Welcome, New Members!

There are 1,696 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 629,266 times. The latest Post () was by FanoftheDuke67.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi DukeSnitsig

WELCOME to The JWMB-
    The Original John Wayne Message Board
    where fans come to have fun!

Please take a look around, we're a friendly bunch of folks,
    and there is a wealth of information to see, regarding the great man.

You may find these links useful:-

John Wayne:- A Newbies Guide to Duke

Link to Duke's Movies, Co-Stars- Pals Of The Saddle and Movie Locations

Hopefully you found our dedicated thread
    Wyoming Outlaw

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• WELCOME TO GARRY ARMSTRONG OUR NEWEST MEMBER. Garry followed me over here from my blog which he got from Colin's review of Scott's Three Bad Men.
    Pretty sure Garry knows a lot more stars and politicians than I do as he was a Radio, then long time TV Reporter for all his life. We have had great fun talking of the ones we both knew and others. I think he can bring a lot to this site and will get a lot from it also. Hope you will all welcome him....he has had quite a career. Here is something he wrote out for me, that I am going to use for an article on him for my blog. Since Scott wrote a book about Jilly and two about Sinatra, and I knew them both, we really got a kick out of Garry's stories about meeting them in Jilly's restaurant in Manhattan.

I will let this stay up a bit and then send him the link. Hope yall will welcome him.
    Don't know if he mentions it here, but he did some work with Robert Redford and was even in a movie..........until the second cut....down he went on the cutting room floor, LOL. KEITH

As for the TV/Radio years. Just the commercial/pro stuff. 4 years at ABC Network News ('66-70). Based in NYC. Covered Many national stories including MLK & RFK assassinations, '68 Presidential Conventions including the Riot-riddled Dem Convention in Chicago, Watts Riots, Woodstock, etc. Foreign stories included Vietnam (Tet Offensive and Closeup Profile over there with LBJ -- that's one of the funniest stories I'll share if you will remind me). 1970 --short stint as co-anchor at RKO-GeneralTV Affiliate in Hartford, Ct. That's where I met Katherine Hepburn). 1970-2001. Reporter/Sub Anchor at Ch-7 Boston (at times affiliated with ABC, CBS and now NBC). A Zillion stories including Albert DiSalvo profile (he became a pal while during time at Walpole State Prison), Court Ordered School Desegregation, The Gardener Museum Heist, 8 Presidential Races, The Tall Ships Bi-Centennial Coverage, Queen Elizabeth in Boston, Desmond Tutu, Mandela, Duke Wayne, etc. Multiple Awards including 3 Emmys. I was "Household Face" until the suits decided to "go in a different direction" a month after 9/11. The 31 years at one major market station (#5 or #6) is still a record, I believe. That's the short version of an overall 40 plus year career. I'm watching "Battle Cry" and checking in on my Red Sox on another dreary day.
    Later!!
    Garry( I'm still not sure about a name for the JW site. I was nicknamed "Kaching" during my working years because of my proficiency in getting multiple fees for stories. I had a small cash register and at day's end, I'd sit at my desk tallying up fees on the cash register. Hence, the nick name - "Kaching". To my surprise, I became something of a legend in the region and even network "talent" would seek me out about fees. At one point, AFTRA had a "Garry Armstrong clause" in its national contract. I had a vanity plate that said "Ka-Ching". My email handle became Kachingerosa @ --. Combination of Kaching and The Ponderosa. We have a sign at the top of our driveway that says "Welcome to Kachingerosa". I've had famous faces like Tip O'Neil and Teddy Kennedy greet me as "Ka-Ching". You can't make stuff like this up). But I don't know if Kaching would really "fly" on the JW site.

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Hello and Welcome DukeSnitsig. Glad you found us. Make yourself right at home.

Mark

Welcome DukeSnitsig. Sit back and take a tour. You won't make it around the whole site in one sitting, but you can find just about anything here. If you don't, ask......someone will know, KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Hi Gary

WELCOME to The JWMB-

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Greetings from Gainesville, Florida!

Although I am new to this forum and web site, I have been a huge fan and follower of JW since I was a child back in 1964(first movie I saw was *Sands of Iwo Jima*).......I hate to admit it, but I have amassed a huge collection of the Duke's films on DVD, and still collecting......

I hope to get some ideas from members as to (amoung other things) how I may find some particular films I don't already have, but first, I want to read in mass the many posts that all you have written of late.

Its an honor to be a member, and I thank you all for your generous welcome.....

Best Wishes To All!

