The Searchers (1956)

There are 297 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 343,938 times. The latest Post () was by Tbone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Patrick has done TV and movies since that time, except he's been quiet for 10 years. Even a daytime soap, but Ive never heard of any major illness. He is 68 years old now...

• He's involved with the Cancer Institute, although that probably doesn't take much time. He has a magic act, but the only place I've of heard him performing was at the Bohemian Grove
    ( a large private group of the super rich and famous internationalists).

Knowing how these people think, they probably got more entertainment out of the fact that John Wayne's heir and apparent wasn't continuing his father's
    Rugged Nationalist Style of Americanism, than his magic,

Chester :newyear:

• Have just purchased a new 2 disc release of The Searchers. On the 2nd disc it has a very good extra, An Appreciation, featuring Curtis Hanson, John Milins and Martin Scorsese. They all speak very highly of the movie and how it affected them when they first saw it. Also it has an introduction by Patrick Wayne filmed at a location used in the film. The new digital transfer is also the best ive seen. This was purchased in Scotland, but presumably it's available over the pond!

Chris.

• I like "The Searchers" so much.
    and have 2 questions.
    1.how many years Ethan searching for debbie? 5,10or other?
    2. Is Ethan Aaron's younger brother or elder brother?

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Hi Sanda

The Search takes place over the course of five years, this is explicity stated by Duke when he threw a rock into the water prior to Debbie arriving at the camp and telling the searchers to leave.

I think Ethan is the younger brother and the reason I think this is because he looks younger, he is the one who went to fight in the American civil war which would usually have been done by the younger male members of a family.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi Robbie
    Thanks for your precise reply.

I'm plesant and settled down for your solution to my longtime doubt.

Five years search! I'm sorry that I don't notice duke's comment.

and Duke's real age in "The Searchers" was 49,
    older than Walte Coy (47 years old). It's funny, is'nt it?

Best regards H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• It's very plain how they feel about each other, but if they have actually acted accordingly, we will never know. I'm inclined to think that it is only unspoken desire, but then again I started watching movies in late 70's and the secret language of the time when things would not be shown directly is not instinctive to me as it probably was for the audience back then.

I don't believe in surrenders.

• This film gave Duke his golden opportunity to show the world that he could indeed act and boy did seize the chance. This is probably the best film done by the dynamic duo of Ford and Wayne, but in ranking the westerns he did in the 50's this one comes in just below Rio Bravo.

• Here is a Film Facts from Clive Woollands, used with his permission.

Howdy folks, it's time for another film fact, this time it's from the classic western 'The Searchers'.

Producers: Merian C. Cooper, C.V. Whitney, Screenplay: Frank S.
    Nugent, Cinematographer: Winton C. Hoch, Art Director: James Basevi,
    Frank Hotaling, Editor: Jack Murray, Distribution: Warner Bros.
    Pictures, Locations: Monument Valley, Arizona/Utah, Cost of
    Production: $3.75 million, Date of Production: 1955.

The Searchers is John Ford's 115th feature film.

The sequence where Ethan Edwards chases Debbie was actually filmed in 2 locations and patched together in post-production. The first side of the hill is in Monument Valley, the second is 1,200 miles (1,930km) away at Griffith Park in Los Angeles.

Natalie Wood says that she had a huge crush on Wayne's son, Patrick, during shooting.

For some reason, German born, American-educated, blue-eyed actor Henry Brandon seemed a natural choice to John Ford to play the Native American chief, Scar. Ford also cast him as an Indian in his 1961 film Two Rode Together.

Actress Dorothy Jordan, who plays the ill-fated Martha Edwards, was the wife of producer Merian C. Cooper.

Legend has it that Ward Bond caused panic on the set by unplugging the camera so he could plug in his electric razor. It's also claimed that he walked around naked in front of the windows of his room in an effort to attract actress Vera Miles.

By July, temperatures in Monument Valley had soared to over 82f (28c) and some cast and crew members fainted in the heat.

Regular Ford Stuntman Frank McGrath had spent the previous six months in plaster after breaking his back, but he had to do three separate stunts that called for him to fall from a horse and be dragged along.