John Ford

There are 173 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 133,904 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Originally posted by B5Erik@Jun 25 2006, 11:24 PM
    The only one that I was a little let down by was The Long Voyage Home. The Duke really seemed miscast, and Ford didn't really use him all that much in it. The movie itself was erratically paced (which makes sense since it was based on 4 separate short stories), and the last segment was painfully slow and obvious in spots. The movie had it's moments, though (I don't want to give anything away, so I won't give specifics), and it was very well acted.

erik - I agree with you, this 10-disc set from Warners is TOP-NOTCH! As for 'The Long Voyage Home', I felt the same way as you after watching it for the first time. Seeing how John Wayne is plastered all over the artwork on the movie poster, you'd think he had the starring role...while in actuality, it's an emsemble piece. I think you will find yourself appreciating the film more and more on subsequent viewings. The cinematography by Gregg Toland is breath-takingly beautiful, and the actors are excellent in their roles.

As for me, I've only had a chance to watch 'The Long Voyage Home', 'Fort Apache', and 'The Wings Of Eagles' from the set so far (lots going on this summer). I'm looking forward to watching 'The Seachers' and 'Stagecoach' next. After reading all the rave reviews on the restoration job of 'The Searchers', I know I'm in for a real treat!

• Yes, you guys are correct on the restoration of "The Searchers". It is magnificent. And its looks even better on my new 50 inch Plasma TV that I got a month ago.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Howdy All,
    I picked up my set about a week ago, and I'm still going through all the special features. I can't believe everything that comes with this set. It is absolutely amazing, and I would very definitely recommend it for inclusion in anyone's John Wayne collection. I love it.
    Best,
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Hi all

I got my set yesterday, and agree with everything
    that has been said regarding it.

Bo, John Ford looks to be really enjoying that beer.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• I just got my "The Searchers" movie poster in the mail yesterday, it was free except for postage and handling. All I will say is WOW. Even my wife and kids who usually could care less about the little memorbilia things said, "What a nice looking poster". Well, now I have to save my pennies as it will be rather expensive to frame this one, its allot bigger then I was expecting, but I think it will be worth it.

-John Wayne

Originally posted by SXViper@Jul 22 2006, 08:33 AM
    I just got my "The Searchers" movie poster in the mail yesterday, it was free except for postage and handling. All I will say is WOW. Even my wife and kids who usually could care less about the little memorbilia things said, "What a nice looking poster". Well, now I have to save my pennies as it will be rather expensive to frame this one, its allot bigger then I was expecting, but I think it will be worth it.

[snapback]33111[/snapback]

That's good to know! Hopefully, mine will be arriving shortly too...

• Did anyone catch "Directed By John Ford" on AMC last night? It's the updated version of Bogdonavich's documentary on Ford & it has multiple vintage interviews with John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, Maureen O'Hara, Harry Carey, Jr., etc. Loads of clips & discussions on Ford. It was very interesting.

Originally posted by Dexter Woodruff@Nov 9 2006, 12:01 AM
    Did anyone catch "Directed By John Ford" on AMC last night? It's the updated version of Bogdonavich's documentary on Ford & it has multiple vintage interviews with John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, Maureen O'Hara, Harry Carey, Jr., etc. Loads of clips & discussions on Ford. It was very interesting.

[snapback]36771[/snapback]

I caught part of it. I wonder if it is out somewhere either as a "extra" on a DVD or a actual DVD title. I would like to add the to my collection.

-John Wayne

• I checked out the title on IMDb and here's an interesting bit of information - they show that the next US TV airing of it will be Tuesday, November 21, at 10 PM on TCM (we don't have cable, so I'm not sure what TCM is, but I'm sure those of you who do have cable recognize it). Looks like an opportunity to record it.

My guess is that it might eventually be an extra on a DVD, if it isn't already.

Chester :newyear:

• Hey Chester,

TCM is Turner Classic Movies. They show classic movies. It is a good station. They show a lot of documentaries of actors, directors, and etc. The movies come from every where, and they are uncut, unedited, and uncommercial. A must see around Christmas with showing all Christmas movies in December, and Horror movies in October.

Hope to catch the John Ford story myself, keep missing it.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• TCM is showing the John Wayne/John Ford Cavalry Trilogy beginning in just a few minutes. First up is, Fort Apache, followed by She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and then, Rio Grande. I'm not sure but, I think this might be the first time in a long while that all three have been shown back to back to back.

Oops, check that. Immediately after Rio Grande, The Horse Soldiers will be shown. So make that the Wayne/Ford Cavalry Quadrology(if there's such a word).

• I realize this is still a week away, but wanted to bump this to the top, so those who might have missed it the first time around, can mark their calendars and catch the showing on the 21st.

BTW, thanks, Hondo, for the "education" :D . Sure wish we could pick and choose just a few channels and pay just a few $$$ a month, then maybe we might have cable.

Chester :newyear:

Originally posted by WaynamoJim@Nov 14 2006, 08:25 PM
    TCM is showing the John Wayne/John Ford Cavalry Trilogy beginning in just a few minutes. First up is, Fort Apache, followed by She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and then, Rio Grande. I'm not sure but, I think this might be the first time in a long while that all three have been shown back to back to back.

Oops, check that. Immediately after Rio Grande, The Horse Soldiers will be shown. So make that the Wayne/Ford Cavalry Quadrology(if there's such a word).

[snapback]36969[/snapback]

Saw most of it before I tired and had to go to bed. :rolleyes::) As always, these movies were nice to watch.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• You guys are killing me! I can't find this collection anywhere near where I live. I had it on ebay and I posted my bid with one minute left and guess what, I was outbidded and didn't have enough time to post another bid and at that time that was the cheapest I have seen it!

Stay thirsty my friends.

• You guys are killing me! I can't find this collection anywhere near where I live. I had it on ebay and I posted my bid with one minute left and guess what, I was outbidded and didn't have enough time to post another bid and at that time that was the cheapest I have seen it!

Sounds like you got "sniped" gt12pak.

Just keep searching and you will find it. Have you looked over on Deep Discount? They should have it.

-John Wayne

• I may have got sniped, especially when I thought I was sniping, but he paid a couple of dollars more than he wanted too. Haven't tried deep discount yet, that might be my next stop.

Stay thirsty my friends.