Hell on Wheels (2011-2016)

There are 55 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 30,899 times. The latest Post () was by alamo221.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• HELL ON WHEELS
    NOMADIC PICTURES
    AMERICAN MOVIE CLASSICS (AMC)

Information from IMDb

Series Directed
    David Von Ancken ... (8 episodes, 2011-2016)
    Adam Davidson ... (6 episodes, 2011-2016)
    Neil LaBute ... (5 episodes, 2013-2015)
    Michael Nankin ... (4 episodes, 2012-2016)
    David Straiton ... (4 episodes, 2013-2015)
    Rod Lurie ... (3 episodes, 2012-2015)
    Billy Gierhart ... (3 episodes, 2013-2015)
    Dennie Gordon ... (3 episodes, 2013-2014)

Plot Summary
    Cullen Bohannan, a former soldier and slaveholder, follows the track of a band of Union soldiers, the killers of his wife.
    This brings him to the middle of one of the biggest projects in US history,
    the building of the transcontinental railroad. After the war years in the 1860s,
    this undertaking connected the prospering east with the still wild west.
    Written by cc ardbeg

Series Cast
    Anson Mount Anson Mount ...
    Cullen Bohannon (55 episodes, 2011-2016)
    Colm Meaney Colm Meaney ...
    Thomas 'Doc' Durant (52 episodes, 2011-2016)
    Robin McLeavy Robin McLeavy ...
    Eva (50 episodes, 2011-2016)
    Phil Burke Phil Burke ...
    Mickey McGinnes (49 episodes, 2011-2016)
    Christopher Heyerdahl Christopher Heyerdahl ...
    The Swede / ... (40 episodes, 2011-2016)
    Dohn Norwood Dohn Norwood ...
    Psalms / ... (38 episodes, 2011-2016)
    Common Common ...
    Elam Ferguson (32 episodes, 2011-2014)
    Kasha Kropinski Kasha Kropinski ...
    Ruth / ... (31 episodes, 2011-2014)
    Ben Esler Ben Esler ...
    Sean McGinnes (28 episodes, 2011-2013)
    Jennifer Ferrin Jennifer Ferrin ...
    Louise Ellison (24 episodes, 2013-2016)
    Dominique McElligott Dominique McElligott ...
    Lily Bell (20 episodes, 2011-2012)
    Eddie Spears Eddie Spears ...
    Joseph Black Moon (20 episodes, 2011-2012)
    Tom Noonan Tom Noonan ...
    Reverend Nathaniel Cole (18 episodes, 2011-2014)
    Duncan Ollerenshaw Duncan Ollerenshaw ...
    Mr. Toole (16 episodes, 2011-2012)
    David Wilson Barnes David Wilson Barnes ...
    Martin Delaney / ... (16 episodes, 2014-2016)
    Tayden Marks Tayden Marks ...
    Ezra Dutson / ... (16 episodes, 2012-2014)
    Jake Weber Jake Weber ...
    John Campbell (15 episodes, 2014-2016)
    Chelah Horsdal Chelah Horsdal ...
    Maggie Palmer (14 episodes, 2013-2016)
    Tim Guinee Tim Guinee ...
    Collis Huntington (14 episodes, 2013-2016)
    Kevin Davey Kevin Davey ...
    Paddy Quinn (14 episodes, 2013-2016)
    MacKenzie Porter MacKenzie Porter ...
    Naomi Bohannon (12 episodes, 2014-2016)
    Haysam Kadri Haysam Kadri ...
    Dutch / ... (12 episodes, 2013-2016)
    Leon Ingulsrud Leon Ingulsrud ...
    Doctor Major Augustus Bendix (10 episodes, 2013-2016)
    James Shanklin James Shanklin ...
    Aaron Hatch (10 episodes, 2013-2016)

Trivia
    Anson Mount played the video game Red Dead Redemption for about a month before his audition, and he has been often told that his character bears resemblance to John Marston, the protagonist of the game.

Christopher Heyerdahl and Colm Meaney were also primary antagonists on Stargate Atlantis (Todd the Wraith and Cowan of the Genii, respectively).

David Von Ancken directed the first and last episode of the show.

In the 5 seasons of the show, no actor appeared in every episode.

Features Wes Studi, Tom Noonan, and Ted Levine. All of whom appeared in Heat together, and are regulars of Michael Mann films.

