in black. Seems he had plans to rob the train also, but the Youngers beat him to it. So, what do they do? They join up together.

Jim, we didn't have this one on our list,
    but as you have highlighted it and there is certainly interest in the movie,
    with your blessing, I have reviewed it and created this new stand alone thread

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England