Maureen O'Hara- Biography & Discussion

There are 251 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 272,950 times. The latest Post () was by may2.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I vaguely remember reading in the mid-sixties that O'Hara and Wayne were to paired up for the movie "Yours, Mine and Ours' which was eventually made with Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda, then became the inspiration for 'The Brady Bunch'

i have got to say that if JW and MH would have made YOURS MINE AND OURS it would have been great. and im sure im probably biased but i did like henry fonda and lucille ball in it but i think Duke and O'Hara could have totally pulled it off.
    :teeth_smile:

• That is sad news, she is a very nice lady. She sent me 3 autographed pictures of herself and Duke. The best one is a color still from Big Jake. She also sent me a nice note, she really enjoyed working with Duke. They made a great on screen couple. John Ford really liked her also.

:film: " When the legend becomes fact print the legend"

• I wonder if John Ford was just to jealous?? I think sometimes he wanted to be the movie star in front of the camera, and not the director behind the camera????
    Andy:yeaahh:

• Hi

I read or heard some time ago that particularly in the wet shirt scene from the Quiet Man Ford was getting Wayne to do all the things to Maureen that he wanted to do, a bit voyeuristic and sad really.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Edited once, last by arthurarnell ().

• I just stumbled upon an interesting article about Maureen O'Hara, in the Irish Echo Online, apparently written a few days before her birthday this past August.

I'd love to know if any of our Irish members are familiar with the Maureen O'Hara Legacy Center which, according to the article, may open in 2011.

Chester :newyear:

• Have any of you been to my official Maureen O'Hara website? The "Maureen O'Hara Magazine?" It's been published since 1994. We have current photos of Maureen and about 45 pages profiling her life and career.

Right now we are working on the establishment of the Maureen O'Hara Legacy Center in Glengarriff - County Cork - Ireland. It's really going to be wonderful.

In March Loopline Films of Dublin are releasing a documentary on "The Quiet Man - Milestone or Millstone" with an exclusive interview from Maureen. The crew came to the US to interview fans and movie people here so we will be getting opinions from both sides of the pond. You will be amazed at the difference of opinion of the film.

• This is a great site, I have been on many times-June you do a great job on your web site, it is always changing and being updated.
    Thank You
    Andy from Ohio

• On the Maureen O'Hara Legacy Center, if you check my official Maureen O'Hara website (Maureen O'Hara Magazine) you will find more information. We are hoping to have it opened by 2011. A big fund raiser was held in NYC with Michael Flatley as the host on Sept. 30th. I have a You-Tube video of that event on the cover page. I have over 45 pages devoted to Maureen's life and career that has been published on the Internet since 1994. Maureen endorses my efforts and I keep in touch with her on a weekly basis. She's happily retired in Glengarriff, County Cork, Ireland and looking forward to the Holidays. We have photos of Maureen taken in Sept. 2009.

• Hi MODesign,

Thanks for joining us,
    I have officially welcomed you on our dedicated welcome thread.

I have copied your post over from ther old thead
    to this the new dedicated forum for Maureen.
    Thanks for your updates, and hope to hear more from you.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I'm currently producing a special edition DVD for THE DEADLY COMPANIONS, Sam Peckinpah's first feature produced by O'Hara's brother, co-starring Brian Keith.

It will be the only release worldwide with supplements:
    - featurette 'Passion & Poetry - The Early Sam' (english)
    - rare theatrical trailer
    - galleries with over 100 stills & posters
    - Audio-commentary (german)
    - booklet (german)

will be back with more details and images...

• I have an interesting Maureen O'Hara story. I was in the Home Depot in Marina Del Rey, CA (this is near the beach, and close to Playa Del Rey, Santa Monica, Venice and Culver City, and is where entertainment types who live there go) and I happened to glance down an aisle. What I saw was a women in a big floppy hat and over-sized dark sunglasses, pushing a cart full of cabinet supplies and hinges! I came over to her and quietly said "Excuse me, but aren't you Maureen O'Hara?" and she replied in that lilting Irish voice..."WHO WANTS TA KNOW?..." We talked for nearly an hour about Duke, the old days, John Ford, all the old gang, and why she had that get-up on. It turns out she got stopped a lot in stores by folks just trying to "get into the business," or trying to push a project, so she started going out like that to be noticed less. While it's true that in that time (9/1997) a lot of younger folks would not have known who she was without prompting, that classic beauty was still VERY present at that age (77). Man, she has ALWAYS been a looker!