Duel at Diablo (1966)

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,340 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• DUEL AT DIABLO

DIRECTED BY RALPH NELSON
    PRODUCED BY FRED ENGEL/ RALPH NELSON
    CHEROKEE PRODUCTIONS
    UNITED ARTISTS

Photo with the courtesy of lasbugas

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
    Lieutenant McAllister is ordered to transport several ammunition wagons
    to another fort through Apache territory with only a small troop of rookie soldiers to guard them.
    Along for the ride is ex-scout Jess Remsberg who is trying to track down Ellen Grange,
    who, having recently been freed from Apache captivity, has mysteriously run off again
    to rejoin them. Remsberg frees Ellen again and leaves her with the embattled soldiers
    as he rides off to the fort, not only for help, but to find the man who killed
    and scalped his Indian wife.
    Written by Doug Sederberg

Full Cast
    James Garner ... Jess Remsberg
    Sidney Poitier ... Toller
    Bibi Andersson ... Ellen Grange
    Dennis Weaver ... Willard Grange
    Bill Travers ... Lt. Scotty McAllister
    William Redfield ... Sgt. Ferguson
    John Hubbard ... Maj. Novac
    Ralph Nelson ... Col. Foster (as Alf Elson)
    Bill Hart ... Cpl. Harrington
    John Hoyt ... Chata
    Eddie Little Sky ... Alchise
    John Crawford ... Clay Dean
    Armand Alzamora ... Ramirez (uncredited)
    Ralph Bahnsen ... Trooper Nyles (uncredited)
    Jeff Cooper ... Trooper Casey (uncredited)
    Kevin Coughlin ... Norton (uncredited)
    Robert Crawford Jr. ... Trooper Swenson - Bugler (uncredited)
    John Daheim ... Stableman at Fort Creel (uncredited)
    Richard Farnsworth ... Wagon Driver #1 (uncredited)
    Joe Finnegan ... Wagon Driver #2 (uncredited)
    Richard Lapp ... Forbes (uncredited)
    Dawn Little Sky ... Chata's Wife (uncredited)
    J.R. Randall ... Crowley (uncredited)
    Jay Ripley ... Tech (uncredited)
    Phil Schumacher ... Burly Soldier (uncredited)
    Al Wyatt Sr. ... Miner (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    Marvin H. Albert (screenplay) and
    Michael M. Grilikhes (screenplay) (as Michel M. Grilikhes)
    Marvin H. Albert (novel "Apache Rising")

Original Music
    Neal Hefti

Cinematography
    Charles F. Wheeler

Trivia
    Unknown

Goofs
    As James Garner and others descend a rock wall via ropes under a full moon,
    the men each cast two shadows.

Memorable Quotes

Filming Locations
    Johnson Canyon, Kanab, Utah, USA
    Kanab Movie Fort, Kanab, Utah, USA
    Kanab Movie Ranch - 5001 Angel Canyon Road, Kanab, Utah, USA
    Kanab, Utah, USA
    Paria, Utah, USA
    Southern Utah, Utah, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Duel at Diablo is a 1966 western film starring James Garner
    in his first Western since leaving Maverick and Sidney Poitier
    in his first Western.

Based on Marvin H. Albert's 1957 novel Apache Rising,
    the film was written by Albert and Michael M. Grilikhes and directed by Ralph Nelson
    who had directed Poitier in Lilies of the Field.
    The supporting cast includes Bibi Andersson, Bill Travers, Dennis Weaver and John Hoyt;
    Ralph Nelson has a cameo as an Army Major.
    The movie was shot on location amidst striking scenery in Utah
    and the unique musical score was composed by Neal Hefti.

User Review

A Western Adventure Morality Play!
    30 July 2002 | by floridawar (Tampa, Florida)

I first saw this movie as a small child on television, and twenty-two years later I finally got the guts to rent it last week to revisit it, and to see why I was so interested in it then. I recalled the exciting cavalry charges etc. and I even remembered the opening refrain of the strange musical score. I really enjoyed this movie unlike most of my childhood favorites. While the movie itself is alot like a John Ford Cavalry opera, it plays out alot differently. This one has more in common with the modern action movie, I think, than with most B-westerns of the 1960's. The fast pace of the movie, unearthly fates of the dead, anti-heroism of the protagonist (James Garner), and well done scenes of horse-borne combat combine to create a Western-Adventure-Morality Play that I certainly recommend. There are multiple forces at play here. Among them the bizarre, scorched desert scenery, Garner's quest for revenge for his dead Indian wife while pining over the married woman disgraced by her captivity with the Apaches, The underlying loyalty of Poitier's former soldier character to his former comrades (despite his overtly self-serving statements) contrasted with the underlying self-promoting purposes of Bill Traver's role as military commander. Too, I see shades of this one in 1993's Geronimo by Walter Hill (burning vistas, Apaches hidden in the ground, Garner's Remsberg character in Duval's Al Seiber etc.) The musical score is off-beat for standard western fare, but who needs more drum beats, flutes, and rattles?! I think the score compliments the movie well, and is perhaps the best indicator that this production thinks outside of the box, even if it remains within it subjectively. This may not qualify as a classic, but I definitely think its a great action flick, and a breath of western fresh air with intriguing insights into race, warfare, culture, and the winning of the west.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• This is a movie that I've seen maybe 50 times since its release in 1966, which averages out to almost once a year. I can't explain its appeal to me - it's certainly not a masterpiece. I just enjoy the characters, the military tactics, the action scenes, the cinematography and the music score. Like all my favorite movies, it's like visiting an old friend.
    It was a groundbreaker in that in the original novel, Toller (Sidney Poitier), was a white gambler, which makes this the one of first times a black actor was cast in a role that was racially neutral. Granted that Poitier had won best actor for director Ralph Nelson in 1963 for "Lilies of the Field" and perhaps was paying off a debt, but he is excellent. Garner, who also co-produced, played against his Maverick/Scrounger type as a tough as nails scout.
    Ace stunt man Richard Farnsworth is the wagon driver who snakes a bullwhip to an Apache's throat and Neil Summers is a trooper who catches an arrow in the back during the night infiltration. Another stuntman, Bill Hart, plays the unlucky Corporal Harrington. Hart was also one of Robert Ryans' posse in "The Wild Bunch". All three must have extensive filmographies on IMDB.
    If you haven't seen it, give it a couple hours in the dark.

We deal in lead, friend.