The Searchers (1956)

There are 297 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 343,874 times. The latest Post () was by Tbone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Such a great movie, and I do not think there has ever been another movie made with a better ending. He comes into the movie from the start alone, and ends alone. John Ford was a great director.
    Andy:wink_smile:

:film: " When the legend becomes fact print the legend"

• It is so hard to beat this movie, wheather your comparing this to other Duke movies or movies of today. I consider It one of the best films ever made and I really doubt if one will ever come out to change my mind.

It's not always being fast or even accurate that counts, It's being willing.

• The scope of this movie is what I like about it with all the changes from Ethan and Martin, to the Rangers, and the Indians.

I have been thinking about John Ford and question if maybe in some ways did he hurt Duke's career? Duke was so loyal to Ford and everything Pappy did Duke would imitate. The use of the same actors in every movie after awhile may have gotten old for some viewers. We are devout fans, but borderline fans are not as tolerating. Just a few thoughts.

• A great and truly beautiful movie. Is it the best John Ford/John Wayne Collaboration? Maybe. :wink:
    I watched recently these wonderful DVD releases and my first thought was: WOW just beautiful!
    Maybe it's Dukes best performance and his best role. Ethan Edwards is such a complex character and one of the best Western figures I've ever seen. John Wayne was the perfect Cast for it. I also appreaciate all the other actors/actresses in this movie and their performances. IMO The Searchers should have got several Oscars and least for the best picture and best actor.
    It cannot be seen but John Wayne scalping Scar must have been a shock for the audience.
    Great performances, great photography ... amazing Movie! :teeth_smile:

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• I like so much this film,because it has a depth like few others.
    Reading here and there on the web I found this analysis and in particular I like this piece.

"The Searchers featured lots of desert and empty open space. It seems like an allegory for the philosophical search for truth. Though Ethan could see for miles in every direction, he couldn’t find the one thing he was looking for. Though he could follow tracks and make educated guesses as to Debbie’s location it took years to find her. Similarly, when people are looking for the truth on one issue they know the general direction they want to go but getting there takes years if indeed they ever arrive. I think that for Ethan the search is not just for his niece but also for himself. He seems to have lost his kindness, decency and much of what makes him human. Ethan is blatantly racist through most of the movie. He states that he would rather kill his niece than let her live as an Indian. At the end however, when he has the chance to kill her, he instead chooses to save her. It is not just his niece he has found, but also he has found himself and found a way to overcome his racism."

http://www.philfilms.utm.edu/1/searchers.htm

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

• Ok I just finished watching The Searchers.. Pity it was filmed in no mans land , Monument Valley . Surely they could have picked a better location than a desert. One look and a blind man could see you can't run cattle on that country..:bs: Still a good movie bar the s**** location.. When you see movies like the original My Friend Flicka filmed in beautiful country which would have made a far better back drop for this JW film..