True Grit (2010)

There are 484 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 261,852 times. The latest Post () was by Moonshine_Sally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I regret that my humor attempt wasn't more transparent, but I'm new here and I'll learn.

Actually there is a Mel Brooks/John Wayne connection that is probably posted on a thread I haven't read yet. Brooks had sent Wayne a copy of the Blazing Saddles script wanting him to play the Waco Kid. Wayne turned Brooks down but said it was the funniest script he's ever read.

Something to think about.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Anyone care to add or to cast the newly announced Mel Brooks remake of The Alamo?

I do hope this an attempt at humor. :fear2:

I regret that my humor attempt wasn't more transparent, but I'm new here and I'll learn.

Actually there is a Mel Brooks/John Wayne connection that is probably posted on a thread I haven't read yet. Brooks had sent Wayne a copy of the Blazing Saddles script wanting him to play the Waco Kid. Wayne turned Brooks down but said it was the funniest script he's ever read.

Hey, Gorch, it's good to know you were, indeed, kidding!!

We have discussed that story about the Duke/Mel Brooks connection, but it's always fun to hear a good story again. (I did a quick search so I could provide the link :teeth_smile:.)

Chester :newyear:

• Thank you for your time and trouble posting that thread.
    I'm sort of getting a handle on this site and feel quite at home here already amongst all you friendly people.

Bill O'Hara aka Gorch

We deal in lead, friend.

• I really wish this movie wouldn't be remade. It's a classic and it's Duke's role and his role alone.

Since it is being remade I really wish Michael Douglas would play Rooster.

• I really wish this movie wouldn't be remade. It's a classic and it's Duke's role and his role alone.

Since it is being remade I really wish Michael Douglas would play Rooster.

I agree, it should never be touched. But, if it is, I can see Brian Dennehy playing the roll. He may be about 70, but I think he would do the part justice.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Looks like the mighty Coen brothers will be making their reboot of the classic 1969 John Wayne western “True Grit” in these them parts, with the shoot revving up in March.

Sources say Joel and Ethan Coen are scouring areas east of Austin, rustic, old-timey places like Elgin, Taylor and Granger (for the railroad there). They’re looking for scrub and farmland and want to be “as close to Austin as possible.”
    “They are seriously, seriously looking,” we are told.

The Coens are no strangers to Austin and Texas. They made their 1984 debut “Blood Simple” in town and shot parts of “No Country for Old Men” in the state.

Matt Damon, Jeff Bridges and Josh Brolin are slated to star in the remake of the revenge tale. The original, an Oscar-winner directed by Henry Hathaway, starred Wayne, Glen Campbell, Robert Duvall and Dennis Hopper. Bridges will inhabit Wayne’s memorable role as Marshall “Rooster” Cogburn.

The Coens are also looking at Utah, Arizona and New Mexico for the film’s finale, a big shootout set in the Rockies. Evidently, Texas just can’t supply that kind of landscape.

The production will be headquartered in Austin. The film is set for a 2011 release.

• If it HAS to be remade, I really don't mind the cast so far. I'm not that crazy about Coen Brother's films tho. In any case I'll wait & see.

• As of yet, the part of Matty has not been cast. According to True West Magazine, they held auditions in Waco, Tx in November, looking for a girl 12-16 yrs of age that can "ride a horse, get dirty and speak her mind".

• So I am assuming that Matt Damon is playing the Glen Cambell role??? This remake just doesn't seem right to me. I got the remake of 3:10 to Yuma. I thought they did a good job but this one is just not sitting well with me for some reason.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• As for me I,am happy their making another western. And if this movie has legs it will stand on its own. Good cast no doubt. And it may draw interest from people who never seen Dukes version to watch it. And once they do that there will be more John Wayne fans.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• So I am assuming that Matt Damon is playing the Glen Cambell role??? This remake just doesn't seem right to me. I got the remake of 3:10 to Yuma. I thought they did a good job but this one is just not sitting well with me for some reason.

Well, from what I read the other day, in the book, the focal point of it was Matty Ross looking for her fathers killer. But in the Duke film, Rooster Cogburn was the focal point. So now, in the new version, the Coens will go by what the book said. Will it work? Who knows? But, it's a western and that's a plus and it's by the Coen brothers and they usually do good stuff.

from what I read the other day, in the book, the focal point of it was Matty Ross looking for her fathers killer. But in the Duke film, Rooster Cogburn was the focal point.

Except for the fate of La Boeuf, and some post story follow-up, the classic movie sticks to the novel pretty well. And in some cases I think the screenwriter even made some improvements. So the "sticking to the novel" part of the new movie just sounds like Hollywood hype.

As for as the Coen Brothers, I'm just not a fan of thier movies. I liked "O Brother Where Art Thou", I thought 'Fargo' was overrated, and I just watched "No Country For Old Men" for the first time the other night...hated it!

I'll give the new "True Grit" a try when it comes out, but as I said before whether I like it or not, the old classic 'aint going anywhere.

• Except for the fate of La Boeuf, and some post story follow-up, the classic movie sticks to the novel pretty well. And in some cases I think the screenwriter even made some improvements. So the "sticking to the novel" part of the new movie just sounds like Hollywood hype.

I couldn't agree with you more. I was quite impressed with how closely the original stuck to the book with, as you indicate, a few instances of poetic license. It sounds like the big deal will supposedly be telling the story from Mattie's point of view, which of course the book did. But I thought the original did a decent job of that as well. Of course, with John Wayne playing Rooster Cogburn, more attention was given to that character.

I don't know that I will rush to the theater to see the remake. I would consider a matinee (I'm too darn cheap to pay full price!), or most likely will wait for the DVD.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• I was a little skeptical until I heard Jeff Bridges had been cast as Rooster, he has been an excellent actor in everything I've seen him in from The Iceman Cometh onwards.