The Searchers (1956)

There are 297 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 344,334 times. The latest Post () was by Tbone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Mark, well GOOD FOR YOU. That is a very astute observation. Were you "searching" for discrepancies or did it just jump out in your mind? I just went in and pulled up those scenes. I am 99.5 % certain that you are right. I believe that maybe the Look Scene, (I really loved her performance and believe as said in the commentaries that Marty's kicking her out of bed was not liked well now....it even said that Pappy was a bit uncomfortable with it...if you believe Peter, LOL), was filmed from the stage right of the Jorgensen's ranch. Sort of just around on the right side.
    I have found something in The Horse Soldiers after over 100 watchings that confuses me. I will post it there, and hopefully some of yall will be able to help me with it. It LOOKS as if Duke is overacting treMENdously!
    Way to go Mark....thanks for pointing it out. Shows how observant I am. This is the fourth time I have gotten The Searchers and watched parts of it hundreds of times.......never caught that. You Go Get 'em, Mark! KPKEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• No, KPKeith, I wasn't looking for discrepancies. It just finally jumped out at me. Does anyone know if that small pond is really there in Monument Valley, or was it man made for the film?

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I posted this earlier, but for some reason, it didn't take, so I'll post again.
    I watched The Searchers today and caught something I never noticed before. When Ethan and Martin come back to the Jorgensen's ranch after Brad was killed, they pass a small body of water in front of the house. Later in the film, Ethan and Martin are camped by a small body of water after the Indian woman, Look, caught up with them. The small lake is the same lake in front of the Jorgesen's. The bluffs in the distance are the same in both scenes, but they are supposed to be far away from the Jorgensen's ranch. I went back and forth several times to check. I shocked myself for noticing that, as I am never real observant of these types of things. I've never seen this pointed out in this thread, so I thought I would add it.Mark

The same thought went through my mind, as, there isn't much water around those parts. I suspect it might have been hauled in, or if there was a small creek, it was dammed up just for the movie. When you look at the terrain around that cabin, it doesn't look like much could survive around there, year round.

Chester :newyear:

• And it was Very muddy at the Jorgensen's. Not much of the other water seen in the movie is like that except for that mud hole Scar's group went through on the way to the River. Wonder why our guys didn't hit that mud hole, LOL? Also, I have ridden many horses into water,either standing or small running rivers that we slid down into on our horses' rumps. Some times we have all been going at a good "clip". And NO ONE's horse fell. Yet, all the Indians seemed to have their horses fall.....strange! Maybe Pappy just felt like doling out a little more money to the Navajos that day! KPKEITH

• Yes,it was rather strange that they were SO CLOSE to them. All of a sudden a rather wide gap developed between them.......probably when they stopped and took Duke's horse that I call "Spot" over to let Scar ride, LOL! Boy, are yall getting close or what, Jim?

Bought my first DVD to start a collection: John Wayne, the Tribute Collection $5. Has about 23 Bs, Angel and the Badman and McClintock. Most important was the interview with Ford in Monument Valley I had never seen. Hank Fonda actually HUGGED him, LOL.KPKEITH OT, sorry.

• Yes,it was rather strange that they were SO CLOSE to them. All of a sudden a rather wide gap developed between them.......probably when they stopped and took Duke's horse that I call "Spot" over to let Scar ride, LOL! Boy, are yall getting close or what, Jim?

Bought my first DVD to start a collection: John Wayne, the Tribute Collection $5. Has about 23 Bs, Angel and the Badman and McClintock. Most important was the interview with Ford in Monument Valley I had never seen. Hank Fonda actually HUGGED him, LOL.KPKEITH OT, sorry.

I have that same set (I believe) and think the Ford inetrview you are talking about is "The American West of John Ford". I really enjoyed it after not seeing it in years but found one line that Duke says in it to be disingenuous. When talking about all the action in the movies he said that none of the stuntmen or horses had every been seiously injured when we all know that is not the case.

Great set, a must have...
    Mine is still sealed, lol! Seriously need a stay-cation to get some viewing in!:wink_smile:

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"