The Last Wagon (1956)

There are 2 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,774 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• THE LAST WAGON

DIRECTED BY DELMER DAVES
    MUSIC BY LIONEL NEWMAN
    TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX FILM CORPRATION

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Plot Summary
    When a handful of settlers survive an Apache attack on their wagon train they must put their lives into the hands of Comanche Todd, a white man who has lived with the Comanches most of his life and is wanted for the murder of three men.
    Written by A.L.Beneteau <[email protected]>

Cast
    Richard Widmark ... Comanche Todd
    Felicia Farr ... Jenny
    Susan Kohner ... Jolie Normand
    Tommy Rettig ... Billy
    Stephanie Griffin ... Valinda Normand
    Ray Stricklyn ... Clint
    Nick Adams ... Ridge
    Carl Benton Reid ... Gen. Howard
    Douglas Kennedy ... Col. Normand
    George Mathews ... Sheriff Bull Harper
    James Drury ... Lt. Kelly
    Ken Clark ... Sergeant
    and many more...

Directed
    Delmer Daves

Writing Credits
    James Edward Grant ... (screenplay)
    Delmer Daves ... (screenplay) and
    Gwen Bagni ... (screenplay)(story) (as Gwen Bagni Gielgud)

Produced
    William B. Hawks ... producer

Music
    Lionel Newman

Cinematography
    Wilfred M. Cline ... director of photography (as Wilfrid Cline)

Trivia
    Average Shot Length = ~6.7 seconds. Median Shot Length = ~6.1 seconds. Both values are fast for a reasonably early CinemaScope film.

Crazy Credits
    Opening credits prologue: 1873 Arizona Territory

Goofs
    Anachronisms
    During the first reel, the Sheriff shoots Comanche Todd (Richard Widmark) in the left shoulder. Todd clutches at his shoulder and, grimacing with pain, collapses on the ground and the Sheriff captures him. Directly afterwards, the wound disappears and the top of Todd's buckskin jacket sleeve remains unmarked throughout the rest of the film, as though the wounding had never happened.

Continuity
    During the last third of the film, Tommy Rettig's hair goes from being long and fair, with a fringe, to being short and dark and brushed back and then back again on two occasions.

Crew or equipment visible
    Just before The End title comes up, you can see the shadow of the camera crew as Todd rides off.

Memorable Quotes

Filming Locations
    Sedona, Arizona, USA
    Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona, Arizona, USA
    Red Rock Crossing, Sedona, Arizona, USA (opening titles and gunfight sequence)
    Bell Rock, Sedona, Arizona, USA
    Courthouse Butte, Sedona, Arizona, USA
    Schnebly Hill, Sedona, Arizona, USA
    Boynton Canyon, Sedona, Arizona, USA

Watch the Movie

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• The Last Wagon is a 1956 western film starring Richard Widmark.
    It was co-written and directed by Delmer Daves and tells a story set
    during the American Indian Wars: the survivors of an Indian massacre
    must rely on a man wanted for several murders to lead them out of danger.

Tommy Rettig, who plays Jenny's younger brother Billy, is re-united with Widmark.
    He played Widmark's son in the 1950 film noir Panic in the Streets.

Production
    The film was shot on location in Sedona, AZ, at the mouth of Oak Creek Canyon. Director Delmer Daves described the difficulty he had in finding a pristine location for the film, as his previous western, Broken Arrow (1950), had popularized the region. The film suffered some jarring continuity errors that somehow were not noticed in the preview theatre before the film was released. During the last third of the film, Tommy Rettig's hair goes from being long and fair, with a fringe, to being short back and sides and dark and brushed back and then back again on two occasions, once in the same scene.
    It was shot in DeLuxe Color and CinemaScope.

User Review

The film that made a movie fan out of me
    9 March 2002 | by Jeff Hill (jeffhill1) (Sapporo, Japan)"The Last Wagon" is the very first movie I ever went nuts over; and

Quote from jeff

I've been a movie fan ever since. I was nine and I didn't even want to go to the movies that Saturday night. But my parents wanted to see "Bus Stop" and they didn't want to get a baby sitter for me and my three year old brother, so they dragged us along. But they had made a mistake when reading the starting times of the films and when we got to the theater, "The Last Wagon", not "Bus Stop" was starting. From the moment Richard Widmark shot the first bad guy even before the opening credits and the enveloping overture, I was hooked on him, the western scenery, the action, the anthropological dramatization of Comanche vs. Apache tribal hostilities at the same time that all Native American cultures were being wiped out by encroaching white "civilization", and the enthralling background music. When the co-feature of "Bus Stop" concluded, I wanted to stay to see "The Last Wagon" again. My parents had to drag me out

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().