Duke's Movie Soundtracks

There are 82 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 84,918 times. The latest Post () was by may2.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I concur. This 3 disc re-recording of "The Alamo" is all we're ever going to get of the complete score. There's about two and one half hours of music from the film itself - including the deleted scenes. Some of the alternate cues are interesting too.
    Have to play it a few more times.

We deal in lead,friend.

• The War Wagon! Cool! Now I have to see if I can get a copy! I would like to have the "John Wayne's West in Music and Poster Art" but the price is just way too high, especially since I already have all the trailers and most of the music. If I am not mistaken, the music is taken straight from the films? If so, then I am afraid I will just have to pass on it until the price comes way WAY down. Thanks for the heads up on the War Wagon though! I have the original soundtrack, by Nelson Riddle, and also the Dimitri Tiompkin 3 Disc set which has a few War Wagon pieces, but this one seems to have it all!

Also, if you all haven't yet received the 3 disc Alamo, the Hellfighters and Legend of the Lost CDs, I highly recommend them all! I would also recommend Mike Boltz's (I think that's how you spell his name) CD of the Alamo tribute. A very good companion CD to the soundtrack CDs.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Sorry if I'm repeating what has gone before!

There have been a batch of Duke soundtracks released of late, most limited editions, including:

North to Alaska (Intrada)
    Hellfighters (Intrada)
    Legend of the Lost (Kritzerland)
    Barbarian and the Geisha (Kritzerland)

Good to see some are filling the non-western gaps.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Just a heads up if anyone is interested. The score to Sands of Iwo Jima has been remastered and released on Limited edition CD. Doubled up with my favourite Island in the Sky!

• The music for Hatari does have a score for most scenes one is called Big Bwana next one Just for Tonight is the piece of music you hear just before Dallas hears from Sean that they voted her to stay. And Fathers Feathers thats the one when the ostriches escape as well as the Hatari theme I have had them about three years now downloaded them.

Thanks Rocklin, I just posted about the Just for Tonight song. No answer to the question. It is a really easy one, LOL....why I chose it for the first one. Didn't realize those other names. Going to try to find the score on YouTube. Sure enjoy the music while watching the movie though. Cya, Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• I'll upload the track listing from the remastered CD that has just been released as I think it has bonus tracks!

Hope that means what I think it does, LOL. Did you see what Gorch wrote? Hope he likes it this time. :wink_smile: Keith

• Here's the blurb from the Intrada website re the Hatari CD, plus track listing.

Special Collection Volume 200 is neat milestone! World premiere release of actual Henry Mancini soundtrack to terrific Howard Hawks adventure film set in Africa, starring John Wayne, Elsa Martinelli, Red Buttons. Wayne and company capture rare animals for various world zoos. Some species are easier to catch than others. Elephants inspire Mancini to create legendary tune "Baby Elephant Walk", available for first time ever in its original soundtrack guise. Famous swaggering tune for high register Eb clarinet also figures during climactic "Search For Dallas". Leopard, buffalo, monkey, giraffe, ostrich all get their say but incredibly dangerous rhino sequences are what bring out Mancini's equally legendary main theme, often heard on choir of French horns in unison. In 1962, Mancini re-recorded just 30 minutes of highlights for admittedly sensational RCA album. In companionship with that album, now enjoy Mancini's complete original recordings, presented mostly in stereo from Paramount Pictures scoring session elements. A few sections required use of mono stems to allow restoration of complete soundtrack. This new hour long release carries landmark significance: every Mancini album during this most famous period of his career (Breakfast At Tiffany's, Hatari, Charade, Experiment In Terror, The Pink Panther) was heavily truncated and completely re-arranged with emphasis on dance mood. Along with new release of Charade, this marks exciting debut of an actual Mancini soundtrack from the era! Danger, romance, thrills, comedy, all getting rich Mancini melody! Unforgettable original campaign artwork is icing on the cake. Henry Mancini conducts. Available while quantities and interest remain.

01. The Sounds Of Hatari 4:17
    02. Main Title 2:35
    03. Safari Bar Piano Blues 1:24
    04. Giraffe Country 1:34
    05. Just For Tonight (Instrumental) 2:10
    06. Paraphrase I 1:40
    07. Night Side 2:35
    08. Dallas Has A Plan 1:31
    09. Trip To Masai Wells 1:06
    10. Indian Comes Home 0:58
    11. Just For Tonight (Solo Piano) 2:24
    12. Swift Animal Chase 0:49
    13. Dead Elephant 0:37
    14. Night Side (Record Player) 2:19
    15. Leopard And Buffalo 1:51
    16. The Crocodile 1:08
    17. Your Father’s Feathers 1:50
    18. Baby Elephant Walk (Short) 1:57
    19. Crocodile, Go Home! 1:10
    20. Big Band Bwana 1:46
    21. Paraphrase II 1:26
    22. Wildebeest Hunt 2:36
    23. Brandy Sniffer 2:09
    24. Ice Bucket Blues 1:42
    25. Monkey Suits 2:04
    26. Baby Elephant Walk (Long) 3:14
    27. Elephant Scare 0:49
    28. More Rhino 0:53
    29. Burnt Fingers 2:59
    30. Search For Dallas 4:23
    31. Just For Tonight (Chorus) 2:10
    32. Finale 0:19

• Thanks to my friends for pointing out the extensive score to "Hatari". I haven't had the time to revisit the movie and music, but will do so soon.
    I know that the score played through in the film, but my point was that it wasn't effective for me.
    As counterpoint, I posted that "The Great Escape" will be shown theatrically. Now that is a film with one hell of a score with a rousing main title march theme that immediately sets the indomitable resolve of the POWs against the tuba accentuated authoritarianism of their German captors.
    There are themes for several of the individual characters (Blythe, Ives, etc.) that heighten their scenes; a claustrophobic motif whenever the gates close or the guard towers are shown; and a wild, thumping theme for Hilts racing for freedom on his motorcycle.
    The music in this film permeates the viewing experience. I didn't catch that from "Hatari".
    Of course, every once in a while I'm wrong, so I'll view it again with my ears and mind open.
    Not tomorrow though. I discovered that the remastered "Lawrence of Arabia" is being screened for one day only. I'll pack my sunblock and canteen and head for Aquaba.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Here's the cd track listing. It looks like its already sold out!

SANDS OF IWO JIMA (Victor Young) 1. Main Title 0:59 2. Sweet Memories 0:38 3. At the Dancing Club 1:20 4. Private First Class Peter in Love 2:17 5. Training Camp Music 1:06 6. First Mission on the Front 1:40 7. The Battle of Tarawa Island 4:45 8. Dead Soldiers Tribute 2:22 9. Mary and her Baby 2:56 10. The War Goes On 1:30 11. The Assault on Iwo Jima 4:30 12. The Trenches 1:37 13. Cries in the Night 2:13 14. Mount Suribachi Victory 3:52 15. Marines’ March Reprise 1:48

• Finally got round to listening to the new CD release of Sands of Iwo Jima.
    Unfortunately the source material seems to be from the film and it is quite poor.
    Obviously in mono and very flat. Shame but not anything they could do more with the original material.
    It'd be great to have a re-recording similar to the fantastic 3 disc Alamo release.

• Sorry Peter, I know you were looking forward to it. KP

Finally got round to listening to the new CD release of Sands of Iwo Jima.
    Unfortunately the source material seems to be from the film and it is quite poor.
    Obviously in mono and very flat. Shame but not anything they could do more with the original material.
    It'd be great to have a re-recording similar to the fantastic 3 disc Alamo release.

• O.K., I see, I don´t have to buy this CD. I was looking forward to it too...

A few days ago I bought the complete and remastered soundtrack of "Hatari". This is a great CD, You should listen!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• A bunch of us have and agree wholeheartedly with you. It usually sells out rapidly STILL. I play it as background to post music, LOL! Glad you liked it Dukesfan. Do you think you could do me a big favor and put that in the Group Watch. You might look back over it....some good screen catches in it although you might have to go back a few pages. Still have half a month on Hatari. Haven't got to the good stuff really yet. And there are sketch prizes. If you win something and you don't see a sketch you would like, send me the one you want.

HAGO, Keith (or Lady Hawk as Gorch and Dooley have dubbed me, LOL)

Might check out the sketch page....I MAY have found something in the end of THE SHOOTIST that no one has ever seen. OR NOT, LOL!

• O.K., I see, I don´t have to buy this CD. I was looking forward to it too...

A few days ago I bought the complete and remastered soundtrack of "Hatari". This is a great CD, You should listen!

I have it and agree wholeheartedly. :wink_smile: