There are 3 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,293 times. The latest Post () was by Stumpy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• GRACE KELLY

Information from IMDb

Date of Birth
    12 November 1929,
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

Date of Death
    14 September 1982,
    Monaco (injuries from car accident)

Birth Name
    Grace Patricia Kelly

Nickname
    Graciebird
    Gracie

Height
    5' 6½" (1.69 m)

Spouse
    Prince Rainier of Monaco (18 April 1956 - 14 September 1982) (her death) 3 children

Trade Mark

Her poised, calm, cool and collected demeanor and blond hair often coiffed in a bun

Often cast as the love interest of the leading man who is over 20 years older.

Trivia
    Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#5). [1995]

Ranked #51 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list. [October 1997]

Hoped to return to acting in Alfred Hitchcock's Marnie (1964), but the people of Monaco didn't want their princess playing a thief and romancing Sean Connery.

Had three children with Prince Rainier of Monaco: Princess Caroline of Monaco (1957), Prince Albert of Monaco (1958) and Princess Stéphanie of Monaco (1965).

Her movies were banned in Monaco by order of Prince Rainier of Monaco.

The inscription at her burial site in Monaco's cathedral does not refer to her as a princess. It uses the title "uxor principis" (prince's wife), which is traditional in the House of Grimaldi.

Interred at the Cathedral of St. Nicholas, Monaco.

Assisted in the pre-production status of Grace Kelly (1983) (TV) starring Cheryl Ladd as Grace Kelly.

Actress Rita Gam was among her bridesmaids.

Born at 5:31 AM EST.

In 1993, the United States and Monaco simultaneously released a commemorative postage stamp honoring her. However, United States federal law forbids postage stamps depicting foreign heads of state, so the United States stamp listed her as "Grace Kelly", while the Monaco stamp listed her as "Princess Grace".

Part of Prince Rainier of Monaco's attraction to marrying a movie star was to increase tourism in his tiny, cash-poor principality, and the Kelly family was turned off by his demands that a substantial dowry accompany Grace to Monaco. A figure of $2,000,000 was finally agreed upon, which was diverted from Grace's inheritance so that her brother and two sisters wouldn't be shortchanged.

Kelly's wedding gown was the most expensive garment that MGM designer Helen Rose had ever made. It used twenty-five yards of silk taffeta and one hundred yards of silk net. Its 125-year-old rose point lace was purchased from a museum and thousands of tiny pearls were sewn on the veil.

Was considered for the role of Maggie the Cat in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958) that was eventually played by Elizabeth Taylor.

The so-called "wealthy" family Grace was born into was actually an immigrant family of bricklayers who had barely a generation of new-found business success. Grace's father and brother were both Olympic gold-medal scullers. Grace's cousin, former US Secy of Navy John Lehman, Jr. now chairs the Princess Grace Foundation, which supports young performing talent.

Attended and graduated from the American Academy of Dramatic Arts, New York.

The Country Girl (1954), the film that won Kelly an Oscar, was first offered to Jennifer Jones, who had to turn it down due to pregnancy.

When she left Hollywood, several roles she was slated to play were eventually filled by Lauren Bacall (Designing Woman (1957) and The Cobweb (1955)). Director George Stevens also wanted her for Giant (1956).

Niece of playwright George Kelly.

Born to John Brendan Kelly, Sr. (1889-1960), son of Irish immigrants, and his wife Margaret Katherine Majer, who was of German descent, she had three siblings: Peggy, John Jr. and Lizzane.

On January 1959, the Austrian government awarded her a medal of merit for aid to Hungarian refugees escaping Russian invasion, given through Monaco's Red Cross.

She was one of many famous tenants of the Barbizon Hotel for Women when she lived in New York. Other tenants included Candice Bergen, Liza Minnelli, Cloris Leachman, Ali MacGraw, and Edith 'Little Edie' Bouvier Beale.

She was voted the 27th Greatest Movie Star of all time by Entertainment Weekly.

Referenced in the songs "Grace Kelly", by Die Ärzte; "Grace Kelly Blues" by Eels (Mark Everett),"Grace Kelly with Wings" by Piebald; and "Grace Kelly" by Mika.

She was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6329 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.

Hedda Hopper reported that Judy Garland's loss of the Academy Award to Grace for The Country Girl (1954) was the result of the closest Oscar vote up till that time that didn't end in a tie, with just six votes separating the two. In any event, it was such a heartbreak from which Judy Garland never recovered from, mentally. Judy Garland was nominated for her role in A Star Is Born (1954) and which has remained a matter of some controversy.

Summoned Sydney Guilaroff, the chief hairstylist at MGM Studios, to style her hair for her marriage to Prince Rainier of Monaco in 1956.

