The Searchers (1956)

There are 295 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 342,415 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Pinto the film is about an uncle trying to find his niece after she is taken away by raiding Indians not a cattle run. Wait until you see Red River. What do the cattle eat there??

I think the likes of Monument Valley were used so much as locations as it was so away from 20th Century annoyances like planes, telegraph polls and cars etc.

Duke's location for westerns in Durango Mexico was selected for much the same reasons.

I actually think the location of Monument Valley is hauntingly attractive but each to their own.

Mike

• I love Monument Valley. I think The Searchers is not only a fantastic film, but a feast for the eyes as well. I understand your point, Pinto, but if we used reality as a guide, just about all movies would be quilty of stretching it.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• monument valley is not a s..... location.it's the most beauiful landscape god put on this god forsakeing world.no other location would have suited the story of the searchers.

• Ford's films aren't supposed to be taken as a literal recreation of the Old West and ranching and sod-busting or what have you. He was a poet whose medium was film, and Monument Valley (and all the other locations he used) is the landscape that reflects his vision of humanity and its place in nature, and the emotional states of his characters. The Searchers is a portrait of an obsessed man who will stop at nothing in his quest, and Monument Valley with its starkness, its vastness, its startling enormous rock formations and its sheer implacability is the perfect place for Ethan Edwards' story to unfold.

• I'm not sure if it would be entirely impossible to farm at those locations, for example the Jorgenson ranch has access to water which would have been vital for farming.

Regards
    Robbie

• Why did John Wayne not get nominated an Oscar for "The Searchers." I can't believe anyone gave a better performance that year. In my opinion his best performance.

• Why did John Wayne not get nominated an Oscar for "The Searchers." I can't believe anyone gave a better performance that year. In my opinion his best performance.

He certainly deserved an Oscar for this role. I would say a mixture of politics from the Mc Carthy era plus the fact that the academy looked down on westerns as a genre.

• Thanks for posting that link. Peter Bogdanovich knows how to express an appreciation.

I wish Mr. Bogdanovich would make westerns. At least one a year from now until .... His development of Lonesome Dove in the 1970s, before it became a novel, is probably a large part of its success. And of course he made the greatest of all contemporary westerns in The Last Picture Show.

I found an old book, one of the earliest published "westerns" (no, not The Virginian), I'm going to send to his office.

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Edited once, last by Richard--W ().

• I am new, and I didn't read back through all the pages, but after over a hundred times watching The Searchers, sometimes with Peter Bogdonovich's commentary, I found a great many more places where Terry Wilson and Frank McGrath were seen. First, as I believe was said before, at the beginning of the dance, Terry was the second in the line, (Roberson was the first). Frank can be seen along the wall in various places. Also, in the "wedding prep room", Good and Bad Chuck are in the forefront with Ward. In the back are Ken Curtis, (to be groom), I believe, John Qualen, (Laurie's father), Frank McGrath in scene back left, and Terry Wilson in scene right. They all went out and were in the wedding party behind Ward.
    When everyone went outside for the "fisticuffs", Frank went Screen left with most of the Rangers and Terry right to stand with Duke and Roberson. After a brief interlude in the fight, it began again against the left wall. Frank and the violin player were knocked down and in danger of being injured by the fight. Roberson helped Frank up, (pretty positive this is accurate but done by numerous "still shots" by that wonderful DVD scene stopper, LOL!). Positive that Terry bodily picked up the violin player by his belt and shirt and moved him horizontally and at least three feet off the ground out of danger. Terry Wilson was tremendously strong as I noticed in multitudes of watching the first four year episodes of Wagon Train. Then when the boys were tuckered out, Frank and about 4 Rangers, including Ward and Roberson, picked up Ken Curtis.....Roberson then helped him stay up. Marty was left lying in the dirt whereas just Terry slipped his hands under Marty's arms and hauled him to his feet. Both fighters were "limp as dish rags", but Terry continued holding Marty up.
    After everyone left and only a few were in the house, Frank was sitting at the back wall and Terry at the door. By the time Terry was holding the door open for young Pat Wayne, Frank was by his side....his favorite place, LOL. When Ward is talking with Pat Wayne, you can see Frank and Terry behind his shoulder. They also were putting on their guns as were the rest of the Rangers. Last but not least that I saw was Frank,(as a Union Corporal and the bugler that came back with Pat Wayne before the charge. You could see him throughout that and also saw him jump a post on horseback. Then, he was behind Ward and next to Pat Wayne while Ward's rear was being patched up. Of course, I am sure you know that Cliff Lyons played Colonel Greenhill who rode up when Ward was getting his pants back on. Can't miss that voice of his! He hated to do dialogue because of it, but Ford usually gave him some.

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

Edited once, last by Hawkswill: Extras ().

• You know Hawkswill that was so accurate and in my thoughts, so correct. You are very observant in that scene with the players it's almost scary. Such detail in stage direction from your observations. I don't know all the characters you mention, but it seems that your details are dead on. And I imagine that you are telling me that Terry Wilson and Frank McGrath were playing multiple parts in the movie.

Would you say that most western movies do that? Meaning these EXTRAS may be seen playing multiple parts and positions in the same movie?

Very interesting post. I'll have to look closely at your description. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Hondo,
    Detail comes from a many hours of observation and knowledge of the "bit"
    players. Frank was one of the best horsemen ever, though due to his diminutive size, didn't usually get the BIG players double. And, even I missed Frank's being outside in the Searchers until today after 100s of viewings....your eyes are always taken to the action! Terry also was an excellent horseman as can be seen in quite a few Wagon Train episodes....once, he did the "walk" down the "SIX UP" pulling a stagecoach driven by Ward who had dropped the reins after being shot. If you ever see Wagon Train, look for the episode "The Jonas Murdock Story" with Noah Berry, Jr. After watching their prolonged fight scene, (Terry had no double, LOL), you will see a very definite knife fighting style of Terry's. Then, go watch Hondo again. Watch Wayne fight Silva and tell me what you see. Also, notice, Frank is a bit actor in this one, but he is also the one shot off the rock by Duke!
    Yes, Pappy Ford LOVED to use his stunt men in the actual movie....too bad it wasn't the day for CREDITING them, LOL. Frank and Terry probably did some horse falls and drags also....maybe why I didn't see them in the Rangers other than at the house.? Well,got my profile pic up,I think. Now, IS THERE ANY WAY TO FIND NEW POSTS except by going to the top an clicking on them and then going all through the movie to find them? Thanks, KP KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

Edited once, last by Hawkswill ().

• JEEZ, you have a good eye, amigo. I've noticed those guys in the scenes but could never articulate them as you did.
    I'm wondering if you ever read "The Fall Guy" by Roberson. The night in El Paso after "Hondo" with both Chucks, Frankie and Terry is one of the funniest things I've ever read in my long, long years.

We deal in lead, friend.