In season 1, episode 6, in the scene where the Indian races the train, you can clearly see the Indian is riding a shod horse. Cheyenne didn't have blacksmiths and didn't shoe their horses.

"Hell On Wheels Main Title" Written by 'Kevin Kiner' and 'Gustavo Santaolalla'

The LDS Primary song, When I Am Baptized, sung in One Less Mule wasn't written until 1989.

Filming Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 7 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hell on Wheels is an American Western television series created and produced by Joe and Tony Gayton.
    Set in 1865 in Season One and Two, and 1867 in Season Three, the series centers on the settlement
    that accompanied the construction of First Transcontinental Railroad, referred to as "Hell on Wheels"
    by the Union Pacific company men, surveyors, support workers, laborers, prostitutes, mercenaries,
    and others who make the mobile encampment their home.

It stars Anson Mount as Cullen Bohannon, a former Confederate soldier who worked as a foreman
    on the railroad while attempting to track down the Union soldiers who murdered his wife and young son.
    He later works on becoming the chief engineer.

The series is broadcast in the United States and Canada on the cable channel AMC and premiered on November 6, 2011.
    It was developed by Endemol USA, under the stewardship of senior vice-president of scripted programming Jeremy Gold,
    and is produced by Entertainment One and Nomadic Pictures.

On December 23, 2011, AMC renewed Hell on Wheels for a second season,
    which premiered on August 12, 2012 and ended on October 7, 2012.
    On October 29, 2012, AMC renewed Hell on Wheels for a third season, consisting of 10 episodes.
    The series' creators, Joe and Tony Gayton, no longer are involved in the day to day production.

On December 12, 2012, AMC announced that John Wirth, a writer for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles,
    would take over as showrunner for the third season. Production began in the spring of 2013,
    and the third season premiered on August 10, 2013.

User Review

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• AMC saddles up a western with 'Hell on Wheels,' stays true to network's lineup of deep, dark dramas

BEVERLY HILLS - AMC officials say the network was looking for a Western.

Writers Tony and Joe Gayton say they were hankering to try a Western.

Actor Anson Mount says he was thinking maybe he should shake up his career by doing a Western.

You can see where this is going.

On Nov. 6, AMC will premiere "Hell on Wheels," a Western written by the Gaytons and starring Anson Mount, along with Common, Colm Meaney and a host of other characters.

Like other shows in AMC's growing stable of dramas, "Hell on Wheels" is dense and sometimes dark. Its nasty characters show occasional flashes of light and its heroes have flaws. Unlike some other AMC shows, it has a considerable amount of action, as well as profanity and graphic violence.

The show is set in post-Civil War America, across the lands where the transcontinental railroad is being built.

Mount plays Cullen Bohannon, who fought for the South although he had freed his own slaves a year before the war broke out, at the urging of his Mormon wife.

His wife was killed during the war. Avenging her death is now the reason Bohannon gets up in the morning.

This quest brings him to the railroad, where he meets a cast that Tony Gayton yesterday described to TV reporters here as "Hell's Kitchen in the West."

The laborers are Irish, Italian, German and black, among other ancestries, with the common goal of making hard lives better.

Common plays Elam Ferguson, a freed slave who isn't at all happy when a former slave owner becomes his boss on the line.

But the action isn't all on the line. Meaney plays "Doc" Durant, the ruthless entrepreneur building the railroad. His pitch is that it will make America great. His real motive is that it will make him rich.

"Hell on Wheels" also shows how the railroad pushed civilization west, displacing Native Americans as it went.

"It was the beginning of greatness for this country," says Joe Gayton. "And the beginning of the end for the Indians."

As this suggests, the show aims to tell sweeping stories, and Meaney among others suggests that setting it in the past helps it raise issues that are still touchy today.

"By going back," says Meaney, "it's easier to address issues like the relationship between races - not just black and white, but Italian and Irish, for instance. You can ask big questions, like what is progress?"

No one seems daunted that Westerns have fallen out of favor over the last few decades.

"Broken Trail" was one of the channel's highest-rated specials, AMC senior vice president Joel Stillerman noted, and HBO did well with the acclaimed "Deadwood," to which "Hell on Wheels" will inevitably hear some comparisons.

