My absence from the forum

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,183 times. The latest Post () was by The Irish Duke.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi gang -

I'm going to apologize in advance for this being a slightly lengthy post. To understand the full scope of why I'm where I am at this point, it has to be. I hope no one is offended or put off.

You all know me and know that's not how I am! This is very important to me, so bear with me.

You may have noticed I've not been posting as of late. There are a couple of reasons for this. One of them is because the format change is - quite frankly - confusing, and I'm not a fan of the layout. I realize things aren't done with my aesthetic tastes and desires in mind, and that's perfectly fine, and i mean no offense to anyone, especially to the person or persons who designed the new layout, but I'm going on record as saying I'm not a fan...

Secondly (and this is the main reason), I had surgery on my left shoulder and arm on Monday, May 13, to take care of the following:

Repair torn rotator cuff
    Remove extra bone in collar bone and shoulder that been there since birth
    Remove arthritic spurs and bone segments
    Repair torn bicep
    Repair carpal tunnel damage in arm and hand

I wasn't able to sleep at all the first night after the surgery...well little snippets at a time. When I WAS able to sleep, I dreampt I was unable to sleep!!

I was sent home with a pain "block" that was inserted into my shoulder that - at the time I left out-patient services - was the equivalent of an over-sized softball. It was placed in a zippered pouch that had a strap so it could easily be worn around your neck, and also had a control panel that allowed you to set it from 8 (slowest flow of medication) to 14 (fastest flow). Obviously, the higher the setting, the shorter the life of the pain block.

So here I am, dozing in a "slightly used" recliner (bought especially for this occasion), a cast on my left wrist, my wrist wrapped in an Ace bandage, the entire arm trussed up in a Velcro sling designed to keep my arm and shoulder immobilized, and began to get sick.

Really sick.

Over the next few days, I would experience issues with aspiration (food coming up out my stomach, and going into my respitory tract), severe, uncontrollable hiccuping, such that I could barely get my breath. There would be also be times when I would be sleeping (wearing my CPAP mask over my nose, mind you), and my body would sense that I was going to be sick, so it would start to wake me up a few seconds before I actually GOT sick, giving me time to "grab a trash can!"

I could only eat soft food, such as apple sauce and the like. I couldn't anything "solid," because when I put it in my mouth, my throat would instantly close up. Trying to swallow non-soft stuff was out of the question, and even if I DID manage to force it down, I felt as if I was absolutely full.

My throat was raw, it was so sore, and I was spitting up really ugly colored mucus. I knew something was amiss, so at the urging of several people (most notably, my wife, who's still in Austin), I called my surgeon. This was on Thursday. He was very concerned, going as far as to tell me it could be a problem with the intubation, and since i have cardiac issues, advised me to call my primary care physician right away.

I called my PC right then, and he saw me the next day, which was Friday. I went in, and as is my habit, I had a list of questions/issues that needed addressing. I had my sister in there with me, not only in case I forgot something, but he's been her doctor for over 30 years, and he's only been mine for a few months. Since I became disabled, I automatically qualified for Medicare (my claim was active for three years), and finding a new doctor is near impossible.

He and I were new to each other (this was only my 3rd visit), and I wanted every advantage I could get! I needn't have worried. He was great. He's one of the best doctors I've ever had. He listened patiently to my HUGE list of symptoms/complaints/maladies, and looked over at my sister with a look on his face that could only be interpreted as: "Is he for real?!"

He told me, based on my symptoms, that he was going to do a chest X-ray, and probably a barium swallow test. I was still decked out in all the wrist cast/wrap and Velcro brace.

They took me to X-ray to get their pictures, and then back to talk to the doctor again. I was getting very tired at this point. While I was sitting there with my doctor and my sister, he started talking about the X-rays we just took, and I took in a deep breath to answer a question he asked about severe my hiccups were, and...WHAM I was hit with a BAD case of the hiccups. For a few seconds, we thought it was funny. Until I couldn't stop. This s a BAD episode, and I a horrible time trying to catch my breath.

He then said he was afraid (among other things) of a possible pulmonary embolism, and didn't want to send me home and have me die waiting to be treated. He told me to go to the ER right away, and he would call ahead to tell them I was coming.

So that's what we did. We drove the 30 minutes or so to the ER, saw the triage nurse, who had been briefed (she said "I understand you have something stuck in your throat?), then I set her on the right path. We then saw the ER doctor on call. Predictably, he asked the same question SHE did. So I went through it all again...

He acted rather stumped, but he plodded on. He came back after awhile, and explined that he had spoken with the Gastroenterologist on call, who advised him that, based on all the available data, the best course of action would be to do a...barium swallow test. Only they don't do these on Fridays. I'll have to come back on Monday. So...the ER doc gave me two prescriptions to fill ASAP. One for stomach cramps (which I didn't have), and one for a blister pack of steroids to take in preperation for the barium swallow test. He gave me a THIRD one for the test itself. He said to bring it back to the ER BEFORE 10 AM on Monday, and they'll do the test.

OK. No problem. We can do this.

I go the next morning...well, I have to have someone come out into the country to pick me up, because I'M not cleared to drive yet!!! The morning of my surgery, my sister, who's supposed to drive me, has BLOWN OUT her very fragile knee!!! Now SHE can't drive!