Rob

• Hi Rob

WELCOME to The JWMB-

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hello all. It was great for me to find this forum as John Wayne has been a HUGE part of my life. Always has been. Not only was he a great star but also a great actor. More importantly he was a great American. The Duke could out act most with just a look. I struggled to come up with name for myself and decided on Col. Kirby. Was going to say Bulldog but they are one in the same. I have many stories and opinions to share and look forward to exchanging thoughts with you all. I just got done reading another Bio and that's how I stumbled here. I was looking for info on Paul Fix who was prominent in the book. I was not sure who he was but of course recognized him immediately.
    The book was written by a guy who spent time with Duke in London during the filming of Brannigan. Can you believe I forgot the title already? It was only a week ago I returned it but it was very well done. John Wayne, The man behind the Myth I believe it was called. Something like that. I have read at least a dozen books on Duke over the years and this one really has a lot of input by the people he worked with. I HIGHLY recommend it.
    One theme in the book was of Stalin and Mao actually putting out a contract on Duke's anti communist head. And almost getting him too. Yakima Canutt told most of this story but the author corroborates it with other actors including Peter Cushing and Orson Welles among others. I confess I had not known any of this before and it was eye raising to say the least...I'm sure many here already know about it but I have not read much here yet as I hope to.
    There may be bigger John Wayne fans in this world than I and I am happy to know that but I have to say they would be hard pressed to prove they love the man as much as I have always loved him. I am not ashamed to say that in the least. Even being a father of two and a grandfather of 3. It's good to be in the company of his admirers. Look forward to getting to know you all.
    Savoy Six, This is Bulldog. We'll try to make it in before the damn sun comes up.
    Savoy Six, Over and out.
    Col. Kirby

• Welcome Col. Kirby great to have you around and I hope you'll stick around and post more, we have a friendly community here and you're very welcome. Any questions just ask. The book your talking about is by Micheal Munn I too have read it recently and found it a very good read about Duke. We're all big Duke fans here and have some good and fun discussions. Welcome again and I hope you enjoy it here.

• Hi Col.Kirby

WELCOME to The JWMB-

What a great insightful first post,
    and thanks to Irish Duke being there to point you in the right direction.

You maybe interested in taking a look in
    Dukes Books
    forum

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Thank you Irish Duke and Ethan Edwards for the warm welcome and the helpful info. All very much appreciated. I feel right at home. Can't wait until I do have some more time to actually delve into this great site to see what others have written and to contribute myself.
    The Duke was THE biggest star when stars were really and truly stars. He will always shine brightly, never to be forgotten.
    Thanks again,
    Col. Kirby

• Thank you Irish Duke and Ethan Edwards for the warm welcome and the helpful info. All very much appreciated. I feel right at home. Can't wait until I do have some more time to actually delve into this great site to see what others have written and to contribute myself.
    The Duke was THE biggest star when stars were really and truly stars. He will always shine brightly, never to be forgotten.
    Thanks again,
    Col. Kirby

You're welcome,
    here is our review on the book you mentioned,
    and thanks to Irish Duke for posting about it

JOHN WAYNE: The Man Behind the Myth
    Michael Munn. (2004)
    Robson Books

According to this congenial biography by film journalist Munn, movie legend Wayne (1907–1979) was a hard worker who held tight to his beliefs and what he thought he should show on screen. Wayne's career did have its share of controversy (although he starred in cutthroat war films, Wayne didn't sign up for military service in WWII; he rejected communism, which made him the object of Stalinist threats; and the actor's given name is still debated), and Munn deftly addresses those hullabaloos while providing an overview of the actor's accomplishments. After playing football at USC, Wayne worked as a studio prop man, coming into early contact with director John Ford, who would direct Wayne in some of his most memorable performances, including 1952's The Quiet Man. Throughout their association, Ford treated Wayne erratically, disparaging his talents and lashing out at him for accepting a lead role from rival director Raoul Walsh (The Big Trail, 1930). Yet Ford and Wayne collaborated on 1939's Stagecoach, which gave birth to the serious western and the Ford-Wayne movie subgenre. Other highlights include Wayne's emergence as a heavy in 1948's Red River and his ferocious performance in 1956's The Searchers. Munn portrays the actor in his personal life as a man's man, who sustained friendships with tough cohorts like stuntman Yakima Canutt but failed in romance. Although the book takes an odd turn toward the end, when Munn links Wayne's patriotism and heroic persona to the heroic actions after September 11, overall, it's a fine tribute.

The latest book as far as I know, drawing on the authors conversation with Duke in London whilst making Brannigan and subsequent telephone and personal conversations with many of his co stars. It is this book that reveals the Communist plot to assasinate Duke in the 1950s and 60s. I have just finished it and it is quite a good read.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Welcome to the board, Col. Kirby. I have no doubt you will love it here. A great bunch of fans from all over the globe come here regularly. Looking forward to you becoming one of us.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "