Question? What exactly is a DvD_R?

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,970 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Is it just like regular DvDs?

Reason im asking is that I found someone selling complete TV series like:

Twelve O'Clock High for $17
    bAT mASTERSON $16
    Land of the Giants $16 all 51 episodes.
    Johnny Ringo $19
    The Rebel $12.99
    BJ and the BEar $14
    Law of the Plainsman w/ Michael Ansara $16
    Tombstone Territory 92 episodes $20
    Black Saddle w/ 44 episodes for $17.
    Rawhide w/ 217 eps for $35.

Im puzzled about Rawhide though, the seller claims its public domain--and I KNOW it isnt.

Anyway, im interested to know if the DvD_R is just like a regular DvD and can be played on my old player which is about 7 years old now.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• It would play on your player i'm sure Ringo, it basically means the dvd's are copied though and not originals. Still very good for those prices though. Here's a full definition http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DVD_R.html

Thank you Irish and as well as for the link. Looks like ill be getting several TV series soon.:-)) Ive been wanting to see Twelve O'Clock High forever. Ive seen maybe 2-3 episodes one had William Shatner as a Bomber Pilot.

• A DVD-R is burned, not pressed.

You can tell when it's a DVD-R because it will be purplish in color. A pressed DVD is silver.

If you make a DVD recording at home, that's a DVD-R. They can fail, though companies like Warner Bros. that release their old movies on DVD-R have developed proprietary software that makes their DVD-Rs far more reliable than the DVD-R you burn at home.

Any DVD or Blu-ray player these days should have no problems playing a DVD-R, especially since so many companies now burn their discs instead of pressing them. (Warner Archives, Sony Classics, Fox Cinema Archives, VCI, etc. etc.)

All those TV shows you listed are bootlegs. Some guy is sitting at home making DVD-R copies of shows he either recorded off TV, or perhaps has made from 16mm copies he collected. He's committing a crime by selling these programs.

That said, I will admit to buying bootlegs when I really want to see something and it's not available any other way. If it becomes available from the official source, I will then buy it because it's going to look better than the bootleg and because I want to make up for the loss they suffered when I bought the bootleg.

From the videohelp.com forum:

"Pressed" discs are stamped out in a plastics-molding stamper. The data patterns, represented as a series of pits and lands (a "land", BTW, is simply the absence of a pit in a particular spot), is permanently molded into the plastic during the stamping process. Basically, its the same process that was used to make vinyl records (and CD's, for that matter), just ramped up a few orders of magnitude in precision. After the plastic has been stamped, it then gets coated (via vacuum deposition, if I recall correctly) with a few-atoms-thick layer of reflective metal, and another layer of plastic is bonded onto the top. During playback, the laser's reflection angle is subtly altered depending on whether there's a pit or a land in front of the beam, which causes the reflection to hit or miss the detector. These hits and misses become a binary data pattern.

"Burned" discs, on the other hand, do not have the data permanently embossed into the plastic. They are produced similarly to a pressed disc to start with, in that they are molded in a plastics stamper, but instead of a pattern of pits and lands representing data, a pattern called the "pregroove" is stamped into the plastic. The pregroove's primary function is to give the write laser something to track as it writes the spiral data pattern from the inside out. In between the bottom layer of plastic and the reflective metal layer, there is a layer of photochemical dye which responds to a particular frequency and power of laser light. During the write process, the drive actually does "burn" the dye, causing it to become opaque in spots where the laser hits it. This pattern of light and dark spots then mimics the pits and lands of a pressed disc during playback, by blocking and unblocking the laser reflection. (The detector doesn't know if the beam isn't returning due to a dark spot or an altered reflection angle, all it knows is it doesn't see the return beam.)

• Thank you Paula. As yet ive never bought any homemade stuff. I had a guy come up to me onetime a few months ago selling DvD-as I was leaving a business where I had to pay a bill. I told him to get the hell away from me with his contraband. Anyway, he had a box full and they all were not studio made. Recently here in Corpus--the Feds busted I think 15 people for manufacturing and selling bootleg stuff. Many of these sellers were selling at weekend flea Markets. I know a person who only buys that kind of stuff-and watched one she played on her DvD player and I thought the picture was awful--had the blurry look like VHS tapes get when you keep making a copy off of a copy off of a copy--kinda thing.

Even though I dont have a lot of money--I always buy studio released stuff. The main thing that got me interested in this seller on Ioffer--seller is mosses001

I already knew that Rawhide for instance, was not public domain--and figured this guy was a punk. He has some kind of a link or a disclaimer on his o\page that sites laws on what is public domain--but if he knows all that stuff? then im more than sure he knows that Hogans Heroes, Rawhide and Land of the Giants--are not public domain. He claims that everything he sells that to the best of his knowledge--is legit to make and sell copies of. The only show I really want that he is selling--is Twelve O'Clock High. Last I heard-that series is public domain--but im hoping not--as I would rather have a studio released version instead of something copied off TV or by some other means.

For Land of the Giants--Time Life video I think it was? had released it on some special thing they had going on a few years ago--I remember seeing the ads on TV. Trouble is--is they were charging an arm, a leg and your first born--for the series.
    Would you have some site I can go on that lists what tv series is public domain? If Twelve O'Clock High isnt public domain? then I aint ordering it from mossers001 In Fact, I might even turn him in to the FBI.

• WOW, Paula! You write about DVDs and their processes as I do about Medicine, LOL. However, I DID understand MOST of what you said, but which is better? Man, what a process.

I truly do NOT like DVDs at all.....one scratch by whatever, and you are shot down. Cassettes were more to my liking. I have some that are over 30 years old and still working well. VHS to me is better than DVDs. I can fix them if there is a problem..........there is no fixing DVDs! But, most folks prefer them, and that is why I am stuck with them, HAH!

Thanks again for the detailed explanation. Carl asked me, but..........I would have had to look it up on a few sites and then tell him with only hearsay knowledge. Glad we have someone like you on here who knows their stuff. Now, is you should need any medical knowledge.............LOL. KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• I don't think you should worry too much with old shows like Rawhide etc Ringo as even if they aren't public domain now I very much doubt the studio that owns the rights would put any effort into preventing it as it's not worth much money to them now as I imagine interest in them would be limited. You never really know what might be public domain, I was surprised that a few of Duke's pictures such as Angel and the Badman and McLintock are now in the public domain as is the much loved It's a Wonderful Life. Quite a few tv shows have entered the public domain aswell, like The Dick Van Dyke show and The Beverly Hillbillies. The most famous Western show in public domain is probably Bonanza

• Here is a list of some TV shows that are in the public domain. Looks like 31 episodes of Bonanza are now out of copyright.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What…_are_in_the_public_domain

20th Century-Fox owns Twelve O'Clock High and I'd say the possibility of their releasing that on DVD is close to zero. They also have locked up on their dusty shelves the TV western series I want the most, The Monroes. (It was the only TV series in which Ben Johnson had a regular role.)

• I don't think you should worry too much with old shows like Rawhide etc Ringo as even if they aren't public domain now I very much doubt the studio that owns the rights would put any effort into preventing it as it's not worth much money to them now as I imagine interest in them would be limited. You never really know what might be public domain, I was surprised that a few of Duke's pictures such as Angel and the Badman and McLintock are now in the public domain as is the much loved It's a Wonderful Life. Quite a few tv shows have entered the public domain as well, like The Dick Van Dyke show and The Beverly Hillbillies. The most famous Western show in public domain is probably Bonanza

Thanks Irish, but what I hate about PD is that the cheapo companies dont restore the episodes or movies--like Alpha Video. Alpha is the worst ive ever seen and I recently came across another "DvD Puppy Mill" whose name I cant remember? but I THINK I still have the DvDs they made. It was the ones who released the: Whispering Smith TV series w/ Audie Murphy. Some episodes are watchable--many are not due to noise-low volume jumping -snow-etc. As for McLintock--the version I now have was put out by Wayne Enterprises? or Batjac? but I havent watched it yet to see how the quality is--but I suspect it will be better than any other company releasing them for sale.