Anyway, I have my niece pick me up Monday morning at 8:30 AM, and drive me to the ER. We get there, I present my prescription to the registration people, and the lady says: "We don't do those procedures here..." OK...they tell me my primary care physician has to do it. Then they call the supervisor of the ER doc who set it up and chewed him out. He works out of 3 different ERs, and didn't realize he wasn't supposed to do it that way.

They drag the supervisor out and let ME (gently) chew on him a little bit, then on the way back home, I go by my doctor's office and have HIM schedule it for the next day. I go to where I had my shoulder surgery, they give me the barium, put me in front of the X-ray, have me take ONE sip, then the radiologist AND doc say "STOP," They show me that the barium ISN'T going down, because there's a severe narrowing (or "sticture") at the bottom of the esophagus. It's letting water through, but the barium is VERY thick and just barely trickles through.

Oddly enough, I had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy scheduled for that Friday (this past Friday, the 24th) for a few months prior to this, but they recognized I wouldn't be able to get the "prep" fluids down for the colonoscopy, so they wanted to just do the endoscopy.

They did the endoscopy early Friday afternoon, May 24. Because of the position I had to be placed in for the procedure, it put some strain on my already compromised arm. After the procedure, my sister and I met with my doctor to discuss the results.

I have Dysphagia - which is difficulty in swallowingm AND it has worsened since the surgery

Abnormal gi X-ray - gi tract

At the top of the esophagus there were white plaque material that, according to my doctor, usually indicates cancer, but in this case, he doesn't think it is. Just to be safe, he took biopsies to be analyzed. We should know something by this Friday, May, 31.

In the lower part of my esophagus and the main part of my stomach, there are (in his words) "gobs and gobs" of undigested food, and he has no explanation for this. Since I haven't been eating food for a while, it means theses "gobs" have been there a good little while.

In the lower part of my stomach, ther are several ulcers present. He's not convinced that they're caused by stress. Neither am I. However, he's not ruling stress out altogether, and neither am I.

What ALL of us thought at one point was: someway, somehow, the intubation was fouled up. But so far, there's been no evidence of that.

I know this has been a long read, but I great appreciate your indulgence in reading it. This ordeal with my health issues is something only a few of you have any knowledge of, and I'm not trying to force any of it on the rest of you, but I feel very comfortable with you all, my surrogate family so to speak, and I want you to know what's goin on in my life.

Anyway...that's the scoop. Feel free to fire away, although it might be better to do through PM, I suppose!

Keith, Kevin, Chester, et al...if I've overstepped or not done what I should've, I sincerely apologize - even f it IS a sign of weakness (according to Cpt. Nathan Brittles)

Thanks,

Russ (aka -The Tennesseean)

• Russ, thank you so much, for your somewhat lengthy explanation ha ha!!

Firstly sorry to hear about your Forum issues,
    but more importantly, secondly sorry to hear of your surgery
    and other related health problems.

I could not even start to help you out with your health issues,
    but maybe comment on your forum ones!

I am sure Kevin would agree, whenever there is a Forum upgrade,
    it does cause some members concern over navigating the new site.

I can tell you, wehen I opened up the new forum for the first time,
    my initial reaction was OMG, this is going to be fun!!

However, I for one find it very similar but better then the previous format.
    We have tweaked it a bit since probably you were last here,
    and some members issues have been addressed.
    The main problem area, appears to be the posting of photos,
    but I have hopefully addressed that issue in the appropriate thread.
    Indeed the posting of photos is more or less the same as before.

Hope you that you are well enough to spend just a little time
    working out the navigation as it will be good to have you back.

Get well soon

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Russ,

Sorry to hear about your health issues, when it rains it pours! I hope to get back to your old self very soon! And hope to see you around these parts very soon.

As for the forum issues, this happens whenever there is a upgrade, I'm sorry you're having issues with the new layout. We are working to address issues that was caused by the upgrade, and we'll continue to tweak the remaining issues.

We were way overdue for this upgrade, and we needed to do this to get to the latest and securest version of the forum software. I was kicking this upgrade down the road for a while.

If you have any questions about the forum then feel free to post it. There is a thread in the "Board News & Announcements" forum that you can post in, or feel free to PM any staffer and we'll help you out.

Take care!

Kevin

• Hi Russ, sorry to hear about all the health issues and hoping everything heals with rapid progress. Take care and ill be hanging around lurking in dark corners waiting for your return.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• As everyone else has stated, I also am sorry for all the health issues you are facing at this time.You really did have it coming from all directions. We all hope you bounce back quickly.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Russ, I'm saddened by your health problems but admire your determination and rational approach toward recovery. The modern health system in this country is a quagmire of incompetence and you are smart in bringing an advocate with you. There are individual health care professionals who are very capable as you describe in your encounter with your new primary care doc, but the correct information doesn't always get transmitted to them properly.

You seem to have the tenacity to beat these burdens. Please don't despair as time grinds on.

Finally, I am honored to be considered a member of your surrogate family. My prayers are with you.

Bill

• Thanks for the kind responses. To top it all off, I've developed a nasty sinus infection, so that brought about a need for a trip to my primary care guy, who was quite helpful and anxious to hear about the endoscopy results.

He wrote out an order for some antibiotics, and I'll be calling the Gastroenterologist in the morning to see about the biopsy results. I've already received a notice about my gastric emptying test. That'll be done on 6/6/13, and they're going to re-do the endoscopy and attempt the colonoscopy on 7/25/13.

I'll keep everyone up to date as things progress.

Thanks so much for your support. There's no way to put into words how much it means to me.

Russ