Duke's Movie Soundtracks- Past Discussion (Archive)

There are 135 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 31,171 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Music has a way of touching our emotions when we watch a moive. Some great composers have really made that special touch in Duke's movies. Victor Young has composed (8) eight movies, Roy Webb has (7) seven. Max Steiner did (3) three, Emil Newman did (3) three, Dimitri Tiomkin composed (6) six, just to name a few.

:rolleyes:

I have a collection of music from Elmer Bernstien (composed 8) that has quite a selection from movies Duke starred in. I really liked the music from The Commancheros. The Sons from Katie Elder is also a good one. Maybe there is one that stands out to you.

;)

I have to say that Hondo from Emil Newman gives me the chills, everytime I hear that theme music.

:P

What is your favorite theme music? You might have to pull out those videos to watch and listen before responding.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Chisum, The Searchers, The Alamo, and the Quiet Man

Monique

• My favorite is " The Searchers ", but a very close runnerup is from " The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance ". With some others being "Rio Bravo", "Red River".

Ethan

Don't Believe In Surrenders!!!!!

• I like the music in True Grit, The Searchers, The Quiet Man and The Sons of Katie Elder.

I think the scences at the beginning and end of the Searchers where there is no dialogue just music and the song of the Searchers playing is excellent.

The music at the start of the Sons Of Katie Elder is brilliant because its Dukes comeback movie and the music alerts you to the fact that your going to see something specail.

In the Comancheroes when Duke is out in the wide open country rideing and the music is playing it is just so traditional and exactly what you want to see .....and hear. ;)

Music in "The Quiet Man" is used extensively and always to great effect you only have to watch the movie to understand.

One negative factor regarding music is that there are far too many songs in films like Rio Grande and it dilutes the story a little, although I am sure I am going to get some heavy critism for that statement. :huh:

B)

Regards
    Robbie

• robbie,

well for once i have to agree with you about the music in some of the movies is to much and takes away from the movie but we should thank our lucky stars jw didn't make a movie like seven brides for seven brothers with all that music. yuk
    i have found also that some times the music becomes so loud that you can't hear the dialog from the actors has that happened to anyone elses movies?

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi again,
    It's funny being a John Wayne fan. The reason I'm saying this is because my favorite John Wayne movie of all time is Chisum. So when asked my favorite Theme it is easy, The one from Chisum. :D
    But right now I'm watching Hatari! on TV as I'm typing this. The Henri Mancini songs carry the movie so well. :lol:
    Like watching The Quiet Man and the way the theme goes through the whole movie. :P
    So I guess the proper reply to my favorite John Wayne movie or music theme would be "The one I'm watching now" because it changes from movie to movie ;)

Monique ;)

• hi all,
    I really like chisum, The Sons of Katie Elder, How The west was won and The Horse soldiers and also The Comancheros.

• Mrs. Chester here, enjoying the "lazy" days of summer! Not so lazy, really, but when you home school your kids, summer is when you can call mornings your own. Come September, we will be knee deep in lessons by this time of day.

But for now . . .

I really like the music from The Sons of Katie Elder, and find the song near the end of The Alamo simply haunting. Music from The Searchers is very moving as well. It is interesting to me, the different emotions the music can evoke.

Mrs. Chester

• Elmere Bernstien did so many great compositions for so many movies. I really am moved to the movie To Kill A Monkingbird. When I hear Bernstein's music in Duke's movies, I listen with great enjoyment. The Comancheros, True Grit, The Sons of Katie Elder, just to name a few of his compositions.

I like Victor Young also. He did the music for The Quiet Man.

You new ones, tell us some of your favorite movie music.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• All of these are great. But one of my favorites not listed so far is the tune for The Cowboys. I find myself whistleing it to myself sometimes. dukefan1

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Dukefan1,

Do you know who the composer was for that movie. I will have to go and see the movie. For the life of me, I can't remember the music of that movie

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• Hondo :rolleyes:
    I just looked it up on the IMDB and their is no listing for the composer :angry:

Monique ;)

• Having recently had the privilege of being able to watch The High and the Mighty, I realized that a tune I have loved for years is from that movie. The theme music, which John whistles, is beautiful. Somebody posted, in another thread, that JW liked to whistle that tune when he flew, until there was some problem on a flight he was on; he didn't do it after that.

Mrs. Chester :rolleyes:

• Hondo, I just checked my copy of The films Of John Wayne by Mark Ricci, Boris and Steve Zmijewsky and it credits John Williams for the music. I don't have the soundtrack so I can't check that. Hope this helps. dukefan1

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "