Maureen O'Hara- Biography & Discussion

There are 251 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 271,707 times. The latest Post () was by may2.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• this story about maureen o hara appeared in an irish news paper on sunday.QUIET MAN icon Maureen O'Hara is at the centre of a bitter row that has seen members of own family threatened with legal gags after they expressed concern about her well-being to the HSE.The Sunday World has learned that the 92-year-old acting legend was visited by social workers responsible for protection of the elderly as part of a heated battle which has rocked the west Cork community of Glengariff where she lives.
    The battle centres around disagreements between the screen legend's family and her PA Carolyn Murphy who has been given power of attorney over her affairs. Family members are furious at what they claim are pressures being piled on the frail star.
    Warring O'Haras

LEGEND: Family members have expressed concern about the well-being of Maureen

HOLLYWOOD legend Maureen O'Hara is at the centre of a bitter row threatening to ruin her twilight years and which has divided the west Cork haven of Glengarriff in two. The family of the 92-year old former firebrand - who played the newlywed Mary Kate Danaher in The Quiet Man with John Wayne - is warring with Maureen's personal assistant Carolyn MurphyMs Murphy, who has power of attorney, has threatened to gag family members in a defamation lawsuit. Cork West TD, Noel Harrington, said he was "disappointed" to hear of the dispute, which has also seen the resignation of three founding members of the Maureen O'Hara Foundation.
    The ferocious dispute is reputed to have begun after members of Maureen's family became concerned by the amount of appearances requested of the ageing actress to promote the foundation, claiming it was taking too severe a toll.
    At its lowest point, frail Maureen, who now lives in west Cork and who has type 2 diabetes, was quizzed by a social worker responsible for protecting the elderly following serious allegations we cannot repeat for legal reasons.
    Pressure

But HSE social worker Cathy O'Regan found that the leading lady was well. "Maureen made it clear that no-one puts pressure on her," she stated categorically in a report last month which also claimed that Maureen suffers from "short-term memory loss".

• :wink_smile:

Thank you Ringo kid for that information which is very important for me because I will have the opportunity to meet Carolyn next month during a stay in Ireland.
    Thank you for keeping us informed of the outcome of events.
    cordially

PS.
    Can you give us the name of the newspaper that published this information?

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

Edited once, last by Romy ().

• Just to inform you that Ms. O'Hara is currently 91. She will be 92 in August 17 and born in 1920. Maybe picky, but she might be offended.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Here's an article from "Irish Central";

Fiery Maureen O’Hara rejects all claims that she is the victim of elder abuse

“Quiet Man” legend offers full support to personal assistant after claims

By PATRICK COUNIHAN,
    IrishCentral.com Staff Writer

Published Sunday, May 13, 2012, 7:33 AM
    Updated Sunday, May 13, 2012, 8:04 AM

swf+Maureen+O+Hara2.jpg
    Beloved Irish actress Maureen O'Hara
    Photo by Google Images

Screen legend Maureen O’Hara has angrily rejected all claims that that she is a victim of "elder abuse" after her personal assistant was quizzed by social workers over her demanding schedule.
    The 92-year-old 'Quiet Man' beauty has been forced to make a public statement denouncing the "scandalous" accusations that Carolyn Murphy is working her too hard.
    Murphy was given power of attorney over O’Hara’s affairs in 2006 and was recently questions by the Irish Health Authority over claims that she is making too many demands on O’Hara.
    “This is coming from people with nothing better to do, there is nothing scandalous about us or our behaviour, or what we are trying to do,” O’Hara told Ireland’s Sunday Independent newspaper from her home in scenic Glengarriff, Co Cork.
    The row has thrown a shadow over the London launch of the Maureen O’Hara Foundation at a reception in the Irish Embassy on Tuesday.
    O’Hara also told the paper that she had no difficulty handing over power of attorney to her "friend" Carolyn Murphy.
    She explained how the two women met in 1978 when Murphy and her wealthy American husband retired to Ireland and settled in Glengarriff where they met O’Hara.
    Murphy, who confirmed that the actress will not attend the London event and never planned to, spoke to the paper of her anger at the accusations made against her.
    “I was very upset, not only for myself, but I have always put Maureen and the family first,” said Murphy.
    “The HSE (health authority) came out and I co-operated with them, I have nothing to fear, I am around Maureen for the last six to eight years, I wasn’t frightened. The HSE came to me for a couple of hours and the case is closed.
    “She doesn’t mind events, obviously there are a lot of people who want her to go to different things and when she wants to go she goes and when she doesn’t want to go, nobody is going to force her.
    “Maureen always likes to look her best and she makes a big effort to look good and that is often tiring.”
    O’Hara again confirmed on Sunday that she is fully supportive of the Maureen O’Hara Foundation, which has the twin aims of creating an international film academy and an educational facility for Irish children.
    “I want to get it going and make it a place where young people will get support,” she said. “It is to teach them to act and speak right and have the confidence in themselves to go for it.”
    Murphy also outlined how the pair’s friendship blossomed over the years and outlined how she only became Ms O’Hara’s personal assistant in 2004 and was given power of attorney in 2006.
    “It was offered to a family member who declined,” said Murphy. “Basically, she needed extra help and I felt very honoured and very happy to take this role seriously”.