She was voted the 12th Greatest Movie Star of all time by Premiere Magazine.

Was named #13 Actress on The American Film Institute's 50 Greatest Screen Legends

The road accident which led to her death was apparently caused by a stroke she suffered while driving.

Was romantically involved with fashion designer Oleg Cassini.

Is portrayed by Christina Applegate and Cheryl Ladd in Grace Kelly (1983) (TV).

Is one of the many movie stars mentioned in Madonna's song "Vogue".

Broke off her engagement to Oleg Cassini to marry Prince Rainier of Monaco.

Bought a silver frame as a wedding gift to Prince Charles and Princess Diana in 1981.

While pregnant with Princess Caroline of Monaco, Grace often used her Hermès bag to shield her belly from prying paparazzi. The company nicknamed that purse "the Kelly bag.".

Her favorite flowers were roses. After her death, Prince Rainier of Monaco opened a public rose garden in Monaco.

Biography in: "The Scribner Encyclopedia of American Lives". Volume One, 1981-1985, pages 447-450. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1998.

In Italy, a vast number of her films were dubbed by Fiorella Betti. She was also dubbed by Miranda Bonansea, Dhia Cristiani and Rina Morelli, respectively in High Noon (1952), Dial M for Murder (1954) and To Catch a Thief (1955).

Was offered to do a role in 11-time Oscar-nominated The Turning Point (1977).

In her youth, her favorite actors were Joseph Cotten and Ingrid Bergman.

Her wedding's church ceremony at Monaco's Saint Nicholas Cathedral was exclusively filmed by MGM and made into the documentary The Wedding in Monaco (1956). The 600 guests included David Niven, Gloria Swanson, Ava Gardner and Conrad Hilton (19 April 1956).

Graduated from Stevens School in Germantown, Philadelphia (1947).

On the day she perished in a car accident, she was allegedly driving a British Rover 3500.

Cary Grant named her as his favorite co-star. His friends and family said Kelly's death hit him much harder than the deaths of Louis Mountbatten, Alfred Hitchcock and even Ingrid Bergman.

She and her husband Prince Rainier of Monaco, were at the opening of Expo '58 in Brussels.

Grandmother of: Andrea, Charlotte, and Pierre Casiraghi, Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra of Hanover, Louis and Pauline Ducruet, Camille Gottlieb, Jazmin Grace Grimaldi and Alexandre Coste.

Was considered for the role of Sarah in Guys and Dolls (1955), however Jean Simmons was cast instead.

Was allegedly romantically involved with all of her leading men apart from James Stewart.

Her father built a beach house at the corner of 26th and Wesley in Ocean City, New Jersey in 1929. It became a popular family vacation destination, and hosted celebrity guests such as Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, Bob Hope and Bing Crosby. Grace's sister, Lizanne, lived in the house until it was sold in 2001.

All of her leading men were old enough to be her father (with the exception of William Holden, who was only 11 years older than her).

Former mother-in-law of Stefano Casiraghi (1983-1990) and mother-in-law of Daniel Ducruet (1995-1996). She is also the future mother-in-law of Princess Charlene of Monaco.

Was good friends with actress Maureen O'Hara.

She and her husband Prince Rainier of Monaco became pregnant twice in 1962; on both occasions she suffered miscarriages.

Ranked #86 in Men's Health 100 Hottest Women of all Time (2011).

The very first actress to appear on a postage stamp in 1993.

She graduated from Stevens School in Germantown, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA on June 5, 1947; her classmates predicted, in her senior yearbook, that she was certain "to become a stage and screen star.".

Her first date, Harper Davis, died in 1953 after contracting multiple sclerosis when he returned from World War II and whose funeral was attended by Grace Kelly.

She was a registered Democrat and her family was close friends with Franklin D. Roosevelt during his administration.