I was wondering why some companies were putting out only a few episodes of some series like Bonanza? I guess the rest of the episodes just have not become PD yet? which is good as ill buy those if the rightful studios releases them. I THINK I even saw somewhere where COMBAT was public domain and I know that show aint. I have the box set of the entire series-like I do with Hogans Heroes.

On Rawhide, CBS issued those for sale on DvD. I saw the entire first season for sale at the: Cracker Barrel Restaurant (a favorite of mine to eat at) for $20 bucks--which is where I bought season 1 of Have Gun Will Travel also for $20--and also: The Adventures of Robin Hood entire series for $20. I think my next visit ill get Rawhide.

The series I want the most though-is Twelve O'Clock High. I just hope the quality is decent enough.

• Hi Paula, thank you for this as well. I wonder why Fox wouldnt want to issue stuff they own? I mean, I haunt several sites and the show is popular with the folks there-as I suspect most anywhere--so I can see them making money on them--in the least as a Made on Demand title--like: The Gallant Men is.

• I also remember someone about 5 years ago-bought me a DvD set from someplace here in town that had I think 20 or so episodes of: The Andy Griffith Show on it--and they were on DvDs made by a place like Alpha Video. I remembered that all their box covers were mostly white-then a cheapo photo of the cast or something from the TV show they were releasing. I tried some of them out--and the Quality was atrocious at best. I gave them to my local branch of the public library--along with a few other DvDs I no longer wanted.

Anyway, I have I think the first 4-5 seasons of Andy Griffith--but those are from the studio that originally aired them (CBS?) I cant remember? But some of the episodes on those seasons--were in that 20 or so episode set that I gave away.

• I have two dvd recorders, both Panasonic and both record on DVD-R discs. Other brands used DVD+R and others used all formats. Mine also use DVD-RAM and those are rewritable discs, which means I can record on them, then erase it and use it again. I've had my machines for close to 10 yrs now and everything I've recorded has been on the DVD-R. All my recordings are for my own personal use. Except for a few. For instance, recently, I recorded Son Of The Morning Star. One for my own collection, and one for my son who's a huge Custer nut. Also, my niece asked me if I could transfer some of her home video she had on tape to dvd and I did that. One thing I will not do, is record a movie or tv show and sell it. Then, to me, you're asking for trouble. Don't want the piracy police to come see me.

• I have two dvd recorders, both Panasonic and both record on DVD-R discs. Other brands used DVD+R and others used all formats. Mine also use DVD-RAM and those are rewritable discs, which means I can record on them, then erase it and use it again. I've had my machines for close to 10 yrs now and everything I've recorded has been on the DVD-R. All my recordings are for my own personal use. Except for a few. For instance, recently, I recorded Son Of The Morning Star. One for my own collection, and one for my son who's a huge Custer nut. Also, my niece asked me if I could transfer some of her home video she had on tape to dvd and I did that. One thing I will not do, is record a movie or tv show and sell it. Then, to me, you're asking for trouble. Don't want the piracy police to come see me.

Same here. I just want to transfer all the stuff I have in my VHS tapes to DvD--because im tired of lugging heavy boxes filled with them around every time I move house. Also, for space reasons too.

Same here also--if I can get me a VHS player to DvD recorder--ill make copies for people wanting to transfer their stuff to DvD--as I will for personal use--but--AMEN to what you said, I will refuse to make copies for a person to sell. The FBI recently shut down several major pirating operations here in Corpus Christi. One of the main guys was the guy who owned a place not too far from where i live called: Bomb Records. The only time I dealt with him was when I sold off all of my records as I was tired of lugging those around too.

Anyway, he admitted to selling copied stuff from time to time (lying that he didnt sell much--just whatever he bought from others) when the Feds raiding his shop. The Feds found all kinds of copying equipment and dozens of thousands of already made pirated DvDs. They also busted several more people who were selling these DvDs at Flea markets.