Our Retirement Home In Oregon

There are 20 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,259 times. The latest Post () was by Hondo Duke Lane.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Well, we got the word yesterday afternoon, from a friend who lives in the area of our retirement home up in Oregon. All that's left standing is the chimney.

Thankfully, the house was unoccupied and insured. Hopefully, the insurance company will come through and not find some little loophole through which to yank our claim :headbonk: .

The most important thing is that there was no loss of life - structures and stuff can be replaced.

Thanks to all of you who have expressed your concern and kind thoughts.

Chester

• Wow, sorry to hear about your lose Chester and the Mrs. Hope everything turns out alright for you guys.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• hi chester and mrs c

sorry to hear that this happened hopefully they will give you the money to rebuild fingers crossed for you. glad that no one lost their life keep your chins up good things come to those who wait and i think you have waited long enough so it must be your time for some good to come your way

hooroo smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hello All
    Hi Chester and Mrs C, very sorry to hear your news, what a heartache. It must have been a special place for you to want to move there. It's not easy to figure why some of the saddest things happen in the lives of some of the nicest people. Life has it's curveballs but I trust that you will lean on each other and step back to the plate. Kilo

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hi,
    What crazy weather you have Stateside.
    The Pacific side, getting burnt to cinders,
    and the Atlantic side, getting drowned!!!
    It must be worrying times for everyone,
    with all this going on.
    Best of luck to everyone affected by these
    conditions,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Chester & the Mrs. - I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your retirement home. :( It seems bad things happen to good people. And you folks are among the best!
    I can't do much more than moral support, but I do have lots of that and am thinking high thoughts that good will come from this!
    Cheers - Jay ^^

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Ethan, it is true we have crazy weather. But you have to remember the US is a "big" country. Don't buy into the media hype, they like to blow everything out of proportion so they can get there ratings up higher. These types of things have been going on for many, many, many years and they will still happen many, many, many years down the road. I was watching the coverage of the latest hurricane that is hitting New Orleans, LA and it is bad, but man these people are just wacky when it somes to reporting this stuff. They like fall over themselves to give you the "drama". Just pathetic, report the happenings and move on!!

Ok, now I am down of my soapbox. Sorry if I hijacked your thread Chester.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi Chester & the Mrs, I am truely sorry for your loss and I wish a speedy conclusion on getting your insurance. I have a good friend who lives in Grants Pass, Ore and from his home, he can easily see smoke from the burning fires. He told me that one of the properties he does work on is totally destroyed. My heart goes out to you and the Mrs.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Thanks, all of you, for your kinds thoughts and prayers!

We just found out another sad part of this fire - Fred Krausse, who I may have mentioned previously, was a good friend of the Duke's and had a small museum next to his home up in Selma, Oregon. That museum was primarily logging-oriented, but he had several things that John Wayne had given him. The museum was one of the first structures destroyed by the same forest fire that ultimately burned down our place. I haven't talked to Fred since the fire, so hopefully his John Wayne memorabilia was able to be saved, but with the speed with which the fire initially spread, I have my doubts. In any case, I will be going up to Oregon this coming weekend and I will try to find out as much as I can.

Chester :newyear:

• Hi Mr and Mrs Chester,
    I am sad to hear that the news of your place in Oregon,
    seems to get worse by the day.
    I have travelled through Oregon ,and it is indeed
    a lovely State.
    I do hope that soon, it will be back to being lovely,
    and all your problems are behind you.
    I also hope that, at least, your friend has the memorabilia,
    safe and sound!

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Chester & the Mrs. My good friend who lives in grants Pass sent me an email this morning and said the fires are now about 80% beaten. I wish your friend the best as well and hope he saved the items that The Duke gave him.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hello All
    Hi Chester and Mrs C. I just got back from a week at the family cabin to hear about Hurricane Katrina, and the suffering of the folks down in New Orleans. It's been some year for weather. It must have been a shock to see ashes where dreams once existed. On another tangent I had a parcel waiting when I returned and last night we watched I married a woman, after all these years. Thanks again Mrs C for the E Bay tutorial. It's a shame about your place in Oregon though.
    Kilo

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hi Mr and Mrs Chester:

I like everyone else on this messageboard am very sorry to hear about your retirement home in Oregon destroyed as a result of this horrendous weather which has hit some parts of the USA. I am glad to hear that neither of you are your family were caught up in the Hurricane and it is also a blessing that you still have your own home. From what I have heard from the media in the UK is seems unlikely that Oregon will be restored to its former glory for many years I don't know what this means for your future plans but I want to wish you the best of luck as you are certainly due a little.

Regards
    Robbie

• I returned late last night from a quick trip up to Oregon. (In case there is any confusion among our friends overseas, Oregon is on the west coast of the US, north of California, and New Orleans is in the state of Louisiana, which is on the Gulf of Mexico in the southeastern part of the United States.)

Southern Oregon, where our property is located, is approximately 400 miles north of where we live in the Santa Cruz area on the Central California coast. It takes about eight hours to drive up there (this is without kids in the car :uhuh2: ). When I arrived up there, with two friends who had come with me, at first the forest fire area appeared very bleak and desolate, like what I would imagine a moonscape would be like. Apparently the fire had covered about 1800 acres, and burned 6 houses and several outbuildings, my home being one of the six. As I drove around the perimeter of the fire, to our driveway, the evidence of the fire was not seen as the trees there were green as usual, and as I continued up the long driveway (about a quarter of a mile), it was the beautiful green forest that I remembered. As I came around the last bend, all that changed suddenly :fear: and there was the burned out foundation of what had originally been a two story home. The fire had come in the back way, down from the ridge, almost like a finger, and had torched our house, and then stopped. When I looked at the fire map supplied by the Department of Forestry, I could see that our property was at the far reach of the territory covered by the fire, approximately two miles from the origin. The damage was done in a little over three hours from the start.

Fortunately, we had fire insurance and I met with the adjuster yesterday, and it sounds like we should be covered OK, although I haven't seen the check yet :rolleyes:. So hopefully, everything will work out for the good :) . Another positive note - I had three forty-foot truck trailers on the property, as storage containers, and all of them got through without so much as a scratch. Of course, the best news is that there was no loss of human life as a result of the fire, and the property loss was minimal, all things considered.

I didn't have a chance to check in with Fred Krausse this trip, but I expect to be going back up there in a few weeks and hope to at that time.

Thank you all for your concern, kind thoughts, and prayers. This is certainly nowhere near as serious as the problems on the Gulf Coast - may all involved there be in our prayers.

Chester :newyear:

• Hi Mr an Mrs Chester,
    You must be relieved, that there was no more suffering than
    necessary, from another show, of weather power.
    I might also add, having travelled through Washington,
    Oregon and California,
    this is at least one overseas friends who
    knows where it is!!

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England