Mini Biography
    Grace Patricia Kelly was born on November 12, 1929 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to wealthy parents. Her girlhood was uneventful for the most part, but one of the things she desired was to become an actress which she had decided on at an early age. After her high school graduation in 1947, Grace struck out on her own, heading to New York's bright lights to try her luck there. Grace worked some as a model and made her debut on Broadway in 1949. She also made a brief foray into the infant medium of television. Not content with the work in New York, Grace moved to Southern California for the more prestigious part of acting -- motion pictures. In 1951, she appeared in her first film entitled Fourteen Hours (1951) when she was 22. It was a small part, but a start nonetheless. The following year, she landed the role of Amy Kane in High Noon (1952), a western starring Gary Cooper and Lloyd Bridges which turned out to be very popular. In 1953, Grace appeared in only one film, but it was another popular one. The film was Mogambo (1953) where Grace played Linda Nordley. The film was a jungle drama in which fellow cast members, Clark Gable and Ava Gardner turned in masterful performances. It was also one of the best films ever released by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. Although she got noticed with High Noon, her work with director Alfred Hitchcock, which began with Dial M for Murder (1954) made her a star. Her standout performance in Rear Window (1954) brought her to prominence. As Lisa Fremont, she was cast opposite James Stewart, who played a crippled photographer who witnesses a murder in the next apartment from his wheelchair. Grace stayed busy in 1954 appearing in five films. Grace would forever be immortalized by winning the Academy Award for Best Actress for her portrayal of Georgie Elgin opposite Bing Crosby in The Country Girl (1954). In 1955, Grace once again teamed with Hitchcock in To Catch a Thief (1955) co-starring Cary Grant. In 1956, she played Tracy Lord in the musical comedy High Society (1956) which also starred Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby. The whimsical tale ended with her re-marrying her former husband, played by Crosby. The film was well received and also turned out to be her final acting performance. Grace had recently met and married Prince Rainier of Monaco. By becoming a princess, she gave up her career. For the rest of her life, she was to remain in the news with her marriage and her three children. On September 14, 1982, Grace was killed in an automobile accident in her adoptive home country at age 52.
    IMDb Mini Biography By: Denny Jackson

Personal Quotes
    Hollywood amuses me. Holier-than-thou for the public and unholier-than-the-devil in reality.

I'll tell you one of the reasons I'm ready to leave. When I first came to Hollywood five years ago, my makeup call was at eight in the morning. On this movie it's been put back to seven-thirty. Every day I see Joan Crawford, who's been in makeup since five, and Loretta Young, who's been there since four in the morning. I'll be god-damned if I'm going to stay in a business where I have to get up earlier and earlier and it takes longer and longer for me to get in front of a camera.

I hated Hollywood. It's a town without pity. I know of no other place in the world where so many people suffer from nervous breakdowns, where there are so many alcoholics, neurotics, and so much unhappiness.

Mogambo (1953) had three things that interested me. John Ford, Clark Gable, and a trip to Africa with expenses paid. If Mogambo had been made in Arizona, I wouldn't have done it.

At times I think I actually hate Hollywood. I have many acquaintances there, but few friends.

I came to success very quickly. Perhaps too quickly to value its importance.

I would like to be remembered as someone who accomplished useful deeds, and who was a kind and loving person. I would like to leave the memory of a human being with a correct attitude and who did her best to help others.

My father had a very simple view of life: you don't get anything for nothing. Everything has to be earned, through work, persistence and honesty. My father also had a deep charm, the gift of winning our trust. He was the kind of man with whom many people dream of spending an evening.

My real difficulty was to become a normal person again, after having been a movie actress for so long. For me, at the time I was living in New York and Hollywood, a normal person was someone who made movies.

Mr. Hitchcock taught me everything about cinema. It was thanks to him that I understood that murder scenes should be shot like love scenes and love scenes like murder scenes.

Of course, I think about marriage, but my career is still the most important thing for me. If I interrupt it now to get married, because I don't believe in a part-time family life, I would risk passing the rest of my existence wondering whether or not I would have been able to become a great actress.

My parents, despite their serious attitude toward life in general, and that of their children in particular, were very broadminded people. There was no such thing as a bad profession for them. As I was their daughter, they knew that, whatever profession I chose, I would do it well. That was enough for them. There was always trust among the Kellys.

I've always treated my children as beings in their own right. I respect their feelings and aspirations entirely.

When I married Prince Rainier, I married the man and not what he represented or what he was. I fell in love with him without giving a thought to anything else.

I would like to say to my future fellow citizens that the Prince, my fiance, has taught me to love them. I already know a lot about them from the way he has described them to me, and my dearest desire today is to find a little place in their hearts.

My love of flowers opened a lot of doors for me. I've made many friends because of their passion of flowers and their vast knowledge in this field.

Although, I've played a wide variety of roles, I've never had the chance to act in a story written specially for me. It's a pity as they are the only stories that really let you reveal your personality.

When Ava Gardner gets in a taxi, the driver knows at once she's Ava Gardner. It's the same for Lana Turner or Elizabeth Taylor, but not for me. I'm never Grace Kelly. I'm always someone who looks like Grace Kelly.

Fairy tales tell imaginary stories. Me, I'm a living person. I exist. If the story of my life as a real woman were to be told one day, people would at last discover the real being that I am.

If there is one thing that is foreign to me it is shopping for pleasure. On the other hand, I believe that it is right to honour all those who create beautiful things and give satisfaction to those who see me wearing them.

It would be very sad if children had no memories before those of school. What they need most is the love and attention of their mother.

I avoid looking back. I prefer good memories to regrets.

I'm basically a feminist. I think that women can do anything they decide to do.

The studios are tenacious. When they want someone or something, they always get it in the end. I ended up signing a contract with MGM. I signed because they offered me the chance of shooting in Africa, but I signed it at the desk of the airport, when the engines of the plane were already turning.

Before my marriage, I didn't think about all the obligations there were awaiting me. My experience has proved useful and I think that I have a natural propensity to feel compassion for people and their problems.

Filmography
    Actor
    1956 High Society...Tracy Lord
    1956 The Swan...Princess Alexandra
    1955 To Catch a Thief...Frances Stevens
    1954 The Bridges at Toko-Ri...Nancy Brubaker
    1954 Green Fire...Catherine Knowland
    1954 The Country Girl...Georgie Elgin
    1954 Rear Window...Lisa Carol Fremont
    1954 Dial M for Murder...Margot Mary Wendice
    1948-1954 Kraft Television Theatre (TV series)
    – The Thankful Heart (1954)
    – Boy of Mine (1953)
    – The Small House (1952)
    – The Cricket on the Hearth (1952)
    – Old Lady Robbins (1948)
    1953 Mogambo...Linda Nordley
    1950-1953 The Philco Television Playhouse (TV series)
    Ann Rutledge / Bethel Merriday / Paula
    – The Way of the Eagle (1953)
    – Rich Boy (1952) … Paula
    – The Sisters (1951)
    – Leaf out of a Book (1950)
    – Ann Rutledge (1950) … Ann Rutledge
    all 6 episodes
    1952-1953 Lux Video Theatre (TV series)
    Beth / Janice / Meg
    – The Betrayer (1953) … Meg
    – A Message for Janice (1952) … Janice
    – Life, Liberty and Orrin Dudley (1952) … Beth
    1950-1952 Studio One (TV series)
    Freda Clark / Sara Mappin
    – The Kill (1952) … Freda Clark
    – The Rockingham Tea Set (1950) … Sara Mappin
    1951-1952 Armstrong Circle Theatre (TV series)
    – Recapture (1952)
    – City Editor (1952)
    – Brand from the Burning (1951)
    – Lover's Leap (1951)
    1952 High Noon...Amy Fowler Kane
    1952 Goodyear Television Playhouse (TV series)– Leaf Out of a Book (1952)
    1952 Suspense (TV series)– Fifty Beautiful Girls (1952)
    1952 Robert Montgomery Presents (TV series)– Candles for Theresa (1952) … Therese
    1950-1952 Lights Out (TV series)
    – The Borgia Lamp (1952)
    – The Devil to Pay (1950)
    1950-1952 Danger (TV series)
    – Prelude to Death (1952)
    – The Sergeant and the Doll (1950)
    1952 The Big Build Up (TV movie)...Claire
    1952 CBS Television Workshop (TV series)– Don Quixote (1952) … Dulcinea
    1951 Fourteen Hours...Mrs. Louise Ann Fuller
    1951 Nash Airflyte Theatre (TV series)– A Kiss for Mr. Lincoln (1951) … Mrs. Kennard
    1951 The Prudential Family Playhouse (TV series)– Berkeley Square (1951) … Helen Pettigrew
    1950 Somerset Maugham TV Theatre (TV series)– Episode (1950)
    1950 The Clock (TV series)– Vengeance (1950)
    1950 Big Town (TV series)– The Pay-Off (1950)
    1950 Actor's Studio (TV series)
    – The Swan (1950) … Princess Alexandra
    – The Token (1950)
    – The Apple Tree (1950)
    1950 Believe It or Not (TV series)– The Voice of Obsession (1950)

Watch this Tribute

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Grace Patricia Kelly was an American actress who, in April 1956,
    married Rainier III, Prince of Monaco, to become princess consort of Monaco,
    styled as Her Serene Highness
    The Princess of Monaco and commonly referred to as Princess Grace or Princess Gracia

After embarking on an acting career in 1950, at the age of 20,
    Grace Kelly appeared in New York City theatrical productions as well
    as in more than forty episodes of live drama productions broadcast
    during the early 1950s Golden Age of Television. In October 1953,
    with the release of Mogambo, she became a movie star,
    a status confirmed in 1954 with a Golden Globe Award and Academy Award
    nomination as well as leading roles in five films, including The Country Girl,
    in which she gave a deglamorized, Academy Award-winning performance.

She retired from acting at 26 to enter upon her duties in Monaco.

She and Prince Rainier had three children: Caroline, Albert, and Stéphanie.
    She also retained her American roots, maintaining dual US and Monégasque citizenships.

She died after suffering a stroke on September 14, 1982,
    when she lost control of her automobile and crashed.
    Her daughter, Princess Stéphanie, was in the car with her, and survived the accident.

In June 1999, the American Film Institute ranked her No.13
    in their list of top female stars of American cinema.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England