"You'll see iconic Western shots, like the big panorama and the mountains," says Tony Gayton. "But we hope it's the characters that will make people want to watch."

http://www.nydailynews.com/ent…up_hell_of_a_western.html

• Personnally, with a title like that, I would rather it be about the WWII Armored Division and their "activities" in France through Germany.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Personnally, with a title like that, I would rather it be about the WWII Armored Division and their "activities" in France through Germany.

I was thinking the same thing, sort of -- I mean, that the title sounds like anything but a western. I hope it doesn't turn out to be another exercise in political correctness in which behavior and dialogue reflects lifestyles of the idle rich in Malibu and Bel Aire instead of the time and place of the American west. The way things are going, I'm not optimistic.

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

• I was thinking the same thing, sort of -- I mean, that the title sounds like anything but a western. I hope it doesn't turn out to be another exercise in political correctness in which behavior and dialogue reflects lifestyles of the idle rich in Malibu and Bel Aire instead of the time and place of the American west. The way things are going, I'm not optimistic.

Richard

Hi Richard, I fully agree. Ill give it a try but I hope it does turn out to be a good one. If its PC, im outta there in a heartbeat.

• I just remembered, Hell On Wheels was the title of the third installment -- which was 2 hours -- of the TNT miniseries INTO THE WEST (2008). Heavily politically corrected: all the problems in the American west are caused by ignorant oppressive white men, but of course their women know better. Ominous title for a proposed TV series.

Pardon me for turning political.

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

• I just remembered, Hell On Wheels was the title of the third installment -- which was 2 hours -- of the TNT miniseries INTO THE WEST (2008). Heavily politically corrected: all the problems in the American west are caused by ignorant oppressive white men, but of course their women know better. Ominous title for a proposed TV series.

Pardon me for turning political.

Richard

Speaking of the ignorant PC people. I ride the bus in Corpus Christi and I overheard a conversation between a white guy/passenger and the driver-a hispanic guy. The passenger was reading a book about how the white men oppressed the Indians--totally ignoring the fact that the Spaniards did much worse.

I made mention of the fact about the Spaniards treatment of the Indians and almost got thrown off the bus. All I can say is-Stupid is as Stupid does, and in this case-both that passenger and driver were very stupid.

• Try reading this acclaimed book by historian Thomas Goodrich. He lets the evidence do the talking in Scalp Dance. Not too academic, above politics and beyond blame games. It's a good place to start.

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

• Thanks for the title, I will look i tup at the library this Monday ;-))

• The reason I mention this particular book is that it covers the same time and place, geographically and chronologically, as the new series HELL ON WHEELS. Wish I could get ten people -- okay, five people -- to read the book first, and watch the program as it airs, so that we could discuss it in a devoted thread. That would be fun.

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

• Annnddddd... the review from The New York Times (if anyone cares). :)

Hell on Wheels

Chris Large/AMC
    Hell on Wheels Anson Mount, right, and Ted Levine, on horseback, in a scene from “Hell on Wheels,” a new series on AMC, Sunday nights at 10 Eastern and Pacific times; 9 Central time.

It’s Mud and Blood, All the Livelong Day

By ALESSANDRA STANLEY

Published: November 3, 2011

The Transcontinental Railroad tamed the Wild West, but the building of it was one of the more savage adventures in American history. That’s the crux of a new western on AMC, “Hell on Wheels,” which is, if nothing else, ambitious. Even at a highfalutin channel it’s pretty unusual for television producers to list their literary and cinematic influences. It’s a little like a councilman thanking Winston Churchill in a sanitation bill — or a TV critic assessing “The X Factor” with a nod to Roland Barthes.

Chris Large/AMC

The rapper Common, foreground, plays a former slave who forms an uneasy alliance with a Confederate Army veteran.

Joe and Tony Gayton, the creators of “Hell on Wheels,” are fearless, however, boasting in their promotional material that they were inspired by Clint Eastwood’s movie “Unforgiven,” Robert Altman’s “McCabe and Mrs. Miller” and Jim Jarmusch’s cult favorite “Dead Man.” Their writing muses include Upton Sinclair, who wrote “The Jungle,” and Cormac McCarthy, author of “Blood Meridian.”

They don’t mention the one work that people are most likely to compare the series with: “Deadwood.” It’s a telling lapse. For just as AMC ads promise that “blood will be spilled,” it is inevitable that come the premiere of “Hell on Wheels” on Sunday, ink will be spilled on why the Gaytons didn’t try harder to do something totally different from “Deadwood.”