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/ne…288915.html#ixzz1un3XuxTC

• Oh, dear. I fear this may be an unpopular view of Ms O'Hara, but after reading her biography, I suspect she has a great deal of denial about, well, everything in her life. She could have a great deal of faith in the person to whom she has given her power of attorney, but without checks and balances, it could be a grave mistake.

Ms O'Hara was the victim of financial abuse by her second husband, Mr Price, and by her business manager as well. :broken_heart: She does not seem to have learned by her mistakes. It's always good business for all parties to set limits. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case here, and whenever that happens someone usually takes advantage. Unlimited power of attorney is dangerous when given to anyone outside one's family. It can be a dangerous tool if given to an unscrupulous family member as well.

This is an unfortunate turn of events. :sad_smile: I hope and pray for the best outcome for Ms O'Hara.

We're burning moonlight.

I think it is unnecessary to dwell on a private matter that does not concern us. In addition, written allegations here and there are only rumors.

Do not add any!

Edited once, last by Romy ().

I have two knowledgeable sources who confirmed the separation between Maureen and Carolyn.:sad_smile:

The duo seemed, yet, well to balance.

Hopefully, now, that Maureen found serenity in her family ...

• Whatever is in Ms O'Hara's best interest would be my opinion, if it were any of my business. I wish her only the greatest health, good fortune and only good things in her life.

We're burning moonlight.

• There are new pictures of her today on the Irish site for restitution of the cottage from the Quiet Man. Apparently they have done a lot to the RR station already? I just learned about this today. Will have to get involved I suppose...always do, LOL. KPKEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• I know Keith. I have seen the White O Morn pages pop up. That is why I checked it out and found new pics of Maureen just about 6 hours old and thought yall would want to see them. I also saw a lot of things like "Thanks to White O Morn USA"! Sue didn't think Patrick's site was being very good to "ours"....here I am a week and I am making myself an "our" already, LOL. Anyway, I got her to the site,and she saw the pics of Maureen that I had mentioned yesterday. So, I LIKED the site all over Facebook....yours...I mean OURS yesterday.
    Since I don't think I have talked to Colorado Bob yet, Sue thought I should PM him. I have done a ton of high dollar fund raising and would like to help. There were only four members shown on your site, but I clicked that I would like to be a member.....nothing popped up to fill in, and I can't find that I am one. Might want to fix that since there are only about fifty some odd LIKES out of the whole JWMB after what, NINE years? Just suggestions. I really am good at things like this and really do want to be a working part of our effort. Told Sue I did not want to step on toes....I think that is why she said I should contact Colorado Bob.
    Did you see my pics on my albums and read the text? My posts on Sinatra were from direct involvement, LOL. Too bad Gibbons wasn't a Western Fan,or I would have met so many I could have used for my book. I was in The Springs around 1975. Get some sleep, Kiddo, Keith...the other one.

• Might want to fix that since there are only about fifty some odd LIKES out of the whole JWMB after what, NINE years?

Hey, KP, I think I got our/your wires a little crossed. This forum has been here, in its generally present form, for almost 10 years. However, our presence on Facebook (JWMB and White O'Morn Foundation USA) are much less than that. The WO'MFUSA is just on FB for a couple of months, JWMB longer, but sadly we have not really given it the attention we should . . . just too much to do!

We sure are enjoying your interesting posts, and the text that goes with the pics in your album. For the rest of you, if you haven't had a chance, you should check out Hawkswill's photo albums!

Mrs. C :angel1:

• If I didn't know any better, I might think you two Keiths were talking to yourselves. :wink_smile:

Yes us two Keith's are now ganging up
    so just in case no one is listening to us,
    we can at least talk to one another!

Keith, one of the reasons there has not been
    an influx of JWMB members joining us on the White O'Morn
    project, is mainly due to the fact that,
    whilst there are many Duke fans out there
    not many, it would appear, are so passionate about The Quiet Man.
    After all many Duke fans are maybe just fans of his westerns etc.
    I have asked a few times, alas to no avail, for more members to join us.

However Colorado Bob, Chester and myself
    have spent many hours off the scenes with many emails
    relating to the project, and it is an ongoing thing.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• After having talked to Sue, I realize how much work yall have done. I read back where everyone was afraid the project would have to be dropped. That is why I thought my post on Maureen would get yall scrambling to see what Patrick's might be saying.
    I am looking down the road here. It is MUCH easier to get outside backer money if your project has tons of LIKES AND members. I have spoken to one here already and asked him to LIKE White of Morn and ask all of his buddies to do the same. As for members, you may not have any, because I do not believe the sign up is working. I tried to join and didn't get anything....last time I looked, I was still not a member. If so, need to get that fixed if I am to go around trying to get members, LOL! So, I want to be a big part of this deal. I have had a great deal of experience with large fundraisers both in golf and in Easter Seals. So USE me! Let's make sure the member sign up is working and I will work on getting you LIKES too. I have over 600 friends on FB....and they have MANY MORE.....we could go from fifty something likes to thousands in no time at all! And I feel sure we will pick up some members along the way. Do they have to be on the JWMB to join? Thanks Keither......., some of the boys that used to work for me fondly called me that....that and KEISTER, LOL.....won't do that to YOU! KPKEITH

• Well, now. I read everything that's written here. I hadn't anything to add.

BTW, if one desired to contribute to the White of Morn Foundation via PayPal, is that possible? I searched the page but failed to find a link. I dislike Facebook and don't Twitter. Please, do tell, friends Keith.

We're burning moonlight.