Cowboys & Aliens (2011)

There are 62 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 35,796 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• From the more that I keep reading on this project the more I get interested. I have never read nor heard of the graphic novels before but the cast, director, writers and producers sure have peaked my interest.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Though the artwork in those Graphic Novels isnt done my Jean Gerard and Mobius-sure as heck looks aLOT like their work looking like the work they did when they did the Lieutenant Blueberry GNs.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I'm not familiar with the graphic novels either, but I think I'll stick with my painfully developed policy of avoiding any movie based on a comic book, no matter what you might call it.
    That goes for this summer's upcoming "Jonas Hex" as well. I've been disappointed too many times unless the word of mouth is overpowering.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Exclusive: Why Jon Favreau is Tackling Cowboys & Aliens

Source: Edward Douglas
    April 26, 2010

With the excitement and anticipation for Iron Man 2 building on a daily basis, director Jon Favreau is clearly in very high demand these days, so it was very cool for him (and Paramount) to make time to talk to ComingSoon.net/SuperHeroHype earlier today.

As a preview of our interview with unquestionably the coolest filmmaker on Twitter, we're going to share a little of what he had to say about his next project, Cowboys & Aliens, and a tease for the possibilities of him returning for Iron Man 3.

Favreau's next project is based on the Platinum Studios graphic novel by Scott Rosenberg, although that wasn't necessarily what appealed to the director. "The property isn't what was appealing to me as much as the concept and the script," he told us. "I read a great script and I loved the idea of mashing up those two genres and juxtaposing a very intense alien movie up against a very sincerely played Western. We draw inspiration tonally from movies like 'Close Encounters' and 'Alien' and 'Predator' for the alien side and for the Western side we're looking at John Ford, Leone, and even a little bit of 'Butch and Sundance.'

"Once again, I've been very lucky in exceeding all my expectations in getting Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford and Olivia Wilde," he continued. "We're slowly assembling a cast around this property, and I want to do something mind-blowing and it's a great way to do a Western. I've always dreamed of doing a Western, and this seems like a way that's actually responsible from a marketing standpoint, doing an alien invasion Western seems like something very unique and different in the summer next year, which is going to be all superhero movies and sequels. Seems like an exciting thing that might actually emerge as something unique and different. It's a fun ride and it's a chance to do something that plays a little bit older and a little bit more fun."

That should take up most of the filmmaker's time in the next year, but many are already wondering whether he might return to the Marvel fold to do another Iron Man movie down the line, and after confirming that he thinks The Mandarin should be the key villain in any proposed threequel, he responded thusly, "They've asked me to be an Executive Producer on 'The Avengers' so I'll be there to help as much as the director would want me to. 'Iron Man 3' is years down the road, and that has to reflect the reality of what's been established not just in 'Iron Man 1 and 2,' but in movie time, between this film and that film, is 'The Incredible Hulk,' 'Thor,' 'Captain America,' and 'The Avengers.' I haven't had to inherit anybody else's backstory yet--it's just simply what we chose to use or not use from the comic books--so I'm feeling like I'm passing the baton and after all those movies are done, it's time to sit down and discuss if there's something I can bring to it, if it's something we want to do together, but that's way down the road."

We'll have the rest of our exclusive interview with Favreau later this week as Iron Man 2 rolls out across the globe (click here for worldwide release dates). Cowboys & Aliens is scheduled for a release on July 29, 2011.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• The Synopsis Revealed for Favreau's Cowboys & Aliens

Source: DreamWorks Pictures
    May 13, 2010

DreamWorks Pictures has revealed the official synopsis for "Iron Man" films director Jon Favreau's Cowboys & Aliens, starring Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Olivia Wilde, Sam Rockwell and Noah Ringer. Opening July 29, 2011, the film was written by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof:

1873. Arizona Territory. A stranger (Craig) with no memory of his past stumbles into the hard desert town of Absolution. The only hint to his history is a mysterious shackle that encircles one wrist. What he discovers is that the people of Absolution don't welcome strangers, and nobody makes a move on its streets unless ordered to do so by the iron-fisted Colonel Dolarhyde (Ford). It's a town that lives in fear.

But Absolution is about to experience fear it can scarcely comprehend as the desolate city is attacked by marauders from the sky. Screaming down with breathtaking velocity and blinding lights to abduct the helpless one by one, these monsters challenge everything the residents have ever known.

Now, the stranger they rejected is their only hope for salvation. As this gunslinger slowly starts to remember who he is and where he's been, he realizes he holds a secret that could give the town a fighting chance against the alien force. With the help of the elusive traveler Ella (Olivia Wilde), he pulls together a posse comprised of former opponents—townsfolk, Dolarhyde and his boys, outlaws and Apache warriors—all in danger of annihilation. United against a common enemy, they will prepare for an epic showdown for survival.

• I like Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig. I will say that I am interested in seeing this movie. Little "out there", I hope it is a good movie.

-John Wayne

• I am defintel onboard to watch this movie. I like both Craig and Ford. Plus Faverau has done quite well in directing the Iron Man moviesso I think it should be a fun movie.

-John Wayne

• It does look like fun. The supporting cast impressed me the most: Walton Goggins, Sam Rockwell, Keith Carradine, Clancy Brown and Adam Beach.
    Now if they come up with a decent traditional western score, I may just venture to the multiplex nest summer.

We deal in lead, friend.

• It does look like fun. The supporting cast impressed me the most: Walton Goggins, Sam Rockwell, Keith Carradine, Clancy Brown and Adam Beach.
    Now if they come up with a decent traditional western score, I may just venture to the multiplex nest summer.

We deal in lead, friend.

• And yet another article that caught my eye, "Would John Wayne approve of Cowboys & Aliens?"

• Found another article in the same vein, but with a few minor differences. "'Cowboys & Aliens' features John Wayne's Grandson in a role that might have surprised the Duke"

“I didn't get the John Wayne concept,” Brendan Wayne said. “I thought that was granddaddy, and didn't everybody's granddad ride horses and stuff?”

He remembers thinking of the man as “a big, goofy, you know, granddad ... just a really gentle, sweet, funny guy.”

“I was on the set of ‘The Shootist,' and I thought, ‘Oh, I betcha other people's parents and grandparents, this is where they worked.' Like, you know, this is normal. It wasn't until he passed that I was, like, Oh wait, he was a little more extraordinary than I had thought.

It started when he was sick and everybody at school was writing him get-well cards. And I went to Catholic school. I said to the nun, I said, ‘Sister Roberta Ann, my best friend Tony, his grandpa was sick, and the whole school didn't write him cards.'

You know, I think Harrison's in this movie, to be honest with you, because he's the closest thing we have to that character type. He's as tough as they get.

I find it interesting that the publicity department chose to play up the John Wayne angle.

• and Olivia Wilde is never hard on the eyes. :wink_smile:

Mark

Yep! You got that right!

I might need to change my review because it sounds like I didn't like it much (I would never make a very good critic). I really did enjoy the movie. I thought they got the sci-fi/horror part of the story right. My problem was with the cowboys! I just don't think modern Hollywood writers understand what makes a good Western character. They're not bad characters, they're just modern dark comic book characters that lacked that cowboy sense of humor and "let's go kick their butt" type attitude that would have worked better (IMHO) in this type of story. But besides that, as far as "Weird Western" movies go, this is probably the best one in a few years.

• "Cowboys And Aliens" (2011)
    -Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Olivia Wilde

Plot: IMDB
    1873. Arizona Territory. A stranger with no memory of his past stumbles into the hard desert town of Absolution. The only hint to his history is a mysterious shackle that encircles one wrist. What he discovers is that the people of Absolution don't welcome strangers, and nobody makes a move on its streets unless ordered to do so by the iron-fisted Colonel Dolarhyde (Ford). It's a town that lives in fear. But Absolution is about to experience fear it can scarcely comprehend as the desolate city is attacked by marauders from the sky. Screaming down with breathtaking velocity and blinding lights to abduct the helpless one by one, these monsters challenge everything the residents have ever known. Now, the stranger they rejected is their only hope for salvation. As this gunslinger slowly starts to remember who he is and where he's been...

Phantom's Review: HOT DAMN! This is the coolest movie I've seen in years. Now, everyone here, should know by now, that I love westerns. but I also love Science Fiction/Horror movies too, and I think it's very cool when these genres are mixed, unfortunately, 8 times out of 10 the result is pretty bad, but not this time. Plenty of great western action, good story line and excellent special FX. Harrison Ford was born to play in westerns, Daniel Craig is also very impressive and Olivia Wilde is absolutely gorgeous. This film may not be for everyone, but for me it was awesome.
    --

• Yep! You got that right!

I might need to change my review because it sounds like I didn't like it much (I would never make a very good critic). I really did enjoy the movie. I thought they got the sci-fi/horror part of the story right. My problem was with the cowboys! I just don't think modern Hollywood writers understand what makes a good Western character. They're not bad characters, they're just modern dark comic book characters that lacked that cowboy sense of humor and "let's go kick their butt" type attitude that would have worked better (IMHO) in this type of story. But besides that, as far as "Weird Western" movies go, this is probably the best one in a few years.

<some spoiler alerts here>

I just watched this movie and agree with you. It was full of character stereotypes ( stranger in town, cowardly shopkeeper, big man in town, big man in town's dull-witted son, comely female, stoic native american, timeworn sheriff, bad guy aliens, coming of age boy , etc. )
    but they all seemed rather muted. Harrison Ford was probably the most believable character. Daniel Craig was too wooden throughout- I never felt the anger that I thought would come...I guess its hard to punch an alien in the jaw or kick one in the groin when you've got a ray gun.

And I couldn't figure out why aliens were smart enough to get to Earth and have all that magical stuff to vacuum gold out of the earth but weren't smart enough to figure out what our weaknesses were after only checking out a couple humans, they needed a whole fleet of townspeople to study ?

As an aside I feel sorry for the guys that have to design scary aliens these days. I mean, I probably wasn't the only one in the theater thinking:
    " I've seen these aliens before, they look similar to the ones in the movie 'Alien' only the claw count is different. I guess all the lobster/dust mite/ tazmanian devil type aliens come from the same galaxy.

I liked the movie but had to suspend disbelief more than I would have liked for a western. Your movie enjoyment may vary...

• With special thanks to Phantomstranger for initializing this thread.

I have decided for continuity, to merge all the different threads,
    but a result, the continuity might be slightly out of sync.
    It will however benefit further ongoing discussion

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().