“Hell on Wheels” isn’t terrible or even half-bad; it’s a western, after all, and it has a lot of violence, which, particularly when inflicted with tomahawks and arrows, covers a multitude of sins.

But westerns, like a jazz standard, can withstand all kinds of riffing. The 1989 mini-series “Lonesome Dove,” adapted from the Larry McMurtry novel, revived the genre and also almost killed it. It was so good it was almost impossible to match. Yet “Broken Trail,” a 2006 AMC movie that even starred Robert Duvall in the same crusty, worn-out cowboy role, found its own voice, mostly by mixing Far East and West. In 2005 a TNT mini-series, “Into the West” made a point of flipping TV clichés — the first alcohol served is not “firewater” whiskey, but an Indian ceremonial drink, the first massacre is committed by buffaloes, not vigilantes or the cavalry, and the first scalping of a frontiersman is committed by a grizzly bear, not an Indian in war paint.
    “Deadwood,” which was written and created by David Milch and was a critical hit for HBO for three seasons starting in 2004, took all the conventions of the classic western and turned them upside down. “Hell on Wheels” takes many of Mr. Milch’s innovations and flattens them out — “Deadwood for Dummies.” The theme music is startlingly similar, if more muted, and so is the faded sepia and gray cinematography. That bleached-out look has become so ubiquitous on AMC that it’s almost as if there were a premium on bright color, like the window tax that drove 18th-century homeowners to brick up their buildings.

In some cases monochromatic lighting makes sense. AMC’s “Walking Dead” fades its hues to match the illustrations of the graphic novel that inspired it, and “The Killing” is set in Seattle and was based on a moody Scandinavian thriller. “Deadwood” had a drained, claustrophobic palette that was almost an inside joke, an inversion of the grand sweeps of Technicolor in John Ford classics. The cinematography on “Hell on Wheels,” on the other hand, just looks familiar.

Most of all, many of the central characters seem modeled on ones from “Deadwood,” only without the flights of profanity and quasi-Shakespearean grandiloquence that made Mr. Milch’s dialogue so distinctive. Hell on Wheels is the name of a frontier tent city, and like Deadwood, it’s a muddy, cramped encampment for a ragtag crew of brutes — and whores — working on the railroad. The year is 1865, right after the end of the Civil War and Lincoln’s assassination, a time when, as the introduction puts it, the nation was “an open wound.”

The hero, Cullen Bohannon (Anson Mount), is a taciturn Confederate Army veteran heading West to track down the men who killed his wife during the war. Working on the railroad, he crosses paths with a former slave, Elam Ferguson, played by the rapper Common, and the two Southerners form an uneasy alliance. Most of the women they meet are for hire, but there is one well-bred beauty, Lily Bell (Dominique McElligott), the English bride of a geological surveyor, who makes her way through hostile Indian territory in a corset and long skirts.

The railroad attracts all kinds of louts and swindlers, and the shadiest of them all is the boss, Thomas Durant (Colm Meaney), known as Doc, who was a real-life robber baron who used government contracts to enrich himself under the banner of Manifest Destiny. “This undertaking is subsidized by the enormous teat of the federal government,” Durant hisses at an engineer who doesn’t understand why his boss wants his railroad to loop around flat terrain. “This never-ending money-gushing nipple pays me $1,600 a mile, yet you build my road straight?”

Durant is a vicious bully who revels in his own greed and cruelty, but in a caricatured, small-bore way that makes it almost impossible not to think longingly of Ian McShane’s portrait of Al Swearengen, the twisted, charismatic villain of “Deadwood.”
    As Bohannon, Mr. Mount has an easier time — his is a spaghetti western kind of role that mostly requires long, hostile stares and longer verbal pauses — and the actor looks quite a bit like Franco Nero in the era of “Django.” Ms. McElligott is equally watchable as Lily, who, despite all her breeding, adapts quite quickly to frontier mores.

However predictable, there are plenty of things to enjoy in “Hell on Wheels,” and sex and violence are only two of them. In a way it’s as paradoxical as its subject: a big, lusty but surprisingly timid look at the bold pioneers and profiteers who ravaged nature to build a nation.

HELL ON WHEELS
    AMC, Sunday nights at 10, Eastern and Pacific times; 9, Central time.
    Produced by Entertainment One and Nomadic Pictures; developed by Endemol USA. Created and written by Joe Gayton and Tony Gayton; Joe Gayton, Tony Gayton, Jeremy Gold, John Shiban and David Von Ancken, executive producers; John Morayniss, Michael Rosenberg, Mike Frislev and Chad Oakes, producers. For AMC: Joel Stillerman, senior vice president for original programming production and digital content; Susie Fitzgerald, senior vice president for scripted programming; Jason Fisher, senior vice president for production.

WITH: Anson Mount (Cullen Bohannon), Common (Elam Ferguson), Dominique McElligott (Lily Bell), Colm Meaney (Durant), Ben Esler (Sean McGinnes), Philip Burke (Mickey McGinnes) and Eddie Spears (Brother Joseph).

• AMC’s ‘Hell On Wheels’ Debuts With 4.4 Mil

AMC’s newest series, period Western Hell On Wheels, was off to a strong start last night. It drew 4.4 million viewers and ranked as the cable network’s second-highest-rated series premiere behind mega-hit The Walking Dead, which opened with 5.3 million last fall, in total viewers as well as adults 18-49 and 25-54. Hell On Wheels is young-skewing, drawing more adults 18-49 viewers (2.4 million) than adults 25-54 (2.3 million). “I congratulate the entire cast and crew of Hell On Wheels for pulling off a project of this scope,” AMC president Charlie Collier said. “Bringing the grandeur of the Old West and the building of the railroad to life is no small feat and the Gaytons, with their team, have delivered a beautiful world of which we are all so proud.” The eOne-produced Hell On Wheels, set in post-Civil War America circa 1865, was created and written by Joe and Tony Gayton.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/1…eels-debuts-with-4-4-mil/

• I thought that I would never again believe anything I ever read in the New York Times, but this review is on the nose. The comparison to "Deadwood" is inevitable and "Hell" falls short on every level. It is quite graphically violent and racism abounds, as in "Deadwood", but the characters haven't found themselves quite yet. I'm willing to watch a few more times to see what develops, but if it doesn't become more complex and original. it won't be around much longer.
    I miss Duke.

We deal in lead, friend.

• It is quite graphically violent and racism abounds, as in "Deadwood", but the characters haven't found themselves quite yet. I'm willing to watch a few more times to see what develops, but if it doesn't become more complex and original. it won't be around much longer.

I really liked the first episode. As it was only an hour long, the characters havn't the time to develope yet, but I am sure they will. Usually, the first episode of any show is mainly used to introduce the characters and lay the base for the stories behind them. I'm hooked so far.

There is one difference between this show and Deadwood. No cussin' :wink_smile:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I was very interested in this series because of Colm Meaney and his connection with ST:TNG. He of course was in movies, but I really like him as an actor and wanted to see it because of that. I have seen the first two episodes and it looks like a great build up for a very good series. Love this history and the title is based on the fact that the historical porject was known as "Hell on Wheels." I think it will be a big hit, but wish it would tone down all that graphic violence. I guess they want to make it as realistic as possible, but I think sometimes they may over do it. Good show so far. Can't wait to see the next one tonight.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I wasn't thrilled with the first episode, but the followups have been better IMHO and I'm hooked. I hated Deadwood due to the language, so I really can't compare the two.

• AMC Renews ‘Hell On Wheels’ For Season 2

I’ve learned that AMC has renewed its newest series, period Western Hell On Wheels, for a second season. That means that 5 out of the network’s 6 original scripted series to date have now gone beyond their maiden season.

Hell On Wheels, developed by Endemol USA and produced by Entertainment One, got off to a strong start in November. It debuted with 4.4 million viewers, ranking as AMC’s second-highest-rated series premiere behind mega-hit The Walking Dead in total viewers as well as adults 18-49 and 25-54. Hell On Wheels has slipped since but consistently delivers more than 2 million viewers in first-run broadcasts, most recently 2.3 million last week.

The series has aired 7 episodes of its freshman series to date, with Episode 8 slated for Jan. 1. Hell On Wheels is set in post-Civil War America circa 1865 and centers on a Confederate soldier (Anson Mount) who sets out to exact revenge on the Union soldiers who killed his wife.

The series was created Joe and Tony Gayton who are executive producing with Endemol USA’s Jeremy Gold and showrunner John Shiban. David Von Ancken, who directed the pilot, also serves as an executive producer on the current first season. eOne’s Michael Rosenberg oversees production.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/1…ls-for-season-2/#comments